Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Science is not optional

Which magazine has the best articles worth saving?

Both excellence and panorama have become largely monthly sales ads and rarely have any thing Worth saving. Lots of articles about rich people writing checks to "build" cars. How hard it was and how much they suffered waiting for the car to come back from various shops. Followed by essays on how wonderful it was to turn the key and the engine goes vroom, the gear shift makes it go into gear Etc. Occasional fluff about how to check your tire pressure. Doesn't seem like they are providing any content Beyond historical documentation and new car promotions. Photo spreads of high-dollar Restorations for the air-cooled crowd . What is a better enthusiast magazine these days?

Last edited by rbogh901; 04-07-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Old 04-07-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What kind of content are you looking for? I first started getting Pano in 1993 and Excellence around that time as well. There have always been complaints about too many ads and content that doesn't appeal to everyone. It's hard to make a go of it publishing any magazines these days, so I think they have to balance with whatever pays the most bills.

The DIY articles are largely replaced by places like Pelican and Rennlist. I have most of the UpFixin volumes and in their day I think they were essential. But I hardly ever look at them anymore, there is better information online.

Mark
Old 04-07-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
RBogh, I was long a major consumer of certain car magazines but find most disappointing nowadays. As MSalvetti says, the business of publishing magazines has become a loser, so less resources are being invested and what I want now cannot be done in magazines anyhow...because what I want is the kind of stuff we all contribute here and on other websites. My daily browsing includes PP, ddk-online.com, abcgt.com, fchat.com, alfabb.com, garagejournal.com, bringatrailer.com, etc.

That doesn't answer your question, of course. I still get Classic & Sports Car but only pick up Excellence occasionally. Classic Porsche (from England) can be a fun air-travel read, but like all magazines now, I ask myself if it's worth the $$. If I had to recommend just one magazine, it wouldn't be one of the Porsche-related numbers, but rather MotorSport, which remains my favorite - and money well spent - as a combination of deep interviews with interesting people, insightful racing analysis and in-depth stories about cool racing cars (and sometimes, bikes). Best, John in CT
Old 04-08-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you own a 356 the 356 registry's magazine is worth of saving, lots of technical articles to understand and how to repair restore your Porsche.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

https://www.000magazine.com/the-magazine/
Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

At this point, none. In the 70s and 80s you needed the newsletters and magazines. But now there is far more knowledge on Pelican.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
-000- is excellent, in depth, and covers subject matter and have resources not available in other Porsche dedicated magazines.
Pete Stout, who was editor at Excellence and for Panorama had done an outstanding job with his new venue.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Panorama has been excellent the last couple of years.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 04-14-2018 at 08:00 PM..
Old 04-08-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
hi boys i have some magazines from California in 1970`s
Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Science is not optional

Many of the authors in the articles were very thorough and although some threads in Pelican are good they rarely can be expected to reach those levels of documentation. I understand that there are pressures that have driven the choices of the editors but also wonder if there are other magazines that might go beyond new car evaluations and superficial build stories.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbogh901 View Post
Many of the authors in the articles were very thorough and although some threads in Pelican are good they rarely can be expected to reach those levels of documentation. I understand that there are pressures that have driven the choices of the editors but also wonder if there are other magazines that might go beyond new car evaluations and superficial build stories.
There is good and fluff in any publication. Kinda depends on what you are looking for specifically.

There are a number of AMAZING DIY builds documented here in this forum if you take enough time to look.

Search threads by cnielsen, wayner, kghjr, flyn-hawn,or Jack Olsen to name a few.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 04-14-2018 at 08:18 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Another fan of 000, here.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
That’s a heavy subscription price....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
I still like excellence, but really enjoy the European mags like Total 911....

MattR
Old 04-15-2018, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=matt930s;10002153]Thatís a heavy subscription price....

-000- is more like investing in books or journals than in a general rag.
Reference material, sourcing, quality of bindings and artwork etc.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
As a PCA member since 1974, I used to save all my Panoramas, but now I only keep Excellence and 000. The internet has made most magazines inconsequential as all the technical information is searchable and available in a digital format. I find the same about my professional publications.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Classic Porsche Mag out or the UK. All air cool stuff you just can’t imagine
Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Not Porsche specific, but I really miss Hemmings sports and exotics.
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 04-19-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

While there's a wealth of info here and on the internet, still need to consider the source and cross-reference to validate the information.

Tech books and mags typically have editors and a lead time to verify published data is valid, thus the accuracy or the brevity of content thereof. Internet forums don't have that luxury. Users are left with opinions from various sources to deduce; some wives tales, some accurate, some not so much.

The magazine with the best "articles" used to be Playboy, but I'm dating myself.

Sherwood
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Science is not optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
While there's a wealth of info here and on the internet, still need to consider the source and cross-reference to validate the information.

Tech books and mags typically have editors and a lead time to verify published data is valid, thus the accuracy or the brevity of content thereof. Internet forums don't have that luxury. Users are left with opinions from various sources to deduce; some wives tales, some accurate, some not so much.

The magazine with the best "articles" used to be Playboy, but I'm dating myself.

Sherwood
My sense exactly. It seems like there is a lot on the forums however it doesn't reach the level that some of the dedicated articles used to. That is why they were worth keeping. I don't know if it's just me but I don't feel like I'm getting that as much from the glossy fluff stories these days.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Science is not optional

Some of the Forum threads are very good but I looked back at a random Panorama to see what was worth keeping. Take a look.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: