Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to brighton911
Help to ID this exhaust system

I bought this exhaust system from a local member and he thought it was a BB. It looks like it too until I saw a picture from KTL (thanks Kevin) of the BB muffler. This muffler has no bracket on it at all. Other tells may be the boss on the exhaust tip that mates to the bottom of the left side collector flange and the shape of the exhaust outlet. Anyone care to venture a guess as to the manufacturer? Thanks

Old 04-14-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Its an old ghl setup.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the answer.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
I think the headers are B&B for sure. The muffler looks like an old B&B that typically split at the case seams and also split at the pipe-muffler interface.

I think the muffler is also a B&B because it has the typical slip-joint fitment. Also the tailpipe connected to the muffler is fabricated like i've seen other B&B mufflers. The end is expanded/flared to slip over the muffler outlet and it's also slit to allow better compression of the pipe when it's clamped to the muffler.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Keven is right, same I have with the boat anchor muffler that has been fixed many times. Maybe why they call them "Billy Boat"

You will also need the special oil feed line to the engine as the stock is in the way of the headers. I made my own as the metal line they gave you was still pretty close the the hot headers
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.

Last edited by cgarr; 04-16-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the input guys. Yes, that muffler ain't a light weight at all. There must be special top secret stuff inside that contributes to living up to it's name BB (anchor). And yes, there has been repair work done around the inlet pipe area. I'm going to add a reinforcement from the muffler body to the inlet pipe. I think BB added it to later models, I recall a picture of it somewhere.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Craig is right about the special replacement S-hose. If the original rubber S-hose touches the header pipes it'll melt quickly. I was looking at making one out of 3/4" copper pipe but I need to bead the ends so the rubber hose couplings have something to grab onto.

The reinforced mufflers i've seen have seam plates welded to the straight part of the casing seams and the pipes have U-section supports. Check out the lower right of this picture to see what I mean

Old 04-16-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, that's the picture I recall seeing before. It looks like a simple effective way to sturdy it up. Thanks to Kevin for posting it again.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: