Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

To minimize the cost of any coating process, prep the parts as best you can (degrease, wire wheel, scrape, remove paint, etc.) before you show and ask for an estimate. If you ever did the above, you understand the time it takes to do it right).

Sherwood
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Always Be Fixing Cars

Plating/Powdercoating Prices-Yikes!

Guys this is 10000% doable at home. Get a $free-$50 craigslist electric oven, $100 eastwood dual voltage gun and have at. I am doing a full resto on a SWB Car and pretty much every part you would want coated fits in a full size home oven. I am so happy with this setup that I actually LOOK FORWARD to what was once the most annoying part of restoration and maintenance. I even think I came upon a decent version of fake-chromate via transparent gold powder (coil bracket is my fake, jack pad is real).

I realize all things Porsche resto have become a rich mans game but srsly folks, you can get lovely durable finishes at home for very little money and very high levels of satiafaction.

Last edited by r-mm; 04-16-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Always Be Fixing Cars

Plating/Powdercoating Prices-Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Powder coating goes on fairly thick and is just plain ugly unless you are fond of the 2000 Ford Taurus. Cerakote is applied in plating level thickness, is more durable and looks amazing. Many of my customers are high end restoration shops doing everything from early S's to 8-figure Ferraris. None of them have anything powder coated. For your fan & housing, Mark Motshagen (sp) only uses Cerakote, as do I. You can't get this kind of beauty and perfection with powder coating.

Im sorry I am calling shenanigans on this sentiment. A lot of people who do things Porsche Related are still, thankfully, hobbyists with passion and could care less about what the rich dudes do to their never driven 9 figure vehicles. Is cerakote superior? Of course. Is a billet titanium crank superior? Yup. Do I want to be shamed for not spending on either? No thank you. This forum was at one point full of dudes in their garages helping each other figure stuff out. Im still in that camp. Anyone want pointers on 2000 Ford Taurus coatings feel free to PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

If one process were superior to the other, there wouldn't be an "other". Paint has its place. So does plating and modern coatings. They're not necessarily interchangeable nor do they have the same visual and protective properties (e.g. plating vs painting threaded fasteners). Not sure how cranks made of Ti got into the discussion.

I found few direct comparisons between paint, powder coating and plating using the same test methods.

I thought this would yield some measurable differences - a test comparing various brake rotor coatings to see what's best in that particular application. Disregard the sales pitch for their brake pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EruHbT-sUis

Note: I thought that comparison was ideal and related to our interests, but unfortunately, that video is from day 1. We must wait 3 months to see the results.

One-on-one tests are easier to locate. Here's just one comparing aluminum anodizing and power coating (4 parts):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_2n_4BuGg

BTW, I found this demo on powder coating pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORDnv_iTCjA

The big variable in which coating process is best depends on what's being coated; a brake rotor or an engine bracket; suspension fasteners or Fuchs wheels. One could extrapolate the facts from these and other sources to determine the best cost-effective coating for the application you have in mind.

S
Old 04-16-2018, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Got the powdercoated stuff back today. Overall, it came out OK, though not nearly as nice as the Cerakote. The manifolds were simply blasted and clearcoated, and some of the flaws in the aluminum show through, as I knew would, but they look good overall. Lots of blasting grit inside them, though, stuck there by the oil residue in the manifold tracts. I'll do about a dozen hot water rinses with Simple Green and brush before I'm willing to put them on the car.

The fan looks OK in light gray, with the shroud looking less good in a slightly darker gray, for contrast, a frill that cost me a $125.00 setup fee, and which I would not do again. The flaws in the magnesium of the shroud are pretty ugly. But, it looks a ton better than it did. Now I'm waiting fr the fasteners to get back from the plater so I can put this thing back together.

I realize the colors are not especially adventurous here, with a red fan or something, but I like my bling a bit less pronounced.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: