Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rolling the front fenders on Carrera3.2/ SC

I don't want my tires catching on the fender. It already has once and I got it fixed. Someone told me there is a special tool and better than a basebal bat. I want peoples opinion on whether to roll the fenders. Seems like everybody does it. I had one guy that did it and regrets it. I do not want my 30 year old paint cracking. I also want to put 225/50 in the front and I have the 205/55 right now.
Opinion opinions opinions?

Last edited by Bracken Helmes; 04-14-2018 at 08:12 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Why do you want wider tires on the front?
Old 04-14-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
More rubber on the ground. A lot of the people I run with have 225/50 on the front. even with the stock 205/55 people still roll the fenders though.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

If you have 215s now and they are catching, it'll only get worse with the 225s and I don't think rolling will make that much difference.

What wheels do you have on your car? Factory Fuchs? What size?

I rolled mine slightly, but the tire/wheel combo I had was dragging a little on compression in corners using only 7x16 Fuchs with 205/55 tires. The correct size Fuchs for 205/55-16 tires is a 6x16 which will keep the tire narrow enough to not contact the fender.

I used a child size baseball bat (narrower for a low car). I think the trick to having undamaged paint is to go gradually and heat up the fender paint quite warm to the touch but not burning.

There is a special tool to roll the lips but it will still damage the paint if you do it incorrectly and get aggressive and try to go too far too fast.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 04-14-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, roll them or have them rolled. I am running 225/50/16 RE-11s in front. They rubbed a little before rolling. Seem fine now.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I used GE baseball bat and the phone book (yes phone book system, check that out). And worked fine. The roller tool is nice but these have worked fine for me.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Formerly known as Syzygy

Phone book? What's a phone book? And where would I get one?

Something that seems obvious to me but should still probably be said: if you use a bat, use a wood one so as to not damage your paint more than necessary. And use a cheap disposable one as the fender edge will chew into the wood of the bat and destroy its usefulness as a baseball tool.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 04-15-2018 at 09:34 AM..
Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
Phone book? What's a phone book? And where would I get one?

Something that seems obvious to me but should still probably be said: if you use a bat, use a wood one so as to not damage your paint more than necessary. And use a cheap disposable one as the fender edge will chew into the wood of the bat and destroy its usefulness as a baseball tool.
Kev, you need to come to Golden this summer! Oh, and bring your bat
Old 04-15-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have Fuchs 7 and 8s

Old 04-15-2018, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 sc , carrera 3.2 , fender , tires