Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tires For 911SC

I'm shopping for tires. Pacific Northwest, which means roads are usually wet. 16" wheels. Important to me:

* Grip
* Rain performance
* Grip
* Not terribly noisy
* Grip
* Stiffer sidewall, I think. Plus also.....
* Grip

The tires I am replacing are Kumho Ecsta MX, which have been very good tires but I'm not sure they are available now.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Kumho's or Toyo's
Old 04-15-2018, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

michelin pilot sport a/s3+ -- do great in the wet, also do great in the cold -- most impressed by the overall grip I get with these in warm dry conditions, given their versatility in the cold and wet. Never thought I'd recommend/appreciate an all-season tire for my 911 . . . .
Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Continental DW (or DWS if snow is needed).

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 04-15-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
Kumho's or Toyo's
Any brand. I wish the Kuhmo Ecsta MX were still available.

The venerable S-02 tire is still available, I see.

Yokohama S.Drive looks like a good tire. Certainly inexpensive.

Most of the tires look too much like a regular, long mileage, station wagon typoe tire. These Kuhmos I'm replacing have a very aggressive tread. Not very many lines. Mostly just big patches of soft rubber.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This is what I put on my 88' with 17" rims. Extremely happy with the "grip" and overall performance.

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/pilot-sport-2
Old 04-15-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Recently, I put a set of Continental DW ExtremeContact Sport on my 911 and have been using the DWS -06 on my Mercedes.

I am very happy with both of them.

When the tires on my Z4 die, they will also be DWS-06's as well. Good balance of road manners.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 04-15-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
dont know what size you are running but i noticed there are still re-11's 245 45 16 listed on the firestone website might be worth a phone call
Old 04-15-2018, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm happy with the Conti DWSes in my car and my priorities are similar to yours.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I also put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on late last summer. I've driven it through the winter and have been very happy with performance. I chose the all-weather to I could confidently drive when it is cold but not icy or snowy.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I went with Continental Sport Contact. N-rated. Seems very nice overall.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I'm running S02's here in Norway, similar situation with doses of wet. They are Porsche N-rated if that matters and available in the stock sizes. I'm happy with them and will buy them again.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I have re-11's on and have been very happy with grip and wet weather performance. But mostly warm weather driving and intense brief downpours.
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I put the Yokohama S.Drives on when I bought my car in 2011. They have a nice tread pattern.

They have been really good. Only 5000 miles, but probably last summer because of age.
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Retired Member

Garage
I too like grip and lots of canyon carving. Same issue with 16" wheels and limited selection. Want performance summer tires.

Put on about 8000 kms per driving season. Long distance touring to seek out the twisties.

Car has an aggressive alignment and firm suspension/lowered. Driving style in the twisties is assertive......load up the tires through the corners. Ya, load them hard.

With the right tires the car is completely neutral through the corners.

Loved the old Kumho MX. Great sidewall. Fair tread life. Would purchase again if I could get them. Burned through many sets and was very disappointed when I couldn't get them. I recall getting 2 fronts of the last 3 tries Discount Tire had in the USA.

I have tried a number of tires since.

Yoko Advan AD08 - perhaps the best tire for grip. Very light tire too - suspension responsive was amazing. Really firm side wall. Turn in and angle through the corner was always predictable. Wore out far too fast with less than 10,000kms. Had a couple sets. Hard to justify these tires for long distance driving.

Wanted something with a longer tread life and still keep the cost within reason. I'm a retiree driving like I'm in my mis-spent youth.

Conti DW - sidewall was far too soft. Light feel to the tire though. Car seemed to want to rotate with the backend wanting to come around. Scary tire for me. Was able to adjust my driving style for the tires - load up the tires and lots of throttle through the corners. Not happy with these tires.

BFG - Comp 2 - feels like one is wearing steel toe boots to run a 100 yd dash. Has a heavy slow feel to the tire. Sidewall is stiffer than the Conti DW. Dislike the turn in feel - slow. Load it up in the corner and it starts to squirm and change grip through the corner. I'm working the steering and throttle to get through the corner. Finally wore these enough to justify a replacement set this Fall.

Thinking of Firestone Indy 500 - a local tire shop recommended them. Slightly stiffer sidewall than the BFG. Bigger blocks of rubber for more stability. Rubber compounds are the same as Bridgestone. And, the price is reasonable.

So - that is my tire experience.....plan. But, that might change too.
1982 911 SC Targa - Rosie. Rosewood Metallic on Dark Brown and Black. Long distance road warrior. Restored - w/ some "safety" mods. Lowered w/ 23/29 t-bars | all poly bushings | sport bil's | 7 & 8 FUCHS | Zim drilled rotors | brake cool kit | short shifter | back date heat | AC, cruise, rear seat delete | sport motor & trans mounts | recurved dizzy | SSIs w/ Dansk Sport - more to come.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
S02Ns are great except when whet and cold. I am on my second set and will buy again. Great steering response. What the car deserves. I tried other brands and dislikes all of them except the Michelin A/S that was great too but n/a here
Old 08-20-2018, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I put S-drives on my car the first time, because they look cool.

I then put on a set of Conti DW , because they were highly rated. The S-drives were absolute crap compared to them.

Then, I put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on, because they were even better rated. The Contis...were absolute crap compared to them.

I've run 4 sets of PSS since then.

I have driven 70K miles in my car, more than many of you, and I can say that the only thing that will take me away from the PSS tires is when the new Pilot Sport 4 tires come out in 17 inch rims.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Another couple to consider; Dunlop Direzza and Hankook Ventus.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
You don't mention temps or longevity which will narrow your choices a lot. If you regularly drive in temps below 50F, an A/S tire offers the best grip and rain performance for those conditions and they last a long time. Michelin A/S 3+ or BFG Comp 2 A/S.

For summer temps only with max grip and relatively short life, nothing will touch RE71R. WAY more grip wet/dry than any other 200 TW tire.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

No one try the re71ís yet?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: