Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New to me 911

Hi,

Over the weekend I picked up my first 911. It is a 1977 911 S Targa that I won via a BAT auction.

The car has 186k miles and is in pretty good shape for a 40+ year old car.

I do have a couple of questions and was hoping for some ideas:

1. What type of gas should I put in the car? I'm assuming 87 octane with no ethanol content, is that correct?
2. I noticed the gas filler had what looked like 2 holes. What is the second hole for?
3. The current owner removed the radio and I'd like to re-add a radio. I am going to apply for Collector Plates here in BC, Canada so the radio has to appear original. Any suggestions for a good head unit that has the original look and feel but offers some current technology?
4. The interior was recently updated however the passenger floor carpet isn't attached to the car and slips and moves when the passenger gets in. I'd like to install it property and it also appears there isn't any sound deadening in the car, is that something I can install also?
5. The steering wheel appears to be original, is it a big deal to put in a new one?
6. The shifter is good but has quite a long throw, any ideas for updating it?
7. The auction also came with the original sport seats but the drivers bolster needs to be fixed. Any suggestions on where I can get this done?

Thanks for all your suggestions, as I mentioned this is my first 911 and I'm excited to own it.

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's always a point of debate, but use the highest octane rating you can find. Non-ethanol is good. But, I've been known to use 93 octane ethanol gas in my 76, 85 and 86 911's with no ill effects (so far)

The second hole (small translucent cap) is for washer fluid

Look for threads regarding the Continental radio

Lots of threads on carpeting, interior sound deadening etc. Choose what's right for you

Easy to change a steering wheel. Keep you original for later in case you want to change it back

Is the shifter throw longer than you would like or just vague?

Find a competent auto upholstery shop. They should be able to handle it. Otherwise a search on here will reveal several shops that do great work.

Also, post pictures of your new ride!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Kevin,

Welcome and congratulations. Like Bill said, let's see some pictures!

I think we all keep an eye on BaT and think about what could be. I personally wouldn't turn down a rustless W109 in nice colors. Mmmm.

For the shift feel, the first step is to replace the two bushings in the shift linkage (one at the end of the shifter, and one under the shift console) and the two bushings in the shift coupler (under the little door in the rear seat footwell). If that doesn't get you enough precision, there are shifters to buy (I like the JWest Rennshift, but there are others that Pelicans like). The forum has lots of answers; search is your friend.

Octane is a contentious question. The first thing to know is that octane is a measure of the fuel's resistance to ignition. It's not a measure of energy content. If what I read is correct, the mid-year 911s had a compression ratio of 8.5:1, which is quite low. This means that octane really isn't an issue for you. To buy any gas beyond regular is a waste of your money. My '80 SC is 9.5:1, and runs fine on regular.

Unlike Bill, I have had some problems with ethanol-adulterated fuel so I avoid it if I can.

Again, welcome! We await your pictures.

(Curiosity got the better of me: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-porsche-911s-targa-6/)

Last edited by RDM; 04-16-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats Kevin,

I can tell you from experience that the folks at the collectors department at ICBC are very good to work with. I simply created an aluminum cover plate for my radio and i was good to go. The collector plate process is a fairly straight forward one.

Where are you located? And let’s see pictures of that beauty!

Alex
Old 04-16-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 04-16-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Steve

Garage
congrads Kevin, I bought mine a couple of days before you on BAT, really liked the interior scheme on yours, best of luck with everything
Dune Buggy Dual Port 1835cc
1980 911SC Targa - Driver
Old 04-16-2018, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here are a couple of pics I downloaded of BAT
Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

wow - congrats and welcome - she's a looker.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Welcome.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice!
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats and welcome.
Sound deadening is overrated. A few pieces of velcro on the floors and the backs of the carpet and you're ready to go.
(It's also nice to be able to lift the carpet and air out the car if any water sneaks in)
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

radio -- another option is to hide a power amp under a seat (mine's under my passenger seat) and feed it music/etc. using your cellphone via a bluetooth receiver. Keeps things looking classic, but opens up a world of possibilities.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I watched that auction - looks like a great car to own. Welcome to having a 911! (I bought mine there several years ago, too.)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: