Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Brown Wire - Bosch Alternator - 1970T

This may be a candidate for the 'dumbest question of the day' award - but here goes anyway....

Existing alternator wiring at disassembly – braided ground strap to alternator & to engine case at approx. 10 o’clock position on photo.

This photo courtesy of another Pelicanite with a similar query.

I removed my alternator (a very long time ago) & have since forgotten where the brown 8 awg. ground connection terminates.

Nearly everyone says “it connects to the engine case”. That part is understandably clear however I cannot find (&/or have forgotten)
the location of the bolt or terminal post the ring lug connects to complete the circuit for said heavy brown wire.

I have the lead in question - approx. 11 ˝” (29 cm) with ring terminal type connections of identical size at either end & given
the fact it probably exits through the air diffuser horn on the alternator,(ref. 2nd photo) there is nothing jumping out at me as to the actual
connection point anywhere on the engine case to complete the grounding connection.

Am I wrong in assuming there are two separate grounding connections – the woven strap & the heavy gauge brown wire to the alternator?
My reason for asking is if the braided connection is all that is needed - where does the brown post-to-post wire belong?

I may be guilty of overlooking the obvious, but help or advice on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Cheers
JB
Old 04-16-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd put the brown wires on the D- post and use the braided strap on one of the air guide nuts.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
You appear to have the “T” style 2 pole DF and D- connector for your alternator.
Plug it in and connect the ground strap to the deflector nut as John said.
You have no fat brown wire in your original photo.
The other wires in your photo are Red to B+ and the blue wire D+
The braided strap connects to the top of the motor at a thru case bolt.

Last edited by timmy2; 04-16-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Thanks to Dennis & John for your replies.

Maybe I am obsessing too much about this 11 1/2"lg. 8 awg. as it turned up in my "important electrical bits box".
I have no recollection of where the 'fat brown wire' terminated or was connected to the alternator - it was 'just' there.

I guess this means I need not worry about this wire as long as all other connections (including the ground strap) agree with the schematic SL35 which I am using as a reference.

Thanks again Gents
Cheers
JB
Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: