Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Fuel Distributor = running rough / smoking??

So the car was running perfect but would take a long time to start in hot weather.. it was strange... It did that for a couple years and wasn't too big a deal. I took it in and the mechanic said the injectors are great and fuel distributor needs replacing.

I did the injectors first and that seem to make no difference and then recently replace the fuel distributor. NOW the car is running rough, will eventually die and smokes...

HELP!!! is there an adjustment I need to tweak? Is the rebuilt (Vertex) distributor no good? I'm at a loss.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bosch ID number.........

Tom,

Could you post the Bosch ID number of the fuel distributor on the aluminum tag? Basic tests:
a). The FD plunger should move freely with minimal resistance.
b). With the FP running and the FD plunger at rest, there should be no fuel delivery to the fuel lines (injectors removed).
c). All six (6) ports should deliver equal amount of fuel. You need to measure the volume delivered by individual port. Calibration could be off too.
d). It should hold the residual fuel pressure for 30 mins.

Your problem could be caused by an out of spec WUR. So you need to test your control fuel pressures too.

Tony
Old 04-17-2018, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Tony. So less fuel to an injector would cause smoke? Also, if the WUR was ok before installation what are the odds of failure without running the car? I'm clueless..
Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Go see Howard. He can sort that out for you. Tell him the Gold Tooth sent you.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ok... Well I forgot to mention I'm an idiot... all that it needed was a fuel mixture adjustment...
In all of these years I have never done it... and this video was an excellent resource.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TcAzqKxWgY
Old 04-18-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

WELL It's alive and well... maybe a tiny bit more adjusting but she is back on the road!!!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

great looking car.
I love the polished fuchs best of all and I don't see many anymore.

as the engines get older and develop air leaks, carbon build up, wear, things get adjusted to compensate which is fine. then you go and make something new again you have to readjust.

its best to check pressures and do a tune up and set timing first.

if the lambda system is still being used I would take it and have it adjusted by someone that knows the car.
if not, you can make it richer until either the idle surges or the RPMS drop down then come back up when you let off the gas and then lean it out a tad until it no longer does either and you should be good on mixture.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:

Last edited by T77911S; 04-19-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Old 04-19-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Is that a marble driveway?

Bill K
Old 04-19-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the fuel adjustments. It does still need some tweaking. I actually been playing with my 80 and it was pretty off as well based on the comments above about the idle getting high again after you take your foot off the gas.

On the driveway.. it is stained, scored, and seal concrete. It took me about a month to get it all done... working 4 to 8 hours a day on the weekends. I'm pretty happy with it!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

when you take your foot off the gas and the idle stays hi is normal. that is the decal valve.
you can bypass that if you don't like it.

when the RPM comes down and drops down below normal idke then comes back up is a sign of too rich. I always ran my 77s on edge of doing that along with on the edge of wanting to surge at idle. you want just lean of those 2 conditions.
provided you are not running closed loop
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 04-30-2018, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: