Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Euromeister Wheels

I've asked about tires, and now I am asking about wheels. Pelican sells "Euromesiter" Fuch replica wheels in 17" diameters. Lots more tire choices in that size. But I'm nervous about cheap (under $1K each) wheels. I'm nervous about whether they would be allowed on Driver Education days at the track, for example. I wonder if any of you guys have experience with these Euromeister wheels, or other low-priced wheels in the 17" diameter size.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ancora Imparo

Garage
I am just installing them on my 82 SC. They have generally good ratings. They are not forged track wheels, but certainly great for driving around town. Damage one? You’re only out $200!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It took six years of hard AX and a track day but I was able to crack a rear. Discovered it taking them off this fall. No catastrophic failure (yet I guess) but just a 1" hairline crack.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mine have been on over a year, used not eh street but not washed often or treated particularly well.
Wash them and they look great. You cannot beat them for the price, and the balanced right up. Friends have them too, all look great.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My region will not allow replica Fuchs like Euromeisters as stated in their rules. You will need to check the rules carefully where you intend to run.

I ran them on the street for a while with no problem but ended up going with real fuchs after a year.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am in the process of changing out my stock Fuchs 16 x 6&7s for a set of 7&8's. My plan was to buy a pair of 8x16s and move my 7s to the rear. That plan was scrapped when it became obvious I could not justify paying the crazy prices for 8 x 16 real Fuchs.

I considered Euromeisters, but ended up going with Maxilites 911 Carrera 2.7/3.0/3.2. They were only a bit more than the Euromeisters, and were a little lighter, iirc. From what I could find in the forums, they have worked well. I don't plan on tracking the car. I have a set of four, in 7&8's in my shop, with no tires as yet. You are welcome to drop by and have a look.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayles View Post
My region will not allow replica Fuchs like Euromeisters as stated in their rules. You will need to check the rules carefully where you intend to run.

I ran them on the street for a while with no problem but ended up going with real fuchs after a year.
Really? Puget Sound PCA doesn't allow them? Hmm. I was not aware of that. Lamentably, we don't get many air cooled cars at our track events these days. Like maybe 4 or 5 out of a hundred car event. A far cry from the days when my water pumper 944 was the exception to the air cooled rule.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes, there was something about replica Fuchs v forged wheels. Here is the quote as I found it before for DEs. Looks like they have updated the site and maybe the rules too. This is from 2016:

Wheels
Any safe wheel, except aftermarket cast imitation Fuchs alloys, are acceptable. Carefully check older wheels for cracking at the lug seat. Insure valve stem brace is installed, if applicable. Check that valves & valve stems are secure. We recommend Porsche original hardware. Under no condition should a repaired alloy wheel be used!

Last edited by Ayles; 04-17-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
It took six years of hard AX and a track day but I was able to crack a rear. Discovered it taking them off this fall. No catastrophic failure (yet I guess) but just a 1" hairline crack.
Where was the crack ? Picture ?
Old 04-18-2018, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

And an example of how hard I lean on the wheels to show why I'm not upset about the crack:

That's a 245 width rear almost being pulled off the bead, at full rear compression into the bumpstops, with the car almost on two wheels (I have a photo of the car on two wheels at this spot.)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
. . . Lots more tire choices in that size.
Hey Sup, I used to think the same thing. But have you gone to the Tire Rack site to compare? There are 4 pages of tires for the 16" tire versus 3 pages for the 17" rim. Also 6 choices for Extreme Performance tires in 16" versus 1 for 17".

So I stayed with 16's. It looks to me like the tire industry is bypassing 17" tires in the sizes we need and going right to 18's.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Talk about lame. Some of these clubs are getting really silly with some of their rules. I get that you want safe vehicles but these wheels are plenty safe. Stock, original Fuchs are not so much. Many of them are starting to crack etc, even in street use. I would not want to do track days with original Fuchs. In fact I plan on taking the original Fuchs off my Anniversary car, and save them for shows like Werks, because I would hate to crack one in a pothole.

Quote:
Wheels
Any safe wheel, except aftermarket cast imitation Fuchs alloys, are acceptable. Carefully check older wheels for cracking at the lug seat. Insure valve stem brace is installed, if applicable. Check that valves & valve stems are secure. We recommend Porsche original hardware. Under no condition should a repaired alloy wheel be used!
So any cast wheel is ok, except an imitation ****s alloy? What sense does that make at all? There are a ton of really unsafe cast wheels out there that are not imitation Fuchs. I know, I have broken a few, including a pressure cast TSW, at a track day. That is wild.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles

Last edited by Duc Hunter; 04-18-2018 at 04:30 AM..
Old 04-18-2018, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
I agree, seems kind of random to single out imitation fuchs. Even Braid is a cast product I believe but they state its a quality casting process with lots of race experience to back them up. Allowing 30 year old (+/-) OEM is the kicker. Same goes for the OE lap belts vs. brand new 5 point harness. Safety is really all about the driver deciding what is acceptable, no-one else can do that for you. I've got a set or Euro's for street and Fikse's for DE's both in 17" but the use was more for looks and by timing of when I acquired them. Also have some 15" cast cheapie Mahle's that I wore a set of RA1's off at the track.
Black 12 VW-GTI, little bit fancy for me but hoping not a mistake.

Last edited by Jesse16; 04-18-2018 at 05:14 AM..
Old 04-18-2018, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I love mine! 17X7 is all I could stuff under mine since I have a narrowbody.

I shopped around and found them for $160/wheel plus shipping.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
And an example of how hard I lean on the wheels to show why I'm not upset about the crack:

That's a 245 width rear almost being pulled off the bead, at full rear compression into the bumpstops, with the car almost on two wheels (I have a photo of the car on two wheels at this spot.)
Great pic, Matt! Looks like that thing is mighty stiff.

I agree with the general consensus that a new forged wheel is likely just as safe as a 30+ year old Fuchs. I ran an extremely tweaked Cayman on a set of OZ Allegeritas and they held up just fine.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

any other failures want to post? This is quite interesting as I never gave two thoughts about a wheel being prone to failure. I mean, it makes sense that forging alloy would result in a stronger metal but seeing the crack is something else.
What if one was to cryo and shotpeen the wheels? Any benefit there?
'01.5 B5 S4 the previous money pit (sold)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The replica Fuchs rule is not something that has recently been enacted by regions. This dates back many years long before the Euromeisters came along. There were fake Fuchs in the aftermarket that are really shoddy construction. I was sold a pair of these wheels back in the early 2000s. The casting is really rough on the back side of the wheels and you can clearly see & feel the difference in the quality of the wheels when you compare an original Fuchs to the crappy replica.

There's a picture of the fake that has been floated around the forums and internet for years with the entire center hub of the wheel missing from the rim. I think it's these wheels that started the ban of fake Fuchs. That said, it's created a poo-poo effect on cast wheels. Yeah the traditional 911 Fuchs is forged and that's great. But cast wheels aren't all bad. There have been a lot of cast wheels used on Porsches for many many years and they're very good, strong wheels. The "phone dials" and the "cookie cutters" are both cast wheels made by ATS and are very good wheels. The cookie cutters have been used for years by the Spec 944 racing class with no problems. Think of the 964 and later 911s. All those "cup" and Design 90 wheels are cast and they're not banned from DE use.

Now don't get me wrong. There are some crap wheels out there in the aftermarket and if they seem too cheap to be true, then trust your gut. TSW wheels look nice but yes they're know to be bend happy. I had a set of Mille Miglia Cup 2 wheels (replicas of the 993 17" wheel) and three of the four had large dents in them. Probably from metro Chicago potholes. But at least they bent and didn't crack?

Even the almighty Fuchs 911 wheels are not infallible. Lots of guys have posted on here over the years of their Fuchs cracking. It usually cracks from a lug hole to the center bore. Nothing lasts forever and especially when they're subjected to years of hard use at the track with reasonably sticky tires. When you buy a set of used Fuchs, you don't know their history and most likely neither does the person you're buying them from. So i'd strongly argue that i'd take a modern forged wheel over a 30 yr. old Fuchs wheel any day!

As an aside, i'm rather surprised how many people have used Fuchs as donor centers to make race wheels by either bolting them to rim halves or welding them into barrels. Yeah the centers are forged but who knows their history and how much life is left in them?

I guess my point is you just never know. So it's very wise to check your wheels before and after a driving event. Clean the wheels inside and out and spend the short amount of time it takes look them over. The same goes for other heavily loaded parts of the car. These cars are only getting older (said Captain Obvious) and that means things are going to break more frequently than we've seen in the past.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"

Last edited by KTL; 04-18-2018 at 08:28 AM..
Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
are the fakes DOT approved?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
The replica Fuchs rule is not something that has recently been enacted by regions. This dates back many years long before the Euromeisters came along. There were fake Fuchs in the aftermarket that are really shoddy construction. I was sold a pair of these wheels back in the early 2000s. The casting is really rough on the back side of the wheels and you can clearly see & feel the difference in the quality of the wheels when you compare an original Fuchs to the crappy replica.
This is DEFINITELY true. My car came with a set of those fake fuchs and they were ******* garbage wheels. I had them balanced 2 or 3 times and could not get rid of a shake, wound up selling all four of them for $250 or something to a guy building a 944. They were raw aluminum on front, no clearcoat, and the back had JLI cast into them. I think they were sand-cast, then hand polished in front, the back was very rough. Utter crap. Euromeisters seem much nicer by comparison.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: