Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Well it was obvious what was wrong after starting to pressurize with Nitrogen. Didn’t even get to 100 before before the hose and fitting popped off the TXV. Apparently it wasn’t on well enough! The O ring looks fine.

Will have to take the air box out unfortunately. Fun times. Thanks for the continued advice and support!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Iím subíd too.

GL
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Pushinrice, great progress. I am finally able to get back to my install, and was curious as to where your sourcing Nitogeon from? Although I was successful at installing my air box (evaporator) without the a/c hoses connected to it, I wasn’t able to get the air box connected once I had installed the a/c hoses if I ran the hoses as you did, because I couldn’t shift the box far enough towards the driver’s side because of interference. I re-routed the rubber hoses behind the box and was successful. I highly recommend to anybody beginning their install to bend all 3 of the upper tabs formerly used to secure the air box fiberboard shield to provide easier installation of the air box and to avoid scraping the finish of the box.

Regards,
David
Old 06-18-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

^ That's interesting. I can and do take the blower in and out with the hoses connected (and charged). This could be a LHD/RHD thing, my brake booster being on the non TXV side so perhaps a little easier.

PushinRice, I'd be surprised if you can't get an Allen wrench in there but you might just have to remove the right hand lower air duct.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny, there would be a lot more room if the a/c hose connection were on the opposite side of the box as there is interference with both one of the brake sensors and the rubber brake booster vacuum line. It’s ok if you run the hoses along the backside of the box to the passenger side like I did, but it is nearly impossible to pass the lines on the left side of the car.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

^ Unfortunately, the TXV valve would end up at a strange angle if it were on the other side.

You should still be able to rotate the blower back to disengage the scoop then pull the left side towards you to remove it with the hoses attached. This should give enough room to tighten the TXV valve fittings at least.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Hey David. I got a 40lb tank of Nitrogen at a local HVAC supply store. You might have an Airgas near you? You don't need a license to get Nitrogen, but you do for Refrigerant.

Jonny, I'm looking at it and I'm definitely going to try to just take out the valve. It seems like I should be able to. Would be the much easier route!

Yes on the LHD cars its very tight in the brake booster area. I'll take a pic of mine, I was able to make it work above the hard brake lines.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
I have been able to pull my blower out with the hoses connected. Itís nit easy but it can happen. Mines been in/out a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
Pushinrice, great progress. I am finally able to get back to my install, and was curious as to where your sourcing Nitogeon from? Although I was successful at installing my air box (evaporator) without the a/c hoses connected to it, I wasnít able to get the air box connected once I had installed the a/c hoses if I ran the hoses as you did, because I couldnít shift the box far enough towards the driverís side because of interference. I re-routed the rubber hoses behind the box and was successful. I highly recommend to anybody beginning their install to bend all 3 of the upper tabs formerly used to secure the air box fiberboard shield to provide easier installation of the air box and to avoid scraping the finish of the box.

Regards,
David
Old 06-23-2018, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
PushinRice...any progress on your AC?

I find that I don't have to use a Y tube on my 930 so I don't need it. But for anyone who may want to use a Y tube which I'm sure would work better for SC I'll sell it for $20...just drop me a PM.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Nice documentation Pushin. Very curious to see how this goes.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Hey guys, I canít believe itís been a month since Iíve posted. I have no update. Working on a fueling issue and now currently on vacation this week.

I see that some other guys have banged this out in a week. I wish I could dedicate that much time in a row to this.

Iím close and Iím confident it will work. Just need to make it happen
Old 07-23-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
This install will never end. I don't know what I did wrong to deserve this.

Noticed the blue button wasn't fully illuminating when the car is on. Only got a slight blue flicker on startup. Tracing the wires back and the wires got stripped from the button at the point it goes through the firewall. I'm begging to retrace the wires and resolder them.

Took the blower box out to help diagnose and reinstall the TXV on the side that blew off on testing. So I'm further away than I was before.

I can say that this has been the least enjoyable automotive install I have done. I'm jealous of everyone else that has had an easy time. This is nothing against Jonny or Classic Retrofit or the product. Maybe I'm just not meant for projects like this at this point in my life. Ugh
Old 07-31-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry tontear of the setback, but donīt lose hope as you are nearing the end of the install, and based on my results you will be very happy with the system.

Regards,
David
Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah...that's a bummer about dealing with setbacks. I've been thru several minor setbacks, too but for different reasons. I told my wife it's like for every step forward I faced two steps back...well I may be exaggerating. Anyhow you become more familiar with how everything goes together the 2nd time since there's some custom work that needs to be done the 1st time. I'm still plugging away with my install doing the electrical wiring. Keep it up...you'll get it done!!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushinRice View Post
This install will never end. I don't know what I did wrong to deserve this.

Noticed the blue button wasn't fully illuminating when the car is on. Only got a slight blue flicker on startup. Tracing the wires back and the wires got stripped from the button at the point it goes through the firewall. I'm begging to retrace the wires and resolder them.

Took the blower box out to help diagnose and reinstall the TXV on the side that blew off on testing. So I'm further away than I was before.

I can say that this has been the least enjoyable automotive install I have done. I'm jealous of everyone else that has had an easy time. This is nothing against Jonny or Classic Retrofit or the product. Maybe I'm just not meant for projects like this at this point in my life. Ugh

I'm into the driving and testing phases of mine and I can completely relate. It was certainly a DIY challenge but enjoyed the time I spent doing it with my dad. We have run into all sorts of issues along the way. Trust me when I say that you will love it when you get there! One issue I'm struggling with still is that the driver side vent blows significantly harder than my center and pass vents. Feel free to PM me if you run into anything odd along the way!

-Will
Old 05-21-2019, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Hey guys, thanks for the honesty here. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Putting AC in a car from scratch is a big deal! You have to learn a bit of everything - mechanical, wiring, plumbing, pressures etc. We have tiny cars so it’s all a bit of a squeeze.

Having shipped over 200 systems now, we are actually quite surprised how few questions we get about installs but we are here to support you. Please do email or call. The world isn’t such a big place anymore and internet calls are cheap!

We also have some really great DIY’ers over in the US who have been amazing in supporting others with their installs. I’m looking at you Chris (Duc Hunter) and Michael O’Neal (aka rennch).

We will incorporate feedback and more pictures into the next revision of the install manual.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the honesty here. Donít be too hard on yourself. Putting AC in a car from scratch is a big deal! You have to learn a bit of everything - mechanical, wiring, plumbing, pressures etc. We have tiny cars so itís all a bit of a squeeze.

Having shipped over 200 systems now, we are actually quite surprised how few questions we get about installs but we are here to support you. Please do email or call. The world isnít such a big place anymore and internet calls are cheap!

We also have some really great DIYíers over in the US who have been amazing in supporting others with their installs. Iím looking at you Chris (Duc Hunter) and Michael OíNeal (aka rennch).

We will incorporate feedback and more pictures into the next revision of the install manual.
I can attest to this as Chris and Jonny have been fantastic in aiding me with my installation. I am super happy with the kit! Just working on the finer details at this time.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny, thanks for the kudos. Just trying to do what I can to help a get product out. PushinRice, PM me if you have issues. Maybe another brain who has been through this battle can help?

I will say here int he US most A/C shops look at you like you are an alien if you ask them tom pressure test a system. They all want to vacuum down a system. That is great, and drys out the drier etc. Think about it though, sucking a system down to vacuum pulls all the connections closet together. Pressure testing pushes them apart. So you will find more leaks when pressure testing. My advice, PRESSURE TEST!

In Florid it will be 94F, and the humidity is 65%. This is about s brutal as a climate can be on an A/C system. My car also has no het insulation in the roof, and is a beat up black car. All of that said I find the system works great. Even heat soaked to 130F, the system makes the car comfortable to drive in. My 89 that is silver has a fully upgraded system from RetroAir (Like a Kuel or Griffiths system). It works ok, but Jonny's is much better. If my car was Silver VS black it would be another massive improvement.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: