Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Almost finished - the complete restoration of my 87 Carrera

This is Part 2 of the complete rebuild. See the link just below to the first part which include the rebuilding and restoration of the engine, followed by the suspension, new brakes etc...

Please note that while I am calling this "restoration" the exterior and interior of the car is modified. The engine was kept stock and so is the suspension and brakes, although some of the parts I used were not original Porsche but after market I consider those an upgrade to the original. For example I used Billstein instead of Boge, and Zimmermann coated rotors vs. the actual factory.

Part 1: 1987 911 Carrera Rebuilding Engine Suspension Brakes and more to come

After all the mechanical things were done, it came to the body and interior. Well, this is how that went down.

The car was OK to begin with, but it had some dings, and chips, and the trim wasn't fitting right, the decklid was crooked etc...

Here are some before pictures just to give you an idea...

This seal is not only broken, but the wrong one.

The door is actually closed here... hmmm

As you can see the car needed some work that of course turned into more (as usual), but I also wanted to modify the body, so I bought a set of fiberglass bumpers that I thought would be perfect. When we test fitted the front one on the car we realized that this bumper might not be very practical with the long overhangs in the corners, unless I only wanted to drive on track, but that wasn't the idea. This car was going to be kind of a street rod, so I ditched the front bumper and bought another one that did not have the splitter on the bottom.
Complete restoration in progress

Last edited by 3Ddesigns911; 04-29-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It is a very good fitting bumper but I was afraid it would get hung up and I was just asking for trouble. (BTW it's for sale)

The back bumper is a RUF knock off and it worked out really well with the modified muffler. I do have the stock muffler and it's in great shape, but we wanted a throatier sound and the look to go with it. This setup works really well. One in and one out right through the bumper - no snaking tail pipe. I think I have already posted more pix of the rear bumper showing the heat shield etc.

Carbon fiber/stainless steel tip, also acts as heat shield to protect the bumper.

It's still a bit too long here, will get trimmed later...

Here are the bumpers primed

... and the perforated aluminum mesh test fitted

The mounting screws of the grill are accessible from the front so it's easy to remove it if needed access behind it.

The same perforated aluminum grill is going in the ducktail
Old 04-27-2018, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The car with no doors and bumpers, work prepping in progress...

primed door jamb

in the paint booth. The ducktail, doors and small parts are waiting for the clear
Old 04-27-2018, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The car and parts are out of the paint booth.

More work in progress. Assembly pictures.

The interior "bucket" was ordered from Germany, it has no small light bulb socket.

Clear Hella lenses in H4 rings.

Vitaloni mirror on the stock base finished to body color

Both headlights are in.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
A couple more shots showing the stripped and brushed targa bar and door handles.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The same thing happened to the interior. The original was in OK shape, but the leather was dry and the front seats have been dyed the wrong shade of red. There was a hole on the driver seat bolster and the door cards were warped because they removed the vapor barrier for some reason. Both front and back of the targa seals were also damaged.

Here are some before shots.

All the interior was removed

The driver side carpet pieces both front and back were missing.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I removed the old and cracked sound deadening material and washed off the glue.

The floor came out very clean. No rust or what so ever.

I did not like the original fuzzy carpet nor he RS style but I really like the old square weave, so I sourced a synthetic version of it.

Check out this pic of the samples. One is the the synthetic the other is the wool version. I honestly don't remember which is which any more. The bottom one might be the wool?

Used the original carpet to cut out the new pieces, but I modified a couple of them. The rear ones for example extend all the way under the seats.

Here are a couple of shots showing all the pieces cut out but no edging yet.

The old plywood floor boards were removed and aluminum ones are replacing them.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Looking awesome! I have a Targa as well, and I hope to do what you are doing at some point. Anyway post more pics once you get the interior done, also are you keeping the "twist" wheels or are you going back to original Fuchs?
06 BMW 330I
Personal Qoute: "Do whatever makes you feel good"
Old 04-27-2018, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
In the meantime my upholstery was getting done. I wanted the pattern a little different and it will run through to the front door panels.

Front seats at the shop.

The rear seat pads will get in with velcro over carpet not glued down.

I brought the front seats home so the car is at least drivable.

I am also replacing the door panels with RS style but I didn't like any of the pulls available, so I came up with my own design. It's an aluminum bar bent and the center will be wrapped in leather (that's not done yet)

I replaced my stock steering wheel with a momo prototipo with aluminum spokes... the and I also added an aluminum top to the shift knob.

This is sort of where I am at right now. The interior is getting finished this weekend.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I sort of like the turbo twist, I think they go well with the body style of the car, but I already have a set of "cup" wheels. They will replace these.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The carpet is getting glued in under the rear seats... still needs to be cleaned you can see the chalk line.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Well done!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMike View Post
Well done!
The car at the upholstery shop. Nice view of the new duck tail.

The rear reflector is taken off because it's too tight with the FG lid. It'll get replaced with something more functional.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
The title to your thread threw me about ‘restoration’ which is defined as the process of repairing or renovating a building, work of art, vehicle, etc., so as to restore it to its original condition. You sir are doing a great job of ‘modification’. Keep up the good work. I am sure others will copy your ideas.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 04-28-2018, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
The title to your thread threw me about ‘restoration’ which is defined as the process of repairing or renovating a building, work of art, vehicle, etc., so as to restore it to its original condition. You sir are doing a great job of ‘modification’. Keep up the good work. I am sure others will copy your ideas.
Thanks for your correction. The customization is only on the exterior and interior. The engine, suspension, braking system is all stock and have been rebuilt/replaced or "restored". It'd be difficult to capture both concepts in a short title simultaneously. Don't you agree?

I have 2 more long threads showing all that work. Please take a look if you're interested only in restoration.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

very very nice. I own a heavily modified 1987 too but I have mainly done what thousands of others have done before. I like your one off solutions, like the unique exhaust. I remember the BBI car with two exhausts through the bumper, yours is for sure something else. This is how mine looks:

Old 04-28-2018, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Great work! Look forward to seeing the finished project
Old 04-29-2018, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Autumn in his heart

Very well executed.

I am going through your other threads as well!

Kitchen clean.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I revised the beginning of this thread so there is no confusion when it comes to semantics regarding restoration.

I would hate to have people read this thinking it's going back to all original when some things are modified.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Just received the new decals for my engine bay edge and fuel lid. Since it was all painted I opted to remove the old ones instead of trying to tape them off.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: