Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What is this front suspension noise? Knocking/clunk/clicking

Hey all, I have a noise coming from my front suspension that started after I got an alignment. All the bushings and balljoints were recently refreshed before that so those are all in good shape. I would describe it as a sort of knocking/clunking noise or maybe a creaking noise that happens mostly when braking or on certain bumps or occasionally when turning. I attached some videos where you can hear the sound since that's probably easier than trying to describe it.

Any ideas what I'm hearing here? Blown front shock? Something else loose?

Old 04-29-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
1st Check wheel bearings

2nd control arm bushings may be worn out, hitting metal to metal.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had a similar noise and it was the steering rack
Old 04-29-2018, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tyro Send a message via Skype™ to tyro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD87 View Post
Same on my car, only noticed on larger bumps or while turning over bumps. Bushing on passenger side of rack had come out of the housing due to a broken clip.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Same as mine from a few years ago, it prompted me to do a complete suspension rebuild and then it went away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmE9cnxxjoM
Old 04-30-2018, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
1st Check wheel bearings

2nd control arm bushings may be worn out, hitting metal to metal.
The control arm bushings were recently refreshed so I know those are in good shape. My experience with wheel bearing noises is that they'll be more consistent when turning for example or they'll change with the speed of the wheel, neither of which happens with this noise but I will check the bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD87 View Post
What did you do with the steering rack to fix it? Replace it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Same as mine from a few years ago, it prompted me to do a complete suspension rebuild and then it went away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmE9cnxxjoM
This looks promising. Were you ever able to pin-point exactly why there wasn't tension on one of the torsion bars? I'm not sure that's happening to me but the noise seems similar. When you say "complete suspension rebuild", what did that entail? I have new control arm and sway bar bushings, balljoints, and tie rods already. Didn't touch the shocks or torsion bars though. Could this not be fixed by re-indexing the torsion bar?

The other reason this might be a similar issue is that the car started to bottom out at the end of my driveway which wasn't happening before (also why I thought it could be bad or loose shocks).
Old 04-30-2018, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: