Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
DUMB QUESTION #5: Under hood reservoir??

Perhaps you guys can help clear this question up for me while I explore my old/new 911 SC.

In the hood space, drivers side there is this small reservoir and filling cap. Some places I have read that it is a second reservoir for some kind of concentrated window cleaning solution. In others I am told it is for brake fluid!

Given the choices I absolutely do not want to get that wrong so am hoping you guys can point me in the direction that will not cost me the most embarrassment and thousands of $$$!!

cheers
dK

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Brake fluid
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yup, definitely brake fluid
Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefaculty View Post
Given the choices I absolutely do not want to get that wrong so am hoping you guys can point me in the direction that will not cost me the most embarrassment .............
You will progress to the point of buying the Motive power bleeder some day. It's $50 and pressurizes the air on top of you brake fluid so you can crawl underneath and bust the caliper bleeders loose and bleed your brake system solo.

Instead of posting a pic of the giant pool of brake fluid on your garage floor along with the OMG what have I done freak out question, plug off that side port with a short piece of hose with a couple of hose clamps and a small bolt in the outbound side of the hose. Seal that port off.

That is an overflow vent. The Motive allows you to force fluid from the Motive container into the brake reservoir. It will vent onto floor if not sealed off.

Thank me later.

Ask me how I know.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

recommending a bleeder to somebody who cannot identify a brake fluid reservoir is probably ill advice. Not that he has to identify it...
Old 05-16-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Give the guy a break, he’s enthusiastically investigating his new-to-him Porsche. He could more easily jump in and drive and let someone else take care of the details, but he obviously wants to do the work himself.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Get the Bentley manual, Wayne's 101 book, a couple cold beers and spend some quality time with above items in a comfortable chair. I was in your shoes once, and good old fashioned book learning will answer 80% of your questions long before a forum response.

Your owner's manual also has a surprising amount of basic info inside.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Give the guy a break, hes enthusiastically investigating his new-to-him Porsche. He could more easily jump in and drive and let someone else take care of the details, but he obviously wants to do the work himself.
Agreed. Remember when it was new and exciting?
Old 05-16-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorstP View Post
recommending a bleeder to somebody who cannot identify a brake fluid reservoir is probably ill advice. Not that he has to identify it...
I don't think thefaculty indicates he is Jewish.

What is your major malfunction? Describe it or STFU.

I have seen many punk ass chumps on this forum before. You gonna respond or are you gonna use your head and go away?

Make your decision.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 05-16-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Old 05-16-2018, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It's not completely clear that our German friend in Munich, Horst P, necessarily means ill-will to the OP, thefaculty. Horst could be meaning that brakes are not always the best place to first practice one's do-it-yourself skills for the obvious reason that the inability to stop is unforgiving. I once had a girlfriend who decided she was going to do her own car repairs. The first thing she did was to add brake fluid to the windshield washer. When she turned on the washer while driving down the freeway, it stripped the bright yellow paint right off the roof and back of her Datsun 240Z. It's funny now, but it wasn't then, but at least she could still stop her paint-deprived car.

This is not to say anything against the great Bob Kontak! He's one of my favorite posters, and I'm constantly amazed how much he's involved in everything Porsche. Where does one find the time?
1979 911 SC Slate Grey (sold, but it irrevocably launched me down the path)

Last edited by gr jetson; 05-16-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Do not trust the above responses. That is the blinker fluid reservoir.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr jetson View Post
It's not completely clear that our German friend in Munich, Horst P, necessarily means ill-will to the OP, thefaculty.
This old man stands on what he said. Not so much the Jewish thing but mine was a killer stab in the throat attempt. Horst was probably the guy that said Shhhhh, Shhhhh, in Saving Private Ryan. Perhaps wrong?

He must be old as eff by now.

Don't punk a newb. Never, ever.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Yes for brake fluid. Hey no Dumb questions your new and ask away. Lots of good and knowledgeable people here. .
Old 05-16-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Brake fluid. Not just brake fluid but dot 4 brake fluid. Not dot 5. I thought bigger number = newer = better. It didn't work out that way.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Not sure what's going on here, but to the OP:

Yes, that's your brake fluid reservoir.

The big black cylinder behind it is the brake booster. It's hooked up to engine vacuum on one side, and when you push the brakes it helps you push the brakes - aka vacuum assisted or more commonly called power brakes.

Behind that (hidden by the corrugated fresh air hose) sits the master cylinder. There's a plunger and a distribution block and the brake fluid is distributed to all four brake lines from here, which are routed to each caliper.

I *think* the silver block on the front is where the mechanical linkage to the brake pedal attaches, but I've never had that apart myself so I could be wrong.

Anyways, as your brake pads wear, the pistons in the calipers have to go further out to clamp the brake discs. This takes more fluid in the system than full thickness pads, hence the need for a reservoir with a small amount of extra fluid. Brake fluid doesn't (or at least shouldn't) "go away" so you should never top off the reservoir with old pads, or you'll leak extra fluid out of the top when you compress the calipers to install new pads. Brake fluid is nasty stuff that can strip paint.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

...Strip paint and catch fire.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
yuup, washer fluid
Old 05-16-2018, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Brake fluid for sure.

The intensive washer system is the one to which you refer, designed for the special fluid to clean off stubborn road grime. It also wasn't available until sometime in the 3.2 Carrera era, I believe, in post 1984. It looks like this with the big red cap.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
yuup, washer fluid
Did you miss your flogging today?
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 05-17-2018, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks so much everyone (well almost everyone!). As many of you have been awesome enough to point out, we all have a day one and this is mine. So to those kind enough to invest their own time in help guys like me out and simple thank you doesn't feel enough. I may be very slowly learning about this new adventure but, in turn, I am rapidly learning that the Pelican community seems to be truly unique in it's comradarery and willingness to help others. I'm gonna learn a lot from you guys and, some day, maybe I can pass it on to someone in a similar position as I find myself in today.

So, to those of you how have helped out, thank you again.

I'm off to top up the washer fluid! I'll let you know how it goes! lol
Old 05-17-2018, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: