Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Suspension Question

I have a 70 911E. I did a RSR tribute with it. All the suspension has been updated and upgraded. The rear torsion bars are 27mm and the roll bar is 22mm. It has monoballs and Elephant Racing bushings. The only rubber in the rear is roll bar bushings. There is no sound deadening of any kind. When I hit an abrupt bump (manhole cover, raised seam in the road or that type bump) it feels like it's bottoming out. I can't find any sign of that anywhere. The motor mounts are new but original equipment. The car is 2 inches lower than factory. My question is whether or not this would be the nature of this set-up. Thanks for any help, Bill
Old 05-16-2018, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What suspension? sounds like a go-kart
Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It drives like a go-kart. Itís a real workout
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The 27mm torsion bar & 22mm ARB is a very responsive spring rate.
With those bushings it can amplify certain situations like you mention.
Eyes wide open, two handed driving with a stiff 911

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
What rear shocks are you running? Porsche increased the length of the rear shocks in around '72. IOW the rear shocks on your car need to be the older shorter version.

You should be able to measure how much travel you have in the rear. Remove the lower shock mount and compress the shock. Mark on the shock body where the cover ends up. Once back on the car you can see how much travel you have.

On lowered cars you should either cut the bump stop or replace it with a racing version.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-17-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys. I am going to check the shocks. I have aluminum banana arms and had to modify the shock mount areas so shocks could be an issue
Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: