Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Crankcase crack

I`ve jacked the car for some inspection (lots of oil leaks from different places) cleaned a bit engine and found this:

how bad it is and is it fixable?
not to mention this "sealing"...
Thanx in advance
Old 05-16-2018, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The photo
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
What year is your car? Mag or Aluminum case?
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-16-2018, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
What year is your car? Mag or Aluminum case?
1982 us market SC
Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

It's not uncommon for 911s to leak where the case halves meet. Someone tried to do a booger patch job to stop this one. First step is to clean that stuff off, and all the oil around it. Then let the car sit a day or so, and see if you can find where the leak originates. It might take longer than a day for the leak to be visible. If you still don't see it, start the car and let it run a bit. Don't drive it though. As soon as you do that, the oil will just go all over the place and you won't be able to tell where it's coming from.

Scott
Old 05-17-2018, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The photo of the crack did not download. As far as the above photo looks like a 3 year old tried to

seal the case with aqua fresh toothpaste. Cracks can be tig welded I would pull the motor

and go through it anyway. Looks like the former owner or whoever worked on the car wasn't very

swift.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Looks like you have leaking coming down from higher up on the engine as well. I’d also recommend removing the goop, cleaning the engine, and seeing where it’s leaking.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

motor recently rebuilt? Looks a little clean (besides the rtv and oil). When i did my rebuild by myself in a cold garage during the dead of winter....a lone gray beard hair fell off my chin and into the sealant on the two case halves just before I bolted them together. I can still see the hair sticking out if i look for it. Its a very small leak so not worth fixing. Plus, my DNA is forever with the engine now. Fitting for something that was almost religious in nature. I enjoyed rebuilding that motor so much I almost want to do it over again now.

If you clean all that off really well with about 5 cans of brake cleaner and an air compressor, then you can add a few ounces of dye to the oil and run the engine and look with a black light for the first signs of the dye to really pin point the source.
'01.5 B5 S4 the previous money pit (sold)
Old 05-17-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

also, if there is a crack in that picture, i can't see it. Can you use a program to add a red arrow pointing to it or something to make it more obvious?
'01.5 B5 S4 the previous money pit (sold)
Old 05-17-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Very often people confuse the casting marks/lines for cracks. They rarely are cracked.

#red-beard2020
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
I don't see any cracks either. I do see a leaking oil return tube.

I can't imagine that blue goop is doing much good.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
<< See my Garage
Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That is not a crack it is a mating surface from which oil may or may not be seeping. What you are going through is common for many on the BBS - the advice above is pretty much how we start figuring out where the oil is coming from in an effort to reach a leak free engine.

Clean it up as advised, then make a list of regular oil weep points (Triangle of Death; Oil Return Tubes; Valve covers, etc.) then check each one while looking for others. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

on a side note... doesn't Wayne's book recommend covering up that 'circled area' with some JB Weld???
Old 05-17-2018, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
As far as the above photo looks like a 3 year old tried to seal the case with aqua fresh toothpaste.
Bwahahhahahahhaha. Right on.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
No I don't think so. It may look like one, but I really doubt it is one. Looks like oil that was in a casting mark that has now seeped through the cheesy silver paint put on the block. The block looks painted to me...
Old 05-17-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: