Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
What the ?

Garage
Yank it...too costly to upgrade and maintain plus it cleans up the engine bay and makes it easier to get to things, the weight savings is cool but you don't really notice it.
9/11/01 FDNY/343 Never Forget!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
^^^^ What he said. Keep the parts.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
It's clear the original SC system (York compressor, non-barrier hoses, etc) is fairly worthless. It was standard equipment on SCs, though, not a dealer addition.

I have just received, and am about to install, Charlie's Keuhl system on my SC. What I hear is that it greatly improves the A/C experience, especially once the third condenser (behind driver rear wheel) is added to the mix. Wish me luck!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
I have just received, and am about to install, Charlie's Keuhl system on my SC. What I hear is that it greatly improves the A/C experience, especially once the third condenser (behind driver rear wheel) is added to the mix. Wish me luck!
Jason -

Hope you will share your install with us on a separate thread.

Good luck!

Jason
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
'79 OUTLAW

Garage
So cathartic!!

This is how far I got today (2hrs) - pulled the compressor and condenser. Lines just tied for now and I'll pull them someday. I can see my engine! So much better this way!! Next up is a heater backdate. Does this look like a full parts list for that, it's coming out to just under $600 via our host.

Left hot air duct, 930.106.321.02,
4 plastic nuts, 999.591.592.40,
2 rubber plugs, 999.703.044.50,
Right hot air duct, 911.106.327.00,
Right engine cover plate, 911.106.036.00,
Right engine cover, 911.106.827.00,
Right air duct support, 911.106.331.00,

Last edited by thefaculty; 05-24-2018 at 01:09 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Pull the hoses too, they are quite heavy. Keep us updated, I would like to backdate my heat but .... nto really sure it's worth $600, to be honest. That's a lot of coin.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefaculty View Post

You can get rid of the bracket in the lower left of the photo as well - it would otherwise hold the air pump, which you obviously don't have anymore.

Jason
Old 05-24-2018, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
This is how far I got today (2hrs) - pulled the compressor and condenser. Lines just tied for now and I'll pull them someday. I can see my engine! So much better this way!! Next up is a heater backdate. Does this look like a full parts list for that, it's coming out to just under $600 via our host.
Yeah, the hot air snake, appendage, hose is not the best by Porsche's aesthetic design department but ...

I would recommend keeping the heating components in Toronto
Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
'79 OUTLAW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
You can get rid of the bracket in the lower left of the photo as well - it would otherwise hold the air pump, which you obviously don't have anymore.

Jason
Yes - I am pulling that smog unit which is in the way of the bolt and that will all come out at the same time
Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Yeah, the hot air snake, appendage, hose is not the best by Porsche's aesthetic design department but ...

I would recommend keeping the heating components in Toronto
If you are considering the backdate heater setup there is a downside in that the heat is blown with the engine fan. Cruising no issue. Get into a peppy run and forget to turn down the heater and your shoes melt.

That electric blower fan does a pretty good job despite it's appearance with the hoses.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I removed the AC and backdated the heat in my early SC as you intend to do. As Bob mentioned, melted shoes are a real thing, but a small price to pay for a decluttered engine bay. Also, even in a cold climate (Wisconsin) the stock blower in the frunk can't push enough air in to keep the cabin cool on sunny 60 degree days. Which means you're always driving with the windows down.

I've ordered just the blower assembly from Jonny (Classic Retrofit) and it should be here any day. If it still doesn't move enough ambient cool air into the cockpit, I'll spring for the rest of the electric AC system.

Also, $600 seems excessive to get the heat backdated- I remember it being closer to $300 (I bought everything from our host). The left side tin from Pelican has been revised to clear the distributor; it used to be a headache.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I started where you are at with AC and all that heater garbage. Pulled the AC and backdated the heat and this is how yours will look.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
All this talk of AC/heat deleting is very interesting. I removed my old AC compressor today and would love to leave it out, but living in Florida I have a feeling I will need to install a new AC system with upgraded components/hoses etc.

What's the current thinking on the best AC system? I know there are tons of threads out there but products and opinions seem to change regularly. Classic Retrofit looks awesome, but my local mechanic told me electric AC will never be good enough. I know other options are Griffiths & RennAire.

Seems like Classic Retrofit would satisfy some folks in this thread due to the reduced weight and lack of an engine compartment compressor. Perhaps a happy medium?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
All this talk of AC/heat deleting is very interesting. I removed my old AC compressor today and would love to leave it out, but living in Florida I have a feeling I will need to install a new AC system with upgraded components/hoses etc.

What's the current thinking on the best AC system? I know there are tons of threads out there but products and opinions seem to change regularly. Classic Retrofit looks awesome, but my local mechanic told me electric AC will never be good enough. I know other options are Griffiths & RennAire.

Seems like Classic Retrofit would satisfy some folks in this thread due to the reduced weight and lack of an engine compartment compressor. Perhaps a happy medium?
Griffiths. The end.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
I realize the OP has made his decision, but I want to add the following perspective:

I live in Connecticut where it gets into the 90's/muggy for maybe three months of the year. My 82 black SC coupe has a/c upgraded by the original owner with quality stuff from Griffiths and it works well...hasn't needed a recharge in the 4 years I've had the car. If the car didn't have the a/c system I'd enjoy it a whole lot less and not drive it as often.

Point being, an air-cooled 911 CAN have an effective a/c system, and as others have pointed out, we have some guys on PP who really know their stuff in guiding you on how to get your system delivering chilly, dry air. A good example is what Queenie did with her 3.2 Carrera; yes, she lives in New Orleans and the OP is in Canada, but a/c of course is also good in moderate climates when you drive in the rain, i.e., defog (said Cptn. Obvious).

And as Bob K. noted, Griffiths is the only way to fly.
Best to all, John/CT
Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
'79 OUTLAW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
I realize the OP has made his decision, but I want to add the following perspective:

I live in Connecticut where it gets into the 90's/muggy for maybe three months of the year. My 82 black SC coupe has a/c upgraded by the original owner with quality stuff from Griffiths and it works well...hasn't needed a recharge in the 4 years I've had the car. If the car didn't have the a/c system I'd enjoy it a whole lot less and not drive it as often.

Point being, an air-cooled 911 CAN have an effective a/c system, and as others have pointed out, we have some guys on PP who really know their stuff in guiding you on how to get your system delivering chilly, dry air. A good example is what Queenie did with her 3.2 Carrera; yes, she lives in New Orleans and the OP is in Canada, but a/c of course is also good in moderate climates when you drive in the rain, i.e., defog (said Cptn. Obvious).

And as Bob K. noted, Griffiths is the only way to fly.
Best to all, John/CT
These are all fair points. Thanks John. So I have pulled the compressor and rear condenser. Lets say in the future I wanted to consider the Griffiths system should I keep the existing hoses in place or would I essentially need to replace everything anyway and therefore would it make sense to pull it all and simply start fresh? It''s my first 911 and my first summer with the car so this is all very new to me. Really appreciate all the opinions from everyone.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
'79 OUTLAW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoooo32 View Post
Also, $600 seems excessive to get the heat backdated- I remember it being closer to $300 (I bought everything from our host). The left side tin from Pelican has been revised to clear the distributor; it used to be a headache.
I agree - perhaps my parts list for this project is wrong. This is what I have been told I would need but it does feel expensive. Can you let me know if this looks correct?

Left hot air duct, 930.106.321.02,
4 plastic nuts, 999.591.592.40,
2 rubber plugs, 999.703.044.50,
Right hot air duct, 911.106.327.00,
Right engine cover plate, 911.106.036.00,
Right engine cover, 911.106.827.00,
Right air duct support, 911.106.331.00,
Old 05-25-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes - I am pulling that smog unit which is in the way of the bolt and that will all come out at the same time
Keep in mind that if you pull the smog pump bracket, you will be left with a couple of studs that are too long. You will need to also pull the studs and install shorter, or add a tubular spacer. The studs are not fully threaded, so you won't be able to snug down the nut without a spacer.

Mark
Old 05-25-2018, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Marginally relevant to a thread on deleting the AC system. I am back dating a 1983 SC coupe. It has 930 flares front and rear, 964 electric rear spoiler and we are building the engine to a 3.8L with 964 crank and cams. The chassis is about ready for paint. I am going to install a complete 993 AC system in the car to replace the original SC system. Has anyone had any experience fitting the 964 dash end vents in a pre 1989 car? Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner4fun View Post
Marginally relevant to a thread on deleting the AC system. I am back dating a 1983 SC coupe. It has 930 flares front and rear, 964 electric rear spoiler and we are building the engine to a 3.8L with 964 crank and cams. The chassis is about ready for paint. I am going to install a complete 993 AC system in the car to replace the original SC system. Has anyone had any experience fitting the 964 dash end vents in a pre 1989 car? Thanks
Pre '86*
Old 06-16-2018, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: