Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

Gear oil change is always a pain in the neck

I get through it, every time. But I also always walk away thinking there's got to be a better way than a hand pump on the Swepco jug -- or a crappy drill pump -- or definitely something better than the aging PVC tubing that kinks and pops off when it's under pressure.

I was thinking of putting together a 5-gallon bucket, a 110v pump and a 48" feed line. But I don't even see (affordable) pumps out there. Battery- or 12v-powered options seem lame, since I'm not doing this change outside of my shop. It would be great to just put in 3 quarts and not have to watch for the over-spill, too.

Does anyone have a smart way to do this that doesn't mean frequent small spills and a bucket full of stinky shop rags?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
I get through it, every time. But I also always walk away thinking there's got to be a better way than a hand pump on the Swepco jug -- or a crappy drill pump -- or definitely something better than the aging PVC tubing that kinks and pops off when it's under pressure.

I was thinking of putting together a 5-gallon bucket, a 110v pump and a 48" feed line. But I don't even see (affordable) pumps out there. Battery- or 12v-powered options seem lame, since I'm not doing this change outside of my shop. It would be great to just put in 3 quarts and not have to watch for the over-spill, too.

Does anyone have a smart way to do this that doesn't mean frequent small spills and a bucket full of stinky shop rags?
I use this pump from Harbor Freight. It pumps quite a bit with each stroke and is a pretty quick process. About $8 or so at HF.

'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jack,

Kent Bergsma, whom you might have run across, is a retired pilot and aviation mechanic who is the Internet's go-to guy for working on old Mercedes. In the below video he describes using a pressure pump to fill-- he sells them on his website, and you can see they are basically a Home Depot weed sprayer modified with a ball valve and a pressure gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLzPvcIApjc

One warning: watching Kent's videos will make you want to buy an old Benz to tinker with.

Good luck!
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Jack..how about use a hose(and funnel) which has snug fit to the side filling hole and use the gravity to fill it up?of course remove the wheel...
That is what i do ..it takes time but time we have or? It works well you just have to use the correct amount ...plus patience.....

Ivan
Old 05-24-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
I use this pump from Harbor Freight. It pumps quite a bit with each stroke and is a pretty quick process. About $8 or so at HF.

I had better luck with this pump, as noted it moves a good amount of fluid, over the last pump I used that was like a liquid soap dispenser pump that screws on to the trans fluid bottle. But I did have a problem once with the harbor freight pump blowing the hose off which make for a big stinky mess.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Try this tool from AST with their universal adaptor.
http://www.catellusengineering.com

Last edited by kevingross; 05-24-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

gearhead

Heat the oil to 100 degrees F before pumping it. Not hot enough to burn you if you get any on yourself, but hot enough to make it flow better.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Easiest way is to got to Home Depot, buy yourself a $10 poison sprayer, cut off the spray nozzle tip and fill the sucker up with fluid. Pump it up and pull the trigger until you're full.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeg1998 View Post
I had better luck with this pump, as noted it moves a good amount of fluid, over the last pump I used that was like a liquid soap dispenser pump that screws on to the trans fluid bottle. But I did have a problem once with the harbor freight pump blowing the hose off which make for a big stinky mess.
I agree with this about the Harbor Freight pump blowing off the hose. I attempted to use one to transfer gasoline out of an old car into a can. Wasn't long before the whole thing failed, but numerous times before it finally failed it would constantly blow the hose off. It's only a slip fit of the hose into the pump. It sucked. Literally. Save your $8.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks, guys.

I've had the HF pump -- it fell apart. I have the one that screws into the top of the bottle now. The problem (through 20 years of ownership) is that none of these has good durability. Sooner or later the hose is blowing off and spraying Swepco on me.

My ideal would be something that I could trust to sit for a year with Swepco residue inside it. I'd like to not worry about failing seals or stiffening PVC tubes. If I could flip a switch for the pump, I'd prefer that to pumping. But I just don't see an inexpensive fluid pump out there that I think could be trusted year after year with something as thick as Swepco.

I like the idea of using some variation of the Hudson Sprayer -- in the same way I bleed my brakes. The one the Mercedes guy customized looks about right -- and it's a fair price, given the work he has to put into it. Then again, I've got a sprayer in the shed that I bought for some un-realized job. I could probably add a valve and customize it a little further for me. Or I could relax and just order the one that guy makes. I won't need one again for at least 12 months.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
304065: thanks for turning me back on to Kent Bergsma....I just went on a two hour detour of his videos, then website. I agree that at less than $50, his gear-oil pump is an excellent value. I too have been under my SC with massive arm fatigue from pumping away on that "soap dispenser" style (great description) STA-LUBE push pump, and losing half a quart of Kendall 80/90 when the pump cap didn't fit the bottle right. The nice old rotary-crank pumps that sat atop a 20 gallon drum of gear oil (in repair shops or the corner Shell station back in the day) are cool but take up too much floor space and few of us need that much smell gear oil in our personal inventories. Matt's pre-heating suggestion is also interesting....but what does it make one's kitchen smell like? Best regards to all, John in CT
Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I'll post a picture of the pump I use that hooks onto a pneumatic wrench when I get back into town. Works with a compressor & makes the job go quickly.
Yukon Yellow
Old 05-24-2018, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I use Swepco in my 915 and change it 2-3 times a year depending on number of events.
Used the screw in linear pumps for a while and put up with the same issues you’ve found, which makes it a messy job. Also found it was wasteful as leaves a lot in the pump and it’s a pain to store an nearly empty container with the pump in it for 3-6months and transfer fluid and pump from one to another, because if you can be bothered doing that then the benefit is after 4-5 changes there’s enough left over to do another one for “free”

My solution was to buy a 20gallon pail which is generally cheaper in the long run. It’s big enough that it stays where your put it and doesn’t want tip over and use a rotary handle pump to eliminates the slow linear pump torture and also no wastage left in the 1 gallon containers.

I guess you could also get an electric pump off a 44 gallon set up but after seeing this thread and the Mercedes guys simple pneumatic set up I’ll now look to pressurise the 20gallon and incorporate a simple on/off tap which will make it even easier....

Build Thread:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/985164-project-77-new-build.html
Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Here's a tech article from our local PCA newsletter (I'm the editor) that's a reprint from 356 magazine. Hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but we're all brothers, right?

I haven't made one of these, but after filling a few air cooled cars with tranny fluid, it's on my short list.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
This is all you need.
The cheap ones suck.
This one is great.
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MVA6851-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B00MPQ8RBG/
Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
Jack,

Kent Bergsma, whom you might have run across, is a retired pilot and aviation mechanic who is the Internet's go-to guy for working on old Mercedes. In the below video he describes using a pressure pump to fill-- he sells them on his website, and you can see they are basically a Home Depot weed sprayer modified with a ball valve and a pressure gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLzPvcIApjc

One warning: watching Kent's videos will make you want to buy an old Benz to tinker with.

Good luck!
Just killed an hour on those videos. Thanks a lot! As if I needed another old-car fetish!
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SCOTITUDE
use this in the shop, works great, very little mess. still have to deal with the overflow as full but no mess with the unit itself. The valve and the angled spigot make all the difference. Kinda pricey but they make a cheaper version.

Assenmacher Specialty Tools ATF1100-5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQ2/?tag=autgotosal-20
1980 911SC #99 track car, 993 3.6, 50 PMO's
2001 BMW 330Ci Vert DD
2016 Ford F150 Supercrew
2016 MB E350 Sport wifey DD
2014 Unmarked Explorer "company car"

Last edited by SCOTITUDE; 05-24-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Gear oil change

I am same as proporsche--Ivan,
But i Use about 8 ft of half inch cheap plastic clear hose purchased from
Our Home depot--Bunnings here in Ausy ,dont require any thing else, no messy pumps,
funnels etc. just jack up drivers side only, remove that wheel, slide hose down on
an angle over couple of suspension items brake cable etc,place end into filler hole,.
Because i use kendall small quart bottles they have a filler nozzle that fits nice and tight to the nozzle, and just pour away, only takes about half hour ,you can do this by standing at the side of your Porsche, there is no dripping oil anywhere,only under the filler hole, but place a tray there in case.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage

This will solve your problems. I just ordered it https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200622686_200622686
Old 05-25-2018, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
No pumps

I'm a fan of keeping it simple. Warm oil for speed and a tube snaked in through the wheel well. Oil goes in quick with a few squeezes/gravity with minimum mess. I don't have a lift but I usually put the car on a few wooden blocks so I can get my arm in there easier. Sometimes will jack it and put on stands reasonably level as that's pretty quick also. How often do you change, I'm every 2 or 3 years or 15-20K miles. Never looks bad coming out.
Red 08 Impreza, wifes car sold
Grey 05 CRV, now is the daughters solution
Old 05-25-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: