Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
When I lift just the rear of the car I use a garden kneel pad (you can purchase at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) between the engine and the hydraulic jack.

Juergen
'09 VW Beetle Convertible
Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Whether foam pad, block of wood, hockey puck, a thick phone book or folded Sunday newspaper, it's still ~1500 lbs of weight concentrated at the lift point. Shop mechanics don't own your car, neither did the techs at the factory. The crankcase, while strong, wasn't designed as a load bearing element. I'd prefer playing it more conservative. YMMV.

Sherwood
Old 06-07-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about letting off the gas in a turn???

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.

Last edited by tirwin; 06-07-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-07-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Sherwood...everybody does what they want ..but the case can handle much more then one lift at a time...you know that;-)
no bearings will get effective inside....one lift takes 2 minutes and after removing the jack stands another 1 minute......

Ivan

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that, genius has its limits". Albert Einstein....
Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

What would Porsche do? (WWPD?)

Old 06-07-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
not knowing ..what is wwpd.....?

Ivan

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that, genius has its limits". Albert Einstein....
Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
not knowing ..what is wwpd.....?

Ivan
WWPD = What Would Porsche Do

Pictured is Dr Porsche himself and his son Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBennet View Post
To piggy back on this one: Channel P101tv | How to Jack Up Your Porsche 911

Check this article out, it does states the case is fine to lift from. Plus the pic with Ferry and Ferdinand Porsche doing it, shouldn't need explanation...
06 BMW 330I
Personal Qoute: "Do whatever makes you feel good"
Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I know the picture.. it is also in the house where he was born in Bohemia...just did not know what short cut was......
thanx

ipsa..yes that is what my mentor who worked in the 1950-60 in factory told me so i have been doing it ever since;-)

Last edited by proporsche; 06-07-2018 at 11:03 AM..
Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsalsaman View Post
To piggy back on this one: Channel P101tv | How to Jack Up Your Porsche 911

Check this article out, it does states the case is fine to lift from. Plus the pic with Ferry and Ferdinand Porsche doing it, shouldn't need explanation...
Those early Dilavar head studs were wonderful too, as were 901 and 915 gearbox synchros. PAG was often brilliant; sometimes not so much.

Who are these guys? Not the Porsche’s in the photo, the website that compiled the data they’re presenting? Just wondering. Their info source?

I offered this challenge here years ago and no one has yet taken it. Take a crank case,
short block or equivalent and place it under a hydraulic press. Then target the hydraulic ram over the suggested area and apply 1500 lbs of force onto it. Set up dial indicators and/or strain gauges at various locations.

That would be interesting. Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Holy, that's fantastic!! I'm gonna go out to the garage right now, jack up my car and crawl underneath it to do some work with no jack stands...

I have no opinion on how you jack up your car. The many jacking points are widely publicized. Use your own discretion.

I'm not supposed to say retarded or stupid any more so won't expand further on people's justification of their actions using phrases that include 'Porsche did this' and 'The factory did that', blah, blah, blah...

We (hopefully) learn from our experiences. Things change over fifty years. Porsche made loads of mistakes and did some rather stu... silly things.

Now please excuse me while I go lick some lead based paint, sweep up the asbestos impregnated concrete dust in the garage and install my new headlight relay...

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 06-07-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Old 06-07-2018, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
I offered this challenge here years ago and no one has yet taken it. Take a crank case,
short block or equivalent and place it under a hydraulic press. Then target the hydraulic ram over the suggested area and apply 1500 lbs of force onto it. Set up dial indicators and/or strain gauges at various locations.

That would be interesting. Thanks
I’m curious too.

I think I could do this under more real world conditions i.e. in the car with a jack under it. What sort of deflection would you imagine might be acceptable?

I have a 3.2 and multiple dial indicators but a laser pointer fixed to rear of the motor might be easier. Maybe magnetically mounted to muffler aimed at targets mounted below the sump and flywheel. Heck, I could test the deflection of the trans+motor combo as well.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I've lifted my cars under the engine case but never felt comfortable doing it even though it's supposed to be OK. I put two jacks under the swing arms where the shock bolt bosses are and jack them at the same time. When I get up to the right height, I put the stands under the car. Just feel better doing it that way & takes about the same amount of time.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Sherwood..if you do not know who is on the picture i can tell you.
On the left is Erwin Komenda exceptional designer who did design VW bug and Porsche 356..also had a big share designing 901 but had a fit with Porsche so he is nowhere mentioned...even-thou he worked with Porsche for 30 years
On the right is Ferdidnand Alexandr Porsche..Butzi

Ivan

Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I've never done it. I don't like the idea of the heavy end of the car being lifted with all that weight on a small amount of aluminium.

OK for Mr Porsche, sure, but for me I'll use my scissor lift.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
My absolute favorite for 911 was side sliding fork lift i had in LA for many years.
something like this,it was perfect for all the works..engine or front suspension...

Last edited by proporsche; 06-08-2018 at 12:22 AM..
Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Look, the fact that you can lift the car from the engine case has nothing to do with a person wanting to be more safe. It is your own choice to chose the way you want to do it. I personally wouldn't lift the car that high like in the picture. That would be crazy!

Common sense should tell you to do it in a safe manner to prevent an accident that will injure you or kill you. The fact that it can be done, does not mean you have to do it that way. It's your choice as it is your car.
06 BMW 330I
Personal Qoute: "Do whatever makes you feel good"
Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
My original question's intent was to get some opinions on whether or not lifting from the engine would be ok "when wanting to simply move the rear end over a little bit in the garage" due to space restraints.

I own and use the lifting pad that mounts in the side of the frame when I work on the car and I ALWAYS use jack stands when working underneath a lifted car.

Regarding my original question, briefly lifting something can cause enough stress and deflection to damage parts of an assembly if the load carrying capacity is exceeded. It wouldn't matter much if it were lifted for 20 seconds vs one hour.

Thanks to all for the comments. As usual, the answers are not definitive enough to come to a hard conclusion, but are very informative.
1985 911 Carrera Targa, 1951 Harley Davidson Panhead Chopper, 1957 Harley Davidson Panhead- stock, 1972 Yamaha 250 DT-1, 1959 Austin Healey (Bug Eye) Sprite- sold, 1959 Austin Healey (Bug Eye) Sprite- sold, 1960 Austin Healey (Bug Eye) Sprite- sold
Old 06-08-2018, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85911 View Post
My original question's intent was to get some opinions on whether or not lifting from the engine would be ok "when wanting to simply move the rear end over a little bit in the garage" due to space restraints.
I can't think of any jack that moves freely, given the steel wheels/roller. Consequently, no way I would attempt to use it to re-position the rear. I'd be afraid of it shifting in relation to its position under the engine.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85911 View Post
I would not do that, sounds dangerous. Try these, much safer.
https://www.carguygarage.com/car-dolly.html
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 06-08-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: