Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Shifter knob removal

I am doing sound deadening on my car, as I donít plan to our carpet just mats, and found really hard to remove the shifter knob so I can install the new shifter rubber boot.

I hammered pulled pushed damaged the knoe at the bottom but no go.

How can I remove this knob?
Are there any other alternatives to factory rubbber boot?
I donít mind this shifter exposed but with the boot looks better.

Before:

After:

Old 06-06-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You take an appropriate sized wrench and put it under the lip on the knob. Then use a rubber or plastic hammer to gently but firmly strike the wrench handle under the knob and it will pop off. If you twist and pull hard enough it will probably come off too. Mine was stuck pretty good. There's a metal friction "ring" I'll call it holding the knob to the shaft.

Last edited by gazzerr; 06-06-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Old 06-06-2018, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

mats look good :-)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7783911 View Post
mats look good :-)
They do, thank you.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Exactly what gazzerr said. Have a new crush ring ready. I tried to reuse the old one and one day the knob came off in my hand when I shifted into second. Got a new crush ring, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzerr View Post
You take an appropriate sized wrench and put it under the lip on the knob. Then use a rubber or plastic hammer to gently but firmly strike the wrench handle under the knob and it will pop off. If you twist and pull hard enough it will probably come off too. Mine was stuck pretty good. There's a metal friction "ring" I'll call it holding the knob to the shaft.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzerr View Post
I had the shifter out on a bench and hit the wrench multiple times with no luck, this is the knob facing downward.
MIT damaged the knob at the bottom and any more force would probably shatter the plastic.

To me feels like the crush ring is rusted inside.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Some of them just won't come off. Destruction by channel-locks is the only alternative if it really needs to be removed.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Functionista

Take the shift shaft out and slide boot up from bottom. This type of knob can be a pain to remove without destroying it.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Did what you are trying to do last week. Also had the hole shifter out and in the vices upside down. I put a pice of tape on so i could see if it startet to move. Added a 15mm wrench over and hitted i several times with a heavy hammer, and i got it lose. It is not easy to hit it straight but make sure i is stable when you hit it and it not turns.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i've read that applying some heat can help too (but not enough to melt the plastic knob) -- You will destroy the shift knob once done
Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What manbridge 74 suggested.

Remove the entire shift housing assembly; remove the pivot pin and slide the shift lever from the top. Then slide the shift boot onto the lever from the bottom. You still have to maneuver the boot over the lower lever bits. In this way, you won't damage your shift knob. To reinstall the factory pivot pin, use a longish drift punch to align the pivot pin holes in the shift box and lever. Clean the areas and sparingly apply waterproof bearing lube to friction areas.

If it's too late to save the knob, just remove the remnants and order a new knob (factory or aftermarket). The existing crush sleeve may still be serviceable and maybe not create such a permanent bond.

Sherwood
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
i`m with manbridge74 idea ...kava do not damage the knob any more, they are pretty penny now...

Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 06-07-2018 at 02:56 PM..
Old 06-07-2018, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I had to destroy mine to get it off. The replacements are not the same (they have a shiny printed top under plastic as opposed to the shift pattern imprinted in the knob like yours.)

Fortunately I found a NOS one from someone on here.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
The replacements are not the same (they have a shiny printed top under plastic as opposed to the shift pattern imprinted in the knob like yours.)

Not true.

https://tinyurl.com/ybnbuw35

Old 06-07-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Early shift knobs are smooth, shiny black plastic, and expensive. Careful taking it off.

part number: 90142401400

Sherwood
Old 06-07-2018, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
Early shift knobs are smooth, shiny black plastic, and expensive. Careful taking it off.

part number: 90142401400

Sherwood
Sherwood -- believe that's the knob for a dogleg pattern 901 box -- OP has a later 915 box
Old 06-07-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
I accidentally chipped the base of the knob trying to tap it out. More like a chunk actually. At least it let the crush ring go at that point but ended up ordering a new one. Regardless, one thing to consider is that a PO may have used epoxy instead of or in addition to the crush ring. Thatís a whole other kettle of fish. If you see glue between the knob base and the shift shaft this may be the case.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Sugarwood, I ordered that part, from Suncoast, and I got the shiny/clear plastic top one. This was a few years ago. Put that same part# into our host's search box, and you'll see the one you get when you order it. I thought I was getting the one in your picture, but I didn't.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
Sugarwood, I ordered that part, from Suncoast, and I got the shiny/clear plastic top one. This was a few years ago. Put that same part# into our host's search box, and you'll see the one you get when you order it. I thought I was getting the one in your picture, but I didn't.
I got mine at the dealer. Like in the photo
Old 06-13-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I got mine at the dealer. Like in the photo
That's good info for folks here to have. Pelican / Suncoast ship you a different part than what's shown. Go to the dealer if you want the one sugarwood posted!
Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: