Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Targa top problems

For what ever reason there have been a rash of problems related top fitment at the windshield area this spring. All have been related to the too large over the windshield seal which have been installed on the 1970 -89 Targas. Local shops and owners alike think they are doing good in fixing up and improving the car, when actually they are doing harm. Seals being sold are 964 seals which are too big. Also, people think their top is bad when actually it is a seal problem. Contact me directly for I have a proper solution for you.
Vintage parts
609 298 2277
carsinc@comcast.net
Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hi Dan - it would be helpful if you posted your findings and solutions in regards to the Targa top issue here for everyone in the forum to have access to.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Targa Top seal problems

Here is how I resolved the situation.

As part of my parts business I was buying inventory of Porsche Dealers when they were exchanging hands. In doing so, the Atlantic City dealership buy out included two pre superseded seals. I could tell for they were packaged with the red tag part number. Later seals had blue tags. Now I had a correct example and this could be plainly seen when put two side by side.

I pleaded my case with Porsche about the seal situation but go nowhere fast as we used to say. This is with backing of the local Dealership. Only option left was to get the proper seal made. It took me over 5 years to get a duplicate made that could be affordably priced. I now sell the seal for $192 shipped, and it works perfect.
Vintage parts
609 298 2277
carsinc@comcast.net
Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
have you submitted an RFP to Pelican for them to sell your seal? just a thought. I think that Wayne wouldn't mind selling a superior product and i'm sure he could move some inventory for you so you can buy the seals in a higher qty to further improve the pricing. However, that price isn't really bad as it is.
'13 Volvo XC60 (hers)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Hi Dan - it would be helpful if you posted your findings and solutions in regards to the Targa top issue here for everyone in the forum to have access to.
This is a fair question. More info here is a good thing for new members.

For the old timer Targa guys that have had their top redone by Dan or ten plus years ago called him to get instructions on how to carve up the 964 seals to "replicate" the legacy ones, it does not need explained. However, new members don't always search that deeply and it's a shame if they buy the 964 seals.

BTW, the instructions are probably still available but it's not easy and you won't really replicate as a noob "carver".

My thoughts on Targa top repair from experience is more Dan, less me.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 06-11-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Old 06-11-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsinc View Post
Here is how I resolved the situation.

As part of my parts business I was buying inventory of Porsche Dealers when they were exchanging hands. In doing so, the Atlantic City dealership buy out included two pre superseded seals. I could tell for they were packaged with the red tag part number. Later seals had blue tags. Now I had a correct example and this could be plainly seen when put two side by side.

I pleaded my case with Porsche about the seal situation but go nowhere fast as we used to say. This is with backing of the local Dealership. Only option left was to get the proper seal made. It took me over 5 years to get a duplicate made that could be affordably priced. I now sell the seal for $192 shipped, and it works perfect.
Sent you a PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've seen posts about this seal issue for some time. For what its worth I replaced the front seal on our '88 targa last fall. Ordered online through a dealer. Was somewhat alarmed when the seal came with the superseded "bad" part number. Installation at first seemed impossible. I wound up completely cleaning the original channel down to clean shiny paint, without a trace of old weatherstrip or adhesive. That included removal of the thin filler strip/bulb glued to the front of the channel. Then I carefully reglued the thin filler strip/bulb in its correct spot. Then I began working the new seal into the gap. It was not easy. But it went. Took it slow, over a few evenings of working a few inches at a time. The seal appears and seals properly, and the top fits nicely now, exactly as original. The key I think was getting the channel perfectly clean. And also the little filler strip, which after removing the original seal was wadded up in places and covered with adhesive. The new seal was not too tall, or too thick, it just seemed that way at first. My experience anyway.
DG
Old 06-11-2018, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
on my 75 i bought one from pelican, no matter what i did, cutting massaging the roof was too high. Bought danís, slipped it in viola no problem.
On my 72 it came with a new seal so i tried it with poor results, bought dans and again no problems
Old 06-12-2018, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

After trying to cut down 2 factory seals, I bought one of Dan's seals. He had done my top but did not have his seal available until later. I tried to follow his instructions on cutting down the factory seal. I could never get the corners cut down correctly on the factory seal and my top would not sit properly.
His seal went in like butter. I agree that Pelican could move quite a few seals for Dan.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Just for some balance:
I replaced the front seal on my 74 targa with Dans seal. The wind noise was so bad I had to put tape along the header and the Targa top just to be able to drive it. The top had been totally refurbished by a guy that did the first Targa top in Ca. Has the jig and 50 years of experience. The old seal leaked around the top door section. Followed dans instructions to a t.
Contacted dan and got very little help. “Can’t be the seal” was the response. Gave up on any assistance. Got a seal from Parts Heaven in Hayward Ca. They carry 3 seals. One for very early Targa’s, the mid year, that dan says he’s the only source, and a later seal. Their seal cut the wind noise in half and fit down the doors much better. I’ve been reluctant to post anything disparaging about the self proclaimed targa top expert, but there’s always the exception to your experiences.
Thought there should be some balance to the Love Fest. Best advise is to never replace that front seal unless absolutely necessary.
2013 Cayenne GTS Meteor Grey
2003 Boxster S
Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Tony -- thx for your insight -- I was finally able to fix a wind noise/leak situation on my targa when I discovered how adjustable the front (fixed glass) door window frame is. Loosening a hidden bolt inside the door assembly, I was able to slightly raise my window frame and have it snug tightly up against the top -- sounds like your's might be a smidge higher than it should be - lowering it a touch could help further alleviate your wind noise. Several folks have posted links to a porsche targa adjustment publication or 2 -- PM me if you can't find
Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Tony -- thx for your insight -- I was finally able to fix a wind noise/leak situation on my targa when I discovered how adjustable the front (fixed glass) door window frame is. Loosening a hidden bolt inside the door assembly, I was able to slightly raise my window frame and have it snug tightly up against the top -- sounds like your's might be a smidge higher than it should be - lowering it a touch could help further alleviate your wind noise. Several folks have posted links to a porsche targa adjustment publication or 2 -- PM me if you can't find
i had the same experience. My wind noise reduction was far less about the seal and more about the adjustment of that front quarter window.

Of course for the quietest roof experience of all , I just leave it out
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: