Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exhaust R&R

Many share trials and tribulations with frozen and broken exhaust studs. Anyone besides me get the urge to make sure the fasteners donít get frozen and broken when you want to remove it for whatever reason. The Allen fasteners come out pretty easy with the engine in car, the 13mm nuts are a different story. They are tricky to get a nice grip. Suggestions, besides leaving well enough alone??
2016 BMW 328i
Old 06-10-2018, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not sure how you would make sure they don't get frozen without taking them off in the first place. Use some copper antiseize when the nuts are off and it will be easier the next time. If you don't need to have the heat exchangers off I'd leave them alone until that time

You need a "wobble" socket to get the 13mm hex nuts.

Like this.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
anti-seize!
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 06-10-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thatís what I want to do is make sure there is good anti-seize on the studs. Figure if I bust them loose every now and again Iíll avoid the headache in the future. OCD yes, but is satisfying to be able to crack them without shearing off the stud. Thanks for the wobble socket tip. I donít have those in my tool box.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Try nickle anti-seize, it has higher temp rating
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-10-2018, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Try nickle anti-seize, it has higher temp rating
We used this on military jet engines. The area got to around 3-3.5k degrees F.

If itíll hold up there, itíll easily hold up on our motors.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Surely the extra 600F of the nickle based anti-seize above the 1800F (!) temperature rating of the Cu based product is overkill in this application, ignoring the other differences for the sake of the argument.

But hey, I totally understand the urge to splurge on our beloved engines when it's only a few bucks extra.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
Thatís what I want to do is make sure there is good anti-seize on the studs. Figure if I bust them loose every now and again Iíll avoid the headache in the future. OCD yes, but is satisfying to be able to crack them without shearing off the stud. Thanks for the wobble socket tip. I donít have those in my tool box.
I just took the last of mine off today. 12 for 12 no broken studs. I got to all 6 hex nuts with the 13mm socket I attached a picture of a 10" extension and small breaker bar. For the barrel nuts I cut off a long 8mm Allen key and used it with a 8mm socket through the access holes in the exchangers. I think if you get them off once and load them up with anti-seize you'll be good forever.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueWhy View Post
I just took the last of mine off today. 12 for 12 no broken studs. I got to all 6 hex nuts with the 13mm socket I attached a picture of a 10" extension and small breaker bar. For the barrel nuts I cut off a long 8mm Allen key and used it with a 8mm socket through the access holes in the exchangers. I think if you get them off once and load them up with anti-seize you'll be good forever.
I used a standard L Allen wrench with a cheater bar, nice and easy cracked all 6. Would like to see your pic with the 13mm socket. Was your engine in car? The left side with cat and guard installed is tight.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
OCD, yes. I check and loosen mine every oil change. I even apply more anti-seize thread lub. High temp copper formula, good to 2000F.
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 06-11-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack1 View Post
OCD, yes. I check and loosen mine every oil change. I even apply more anti-seize thread lub. High temp copper formula, good to 2000F.
Oh THANK YOU good to know Iím not alone! Whatís your favorite fastener attack scheme?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage

I use an off set wrench Works very well..
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 06-11-2018, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

13mm offset wrench did the trick. 5 out of 6 came off stud and was able to reinstall with copper anti-seize. One nut and stud came out as one piece. Now soaking in penetrant. Thanks all!! Like idea of doing this when changing oil.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I used a standard L Allen wrench with a cheater bar, nice and easy cracked all 6. Would like to see your pic with the 13mm socket. Was your engine in car? The left side with cat and guard installed is tight.
the advantage of the cut off 8mm in the 8mm socket is that you can put a torque wrench on when putting it all back.
2014 Nissan Murano (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
13mm offset wrench did the trick. 5 out of 6 came off stud and was able to reinstall with copper anti-seize. One nut and stud came out as one piece. Now soaking in penetrant. Thanks all!! Like idea of doing this when changing oil.
why on earth would you put this back ? that is the perfect situation . Put in a new shiny stud and nut !!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post
why on earth would you put this back ? that is the perfect situation . Put in a new shiny stud and nut !!
Word!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Surely the extra 600F of the nickle based anti-seize above the 1800F (!) temperature rating of the Cu based product is overkill in this application, ignoring the other differences for the sake of the argument.

But hey, I totally understand the urge to splurge on our beloved engines when it's only a few bucks extra.
IMO there is no such thing as overkill when dealing with studs into the head. Do absolutely everything you can to ensure they wont break on removal.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I just finished my exhaust project so I know exactly where you guys are coming from .
Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Good work!!! It's quite a relief to get them all off. It may be easier/safer to just cut off the stubborn nut now that the stud is out of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post
I just finished my exhaust project so I know exactly where you guys are coming from .
Looks great. I can't wait to get my SSIs and M&K installed. I'm going to have to delay my gratification, I've got some partially crushed oil lines that need attention, a dirty engine and a valve that needs adjusting. At least the old exhaust is off with all 12 studs intact.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Found these today at Euclid Foreign while trying to find an exhaust stud. About the same height as the Allen nuts, more to grab onto in the future. Generous amount of copper anti-seize.
2016 BMW 328i
Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: