Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2 Carrera Stock Suspension Refresh

There are some fantastic threads with different Pelicans upgrading their stock suspensions. Some of the most technical and daunting upgrades you see on the board after engine rebuilds and upgrades!

Anyone just work on keeping their front and rear suspensions bone stock...but tuning them up after 30+ years and thousands of miles of driving?

Last edited by rokemester; 06-12-2018 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 06-12-2018, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes--I'm in the process of doing just that, though I'm converting the shocks from Sachs to Bilstein. This weekend new stock sway bar mounts go in, and I'll be doing the bushings on the front a-arm and rear torsion bar assemblies this coming winter. I plan to use stock parts for everything.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Love to know which struts and torsion bars folks are using for a weekend backroad car. My '71 3.2 is setup now as a pretty stiff track car and I'd like to make it more a weekend touring car, as I've moved to something more modern for track duty.
being love by new owners:
1990 964 C2, 2007 C4S Cabriolet, 1997 986, 1958 356 A
Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
Yes--I'm in the process of doing just that, though I'm converting the shocks from Sachs to Bilstein. This weekend new stock sway bar mounts go in, and I'll be doing the bushings on the front a-arm and rear torsion bar assemblies this coming winter. I plan to use stock parts for everything.
I’m curious as how you went about building your stock parts list and determining what to salvage and what to replace. My car actually drives pretty well, no squeaks, rumbles, groans or knocks but I just cruise around town trying to avoid getting one more traffic citation!
2016 BMW 328i
Old 06-12-2018, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
87 - 911

After 30 years any rubber is ready for replacement, I replaced bushings including those on the sway bar. While you are in there consider ball joints and struts.
While disassembled can Powder coat the steel parts.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nice! You digging into the steering rack?
2016 BMW 328i
Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I am doing the exact same thing to mine, keeping it stock. I did the front suspension last winter. Replaced all bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. The dampers were new enough that I didn’t replace them. I replaced the front wheel bearings, rotors, and pads prior to that. While the whole front suspension was off I dropped the rack and lubed it up real well, too.

Hopefully this winter I can get to the rear suspension and refresh it next.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Were you able to source all replacement parts from Pelican? I need to do some homework. Late Fall/Winter project. Porsche OEM or alternative?
Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just did this this winter. Stayed stock. Anything that was rubber was replaced and then some:

Front:
A arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, upper shock mounts, and sway bar mounts
Back:
Trailing arm bushings, spring plate bushings, rear bearings, drop links, and sway bar mounts.

A lot of other stuff as well. You can source everything through Pelican or Elephant Racing as well. Elephant racing has a handy suspension builder as well to help guide you.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
When I did mine it was "mostly" stock. I replaced all the rubber bushings with new rubber bushings. The torsion bars showed evidence of rubbing so I replaced them. I did go up one step. I went with 21 & 27 T-bars (front and rear) replaced the old dead shocks with new Bilstien HD shocks. It replaced the tie rods with Turbo type, new ball joints, rebuilt the steering rack. New sway bar bushings as well.

It made a nice improvement in the ride and steering. My wife is still happy to ride on long (5,000+ mile) road trips with me. It is for sure upgraded, but nothing drastic. It was for sure very much needed.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
87 - 911

I left the steering rack, though that is a possibility while you're in there.
All parts were stock and sourced from our host.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I went through the same thing. Part of it is in this thread
Gotta replace torsion bars
I could not find stock torsion bars. Everything available at the time was aftermarket, with somewhat different specs. Maybe things have changed. As I recall, I got bars that were most similar to stock from Pelican. No problems.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
Yes, all stock. ERP Rubber replaced all the OEM rubber, Bilstein HD struts and shocks, new front and rear bearings, tie rods, strut mounts, ball joint, etc, etc, etc. I pulled my steering rack, replaced the bearings, relubed and reinstalled.

I also did a home garage triangulated corner balance with Euro ride height. I am very happy with the set up. I find the car amazingly comfortable/compliant on the street. I'm not much of a track guy, so can't really speak to on-track or autocross performance.

86 Coupe (stock - pretty much like Butzi designed it)
65 Ducati Monza 250 & 66 Monza Junior (project)
"if you are lucky enough to own a Porsche, you are lucky enough"
Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I went with 21/27 aftermarket torsion bars and late Carrera (1986) sways that are thicker than stock SC. All bought used on this board.

Pelican has the Elephant front A arm and rear spring plate rubber bushings, but they don't seem to have the Elephant front strut upper shock mounts or rear trailing arm bushings in rubber.

Everything else (ball joints, shocks, turbo tie rods) you can get here.

Mark
Old 06-13-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Check this post, one of the best posts regarding suspension rebuilds.
'78 SC Elephant Racing Suspension Rebuild
Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donporfi View Post
Check this post, one of the best posts regarding suspension rebuilds.
'78 SC Elephant Racing Suspension Rebuild
Yes agree! This was the post I was thinking about when I initiated this thread. He uses components more engineered for track use. Iím just a cruiser.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
There are some fantastic threads with different Pelicans upgrading their stock suspensions. Some of the most technical and daunting upgrades you see on the board after engine rebuilds and upgrades!

Anyone just work on keeping their front and rear suspensions bone stock...but tuning them up after 30+ years and thousands of miles of driving?
I did my entire suspension recently and went all stock with the exception of Bilstein Sports in the back and Bilstein HD on the front. I also added adjustable rear drop links. I have it documented in my thread below. It's somewhat mixed up as we were working on a number of things, but if you scroll through you'll see a lot of info there. 1987 911 Carrera Rebuilding Engine Suspension Brakes and more to come
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
After a long history of both racing and doing track events, I'm starting to scale back (I did 30 days one year at 20 events, and lately do about 10 events a year). I have a long history of sliding down the slippery slope, climbing back to the top, then sliding down again, eventually turning wonderful street cars into track beasts that are horrible on the street or non-street legal. I once converted one of my milder Caymans back to stock parts, and was amazed at what a nice car it was!

But on to 911 content. When I bought my 1985 911, I determined at the outset that it was not to become a track car. I wanted a street friendly hot rod--a bit lighter, nicely finished, with a few personal touches. But it was not to be a track car--in my hands a track car leads a demanding life. I not only don't want to risk my nice old car, which is becoming more and more irreplaceable (it's 1 of 1 with this VIN!), I don't want to deal with the accelerated parts wear and damage to paint and glass that a track car unavoidably sees.

So . . . if not a track car, why go all the way back to stock suspension? Why not have the best of both worlds? Well, you just might already have that. The stock suspension, especially if upgraded with Bilstein or Koni dampers (which are stock-ish), is about perfect for any sane level of street activity. If you outdrive the stock suspension, you are going too fast for the street in nearly all situations and really should take it to the track.

When I started racing, you could still buy a 964 new! Yikes I'm old!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
After a long history of both racing and doing track events, I'm starting to scale back (I did 30 days one year at 20 events, and lately do about 10 events a year). I have a long history of sliding down the slippery slope, climbing back to the top, then sliding down again, eventually turning wonderful street cars into track beasts that are horrible on the street or non-street legal. I once converted one of my milder Caymans back to stock parts, and was amazed at what a nice car it was!

But on to 911 content. When I bought my 1985 911, I determined at the outset that it was not to become a track car. I wanted a street friendly hot rod--a bit lighter, nicely finished, with a few personal touches. But it was not to be a track car--in my hands a track car leads a demanding life. I not only don't want to risk my nice old car, which is becoming more and more irreplaceable (it's 1 of 1 with this VIN!), I don't want to deal with the accelerated parts wear and damage to paint and glass that a track car unavoidably sees.

So . . . if not a track car, why go all the way back to stock suspension? Why not have the best of both worlds? Well, you just might already have that. The stock suspension, especially if upgraded with Bilstein or Koni dampers (which are stock-ish), is about perfect for any sane level of street activity. If you outdrive the stock suspension, you are going too fast for the street in nearly all situations and really should take it to the track.

When I started racing, you could still buy a 964 new! Yikes I'm old!
Your speaking my language! I want to drive it the way the car was initially designed. But it does make sense to modernize intelligently. You all are giving me and others some great ideas and direction!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post

If you like your suspension then just R&R the bushes

there were 2 different 3.2 suspension specs
'84 & '85 w/ 20/18 sways and 18.8/24.1 t's
'86 on w/ 22/21 sways & 18.8/25 t's
Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: