Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

frunk seal

I was caught in a significant downpour the other week and had a lot of water coming into the car from what I assumed were door seals..i have since bolstered them and tested with flashlight in pitch black to look for "leaks" and appear to have solved that as a culprit..

BUT one area I ve always been concerned about was the front psgr side Frunk seal and the gap that is there and it being a possible source of water getting into the footwell...could I ask folks to post me some pictures of their seals at that corner so I can determine if the PO put in a wrong one (seen often with folks using seals from other years/models..) or did it incorrectly (seems impossible..but you never know)

All pics greatly appreciated

ps...77 Targa
Old 06-12-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

psgr corner...not a 90 degree turn of the seal?

psgr corner...shows the radius of the bend and all the space behind the seal that is or is not ok?

Hard to see but mid point of photo the seal makes its turn to the middle of the body, thats a lot of open space to edge of hood?

Old 06-12-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to irl
The seal is supposed to follow the lip so looks right. water will run along the seal and there also is a tray under the seal that will drain down along both sides and out the front if it gets down there. The seal is slightly pulled back just behind the bracket and you can start to see the tray edge in your photo, that may be a weak spot but doubt it. Pull and play with it a bit and you will see how it works. Somewhere your seal is shifted or come unsealed possibly. Also, check your lower front window corners, always a weak spot in early cars but prob would have to be some rust under there if it actually wasnt draining or sealed properly. Sure somebody will pop in with some other thoughts.
71 911T running sweet
63 356 outlaw frustrating purists
Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Seal should sit further back into outside corner so it sits inside the “tray”. Metal edge should show uniformly throughout. Easy to say , harder to do.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

If you decide to use adhesive to hold in place, use 3M trim adhesive. My PO or somebody used silicone seal and it etched the paint, creating surface rust and pitting under the seal that had to be repaired when I did my repaint. Added cost and the only rust found anywhere during bare metal respray. I was not happy.
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Mine leaked here. Water gets under the seal and even though there is a tray under the seal, mine must have a hole or something. I've watched water drip into the trunk and down to the footwell thru the ventilation entry point that is right there in the trunk.

I think to effectively seal this area you must use an adhesive or "dumdum" under the trunk seal. Get a passenger with a flashlight to look for drips as you take a cup of water and pour it onto that corner of the closed frunk. Then pop the frunk and look for the water (carpets out of course).

It was pretty obvious where the leak was on mine doing this.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks all...i ve reseated the seal using 3M and will commence water testing this week...
Old 06-13-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: