Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil in the heat exchanger.. Can I flush without removing?

I finished a valve job and head nut re-torque job and I did not drain the oil first... I did however let the oil spill out into a pan after coating my exhaust and heat exchangers over night..

So I now have a puddle of sort inside the heat exchanger on the drivers side.. Ive spent a couple of days trying to "burn it" however I just finished a 45 minute (30 miles) ride that doesnt seem to do much but make me dizzy..

Here is what I see after the ride - oil is coming out of the seams..

I have no significant oil from the top, I didn't have an issue before, I don't have oil leaking from valve covers, so I fairly certain its from the overnight leaking and seeping into the exchanges..

Can I pull the two hoses from the top of the heat ex-changer and flush (when engine is cold) with a garden hose. i.e Pour some non flammable de-greaser sit and then hose it?
Old 06-13-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sure you can, no problem. Just rinse really well, as whatever residue is left over from the de-greaser will make its way into your cabin when you turn on the heat later on. Use Simple Green or something similar.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
After the clean out, leave the hoses off the heater flap end for a while until everything burns off.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 06-14-2018, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you..

I had a quick thought this morning while disconnecting the hoses..

What would be the harm in drilling a 1/4 hole in the lower back portion of the heat exchanger to facilitate draining..?

I have the SSI heat exchangers..
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Life View Post
Thank you..

I had a quick thought this morning while disconnecting the hoses..

What would be the harm in drilling a 1/4 hole in the lower back portion of the heat exchanger to facilitate draining..?

I have the SSI heat exchangers..
Another option:
Remove air shroud hoses, then pour a solution of water-based degreaser into the heat exchanger. Whether single or dual out, the sheet metal formed around the exhaust pipes isn't water tight.

SSI HE:

Agitate with short spurts from a garden hose (don't overdo it), then use a shop vac or compressed air to remove excess liquid. Repeat. Run engine to evaporate the remaining moisture.

Sherwood
Old 06-14-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: