Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tire Age Question

I've got four new Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires ready to be mounted to four new Euromeister wheels. Looking at the country of manufacture, it seems the front tires were made in Romania and the rears in France.

Date codes:

Front 2417
Rear 3916

This means the front tires are a year old and the rears are nearly two years old. They seem plenty supple. Should I worry about their age?

* BTW, while I read lots of good reviews of this tire, I notice the sidewalls are nowhere near 'stiff.' they are as stiff as a prophylactic.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They really are continental.

My uncle used to buy tires a year or two in advance. He said they are meant to age/mature a little - who knows.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on your planned usage. If you put few miles on the car each year so the tires might age out before wear out, you might want to keep that in mind. A 2016 general purpose tire should be fine in 2020. In 2025 it will be a useless hockey puck.

Personal Note: No way I am mounting 2 yr old tires for competition motorsport.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think more than 5 years old would be cause for worry.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The usual and conservative age limit is 5yrs
Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
I’d heard Porsche was recommending replacement at six years.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 06-14-2018, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Continental must be clearing out their old stock. I also just bought a set for my 911SC, and two had date codes of 0417 and manufactured in Portugal. Against my better judgement I had them mounted, and regret doing so. They have a lot of mold release and also discoloration from stickers or other that are a whitish color and not sure how to remove. The fellow that mounted them commented that they weren't easy to balance, and I now have a string of weights on both inside and outside of the wheels that the previous Dunlops did not require.

I almost pulled the trigger on buying a set for my Z4C, but glad I didn't and will be looking elsewhere when I replace those tires. Shame -
Old 06-14-2018, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
To give you a data point -
I bought a set for my 16" fuchs back in November 2017 from Simpletire.com ($455 shipped for all 4).
The rears were 3316 and the fronts were 3017.

They are quite sticky! I haven't driven my 911 hard on other tires to compare but they do feel pretty stiff to me for a 16" 50 series tire.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie6 View Post
The fellow that mounted them commented that they weren't easy to balance, and I now have a string of weights on both inside and outside of the wheels that the previous Dunlops did not require.
Where did your tire installer place the balance dot in reference to the valve stem? Just curious.
I'm amazed how many tire installers don't know what those dots mean. Even on brand new vehicles sometimes I see the factory gets them wrong.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Are you sure those are both Extreme Contact Sports? The EC Sport didn't come out until mid 2017 IIRC.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
Where did your tire installer place the balance dot in reference to the valve stem? Just curious.
I'm amazed how many tire installers don't know what those dots mean. Even on brand new vehicles sometimes I see the factory gets them wrong.
No balance dots that I can see - maybe on the bead??? He's done tires for me before and has gotten it correct, so have high confidence in him that they were done correctly.

These are definitely EC Sports. Just got an email from the distributor stating that they received a new shipment, but all were from 2017 and probably overproduced and getting rid of their old stock
Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The red paint Dots on tires are marking the highest radial run out, Fuchs have a machined depression or paint spot marking their radial runout spot, the paint spot on the wheel should be matched to the paint spot on the tire. The spec for this is with in 30mm

from 1986 a stud is also marked w/ paint, this is where they want the locking nut and this should be matched to the valve stem.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
The red paint Dots on tires are marking the highest radial run out, Fuchs have a machined depression or paint spot marking their radial runout spot, the paint spot on the wheel should be matched to the paint spot on the tire. The spec for this is with in 30mm

from 1986 a stud is also marked w/ paint, this is where they want the locking nut and this should be matched to the valve stem.

Never heard this before. My understanding was the balance dots aligned with the tire stem. Any pics of the depression or paint spot on the Fuchs wheels? My are on an '81SC and wasn't able to find either of those -
Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
i `m + 1 with Bill plenty of 911 i have serviced had this Red marking to point us where valve had to be located...
Ivan

Bill ,i have a question for ya...I have those 245/50/16 saved up in my garage...but they are 3707 made ..Are they really just rubber to throw away by now?The are made in USA where the rubber is and always was better quality...then nowadays for the rest of the world...
thanx

Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 06-14-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie6 View Post
Never heard this before. My understanding was the balance dots aligned with the tire stem. Any pics of the depression or paint spot on the Fuchs wheels? My are on an '81SC and wasn't able to find either of those -
It's right out of the Porsche TSBs
Old 06-14-2018, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
i `m + 1 with Bill plenty of 911 i have serviced had this Red marking to point us where valve had to be located...
Ivan

Bill ,i have a question for ya...I have those 245/50/16 saved up in my garage...but they are 3707 made ..Are they really just rubber to throw away by now?The are made in USA where the rubber is and always was better quality...then nowadays for the rest of the world...
thanx

Ivan
they are over 11yrs old, your decision
Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
ok ,tomorrow trash day ,they are goners..thanx

Ivan
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I've heard that the dots mean different things depending on the he tire manufacturer. Yellow vs red vs white. Anyone got a copy of that tsb?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I've heard that the dots mean different things depending on the he tire manufacturer. Yellow vs red vs white. Anyone got a copy of that tsb?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

On "marking the wheel stud nearest the valve stem and replacing the balanced wheel/tire in the same spot"......it was probably about 1990 when I put a set of tires on my 69 912 and had them balanced on the car. The process was to jack up the front end, fit a circular device with knurled dials in the center on the outside ledge of the wheel, then use an electric motor with a roller fashioned like a floor jack to slide under the tire and spin it up to speed. The technician would then place his one hand on the fender and the other hand worked the knurled dials. When everything quit shaking and became smooth, he would hit a brake on the electric motor and then read the dials to indicate where to place the balancing weights. He'd then spin it up again to check his work. For the rears, it was jack up the rear end, crank up the engine and put the car in gear. Same process. This balanced the entire corner of the car---wheel, tire and brake rotor. Now you have a reason to put the wheel back in the same spot as it was balanced using this method. With the tire machines nowadays, that is "old school" and haven't seen it done since that day in 1990.

As far as the red and yellow dots on the tires, pretty much every tire manufacturer I have read up on claims to A) place the red dot at the point marked on the wheel, if you don't have a red dot but only a yellow dot, then B) yellow dot matches the valve stem, and finally if the wheel isn't marked and you have both a yellow and red dot, then C) the red dot takes precedence over the yellow dot and you put the red dot at the valve stem. The last several sets of tires I've put on my various vehicles, I've always put the red dot at the valve stem and the result was very minimal balancing weights; one 17" Hankook on a Subaru wheel required only 1/4 ounce in one spot for the static balance.

Now, when you have directional tires and the red and yellow dots wind up on the inside edge of the tire, you might have some basic explanation on what to do with the person mounting the tires.....

Last edited by SCadaddle; 06-14-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: