Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
daltvater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 516
Garage
Brake Caliper ID Help

Looking for a bit help from you experts. Trying to fit brake pads to these but not sure what brakes I even have. I ordered brake pads for a 1995 993 Turbo setup but the rear pads Pelican sent are too big. Wondering if I don't have 993 Turbo brakes???

Thanks so much!

Dan

Front...



Rear

Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,707
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltvater View Post
Looking for a bit help from you experts. Trying to fit brake pads to these but not sure what brakes I even have. I ordered brake pads for a 1995 993 Turbo setup but the rear pads Pelican sent are too big. Wondering if I don't have 993 Turbo brakes???

Thanks so much!

Dan

Front...



Rear

they are not 993t brakes, 993t rear is the same caliper as 993 or 964RS or 964 3.3t front

does the front 993t pad fit your front? If it does the front is a 993RS/993t front aka 'Big Red'

Looks like 964RS/964t(but it's hard to tell from the angle) if so the 993t rear pads should fit them

the rear could be 993 rear or plain 964rear or even 964 3.3t rear, they all use the same pad though there are differences in the piston size and width. These all use the 3.3 930 pad.

Here's a pic that shows the pad differences
front to back

3.3 930 f/r, 964front(& rear w/ 4piston rear), 993rear, 965r, 928 r
993f, 964t 3.3 f, 964RS, 993tt/RS r, 928S4 f
993RS/tt f, 964t 3.6f, 928GTS f
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
daltvater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 516
Garage
Bill I swear you have answered 10's of questions for me over the years. Not sure what I'd do without your help!

So the 993 Turbo front pads fit mine so I must have Big Red's in the front?

Here is a picture of the rear pads that I removed. Looks like I just have plan old 993 rears??

Thanks Bill!

Old 06-14-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,707
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltvater View Post
Bill I swear you have answered 10's of questions for me over the years. Not sure what I'd do without your help!

So the 993 Turbo front pads fit mine so I must have Big Red's in the front?

Here is a picture of the rear pads that I removed. Looks like I just have plan old 993 rears??

Thanks Bill!

Possibly

there were 3 different rear and 1 front caliper that used those small pads, not counting the 930s

964 rear have 28/30mm pistons and narrow throats, it takes some work to get them on 28mm thick rotors. These should not be used w/ big red fronts due to bias issues

964 front have 40/36mm pistons and are designed for 28mm thick rotors, but again due to bias issues should not be used w/ big red fronts

993 rear have 30/34mm pistons and while not the beast paring are at least ok for use w/ big red fronts, like the 964 rears it takes some work to get them over 28mm rotors

964t use 30/34mm pistons and are designed for 28mm rotors, these are the best choice(of the small Brembo calipers) for use w/ big red fronts
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
daltvater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 516
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Possibly

there were 3 different rear and 1 front caliper that used those small pads, not counting the 930s

964 rear have 28/30mm pistons and narrow throats, it takes some work to get them on 28mm thick rotors. These should not be used w/ big red fronts due to bias issues

964 front have 40/36mm pistons and are designed for 28mm thick rotors, but again due to bias issues should not be used w/ big red fronts

993 rear have 30/34mm pistons and while not the beast paring are at least ok for use w/ big red fronts, like the 964 rears it takes some work to get them over 28mm rotors

964t use 30/34mm pistons and are designed for 28mm rotors, these are the best choice(of the small Brembo calipers) for use w/ big red fronts

Bill, turns out I have the 993 rears. The car is heavily biased towards the rear brakes however. The shop said they can install a brake bias for a few hundred bucks to fix it. Curious what you think about that?

Dan
Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,707
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltvater View Post
Bill, turns out I have the 993 rears. The car is heavily biased towards the rear brakes however. The shop said they can install a brake bias for a few hundred bucks to fix it. Curious what you think about that?

Dan
BS
993 big red front(993RS/tt) w/ base 993 rear is functionally what was used on 964 3.6T
bias is 1.659 compared to a stock say '83 SC which has 1.491

I have 993RS on both of mine w/ 1.426, this is getting down to where you might think about a p/v though it's still not at all necessary.

Why do you say that there is too much rear bias?
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:22 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.