Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Thick Grip Fatty Steering Wheel 1974 / 1975 Carrera RS RSR

For sale is very nice thick grip sport steering wheel which is option 565 380mm concentric steering wheel. This wheel has been recovered, in great shape, and complete as shown. These were standard on 74/75 Carreras and an option on other models I believe. This wheel shows a date code of 438 (38th week of 1974) with another stamp of 33 above.

Price: $1500

Local pickup is an option in SoCal or can ship at buyer's expense.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Last edited by jpsurfer; 02-01-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Old 02-01-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Curious on value of an original and unrestored thick grip steering wheel with the extended hub.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Measurement at the lower center base to the bottom of the horn pad ? And how many inches from upper handle - at the very bottom tip edgewise to the TOP of horn pad? Normally the Fatty is approx. at least 3.5" for it is very HUB CENTRIC/CENTER horn pad - as opposed to standard SC is approx. at least 4" for it is OFF CENTER horn pad.

See pictures below: Fatty VS Standard SC steering wheel as comparison:

Fatty LOWER middle spoke measurement is approx. at least <>1.25":

Standard stock SC LOWER middle spoke measurement is approx. at least <> 1":

Fatty Carrera Sport Club measurement from TOP HANDLE to Top horn pad:

Standard stock SC measurement from TOP HANDLE to Top horn pad:

Last edited by ARad; 02-02-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Old 02-01-2019, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Who recovered it?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARad View Post
Measurement at the lower center base to the bottom of the horn pad ? And how many inches from upper handle - at the very bottom tip edgewise to the TOP of horn pad? Normally the Fatty is approx. at least 3.5" for it is very HUB CENTRIC/CENTER horn pad - as opposed to standard SC is approx. at least 4" for it is OFF CENTER horn pad.

See pictures below: Fatty VS Standard SC steering wheel as comparison:

Fatty lower middle spoke measurement is approx. at least <>1.25":

Standard stock SC middle spoke measurement is approx. at least <> 1":

Fatty Carrera Sport Club:

Standard stock SC:

Correct me if Iím wrong but there werenít two variations of this wheel for that date of manufacture.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Please see pics. carefully (last two pics) as you can see thick and thin grips - They are two different mfg dates on FATTY and stock plain SC steering wheels.
The ONLY difference is what you can see in pics. above. FATTY from 74-75 911S Carrera Sport Club and rest of from 78 to 84 are just SC years is the only thing you know are the mfg dates. Measurements as shown are very obvious as two different versions of 3-spoke steering wheels. Sometimes it is hard to tell by naked eyes if someone takes a pic of front view of the steering wheel - Only IF you are using a ruler or a measuring tape will tell a whole picture clearly.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Please see pics. carefully (last two pics) as you can see thick and thin grips - They are two different mfg dates on FATTY and stock plain SC steering wheels.
The ONLY difference is what you can see in pics. above. FATTY from 74-75 911S Carrera Sport Club and rest of from 78 to 84 are just SC years is the only thing you know are the mfg dates. Measurements as shown are very obvious as two different versions of 3-spoke steering wheels. Sometimes it is hard to tell by naked eyes if someone takes a pic of front view of the steering wheel - Only IF you are using a ruler or a measuring tape will tell a whole picture clearly.
Yeah my point was the seller showed the date so that only leaves one option right? ďFattyĒ
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Nathanbs - Yes the seller at very top of thread showed the date as only ONE option for it is real genuine FATTY - Hence, I posted 4 pics in order for you all to know the difference between fatty and stock SC steering wheel in measurement-wise.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Nathanbs - Yes the seller at very top of thread showed the date as only ONE option for it is real genuine FATTY - Hence, I posted 4 pics in order for you all to know the difference between fatty and stock SC steering wheel in measurement-wise.
Oh your post had ď?Ē marks so I thought you were asking him questions. Sorry for the confusion
Old 02-01-2019, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsurfer View Post
For sale is very nice thick grip sport steering wheel which is option 565 380mm concentric steering wheel. This wheel has been recovered, in great shape, and complete as shown. These were standard on 74/75 Carreras and an option on other models I believe. This wheel shows a date code of 438 (38th week of 1974) with another stamp of 33 above.

Price: $1500

Local pickup is an option in SoCal or can ship at buyer's expense.

Hey jpsurfer - Got a question thou...My fatty shows stamped date code of 347 (Is it defined as: 47th week of 1973 - ready for early 1974 model release) with another stamp of 33 above as well. Can you explain what does date code 347 clearly defined as ?? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

ARad,

Yes you are correct that your wheel would be from the 47th week of 1973. It was very likely part of a 74 Carrera or 74 911S at some point.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Lots of info here, wheel is still available.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the interest, still have this.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Does anyone knows who sells replacement leather cover kit for these fatty wheels ?
18 Chevy Colorado diesel
BIG RED Firetruck and assorted v-dub ,porsche parts hoarder..LoL
Old 02-09-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelny911 View Post
Does anyone knows who sells replacement leather cover kit for these fatty wheels ?
Yes Alan Gun (AGLA) (owner of steering wheel restoration in FL) still makes those as you just info him of your specific needs to match your steering wheel type (3 spoke, Fatty, or 4 spoke for your 911's and he has everything (leather recover kit) to match your needs).

Also, Dallas Steering (Dallas, Tx) do those as well.

And CarBone FlatSix Design do those steering wheels restoration as well (here on Pelican member name: noboco)
Old 02-09-2019, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

ARad thanks
18 Chevy Colorado diesel
BIG RED Firetruck and assorted v-dub ,porsche parts hoarder..LoL
Old 02-09-2019, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Quote:
Yes Alan Gun (AGLA) (owner of steering wheel restoration in FL) still makes those as you just info him of your specific needs to match your steering wheel type (3 spoke, Fatty, or 4 spoke for your 911's and he has everything (leather recover kit) to match your needs).
Also, Dallas Steering (Dallas, Tx) do those as well.
And CarBone FlatSix Design do those steering wheels restoration as well (here on Pelican member name: noboco)
PLease avoid AGLA at all cost. (unless you want something for your Japanese car)
His 'restoration shop' is a PO box storefront in a strip mall.
Do a search on this board, or Rennlist.
Bill K
Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
PLease avoid AGLA at all cost. (unless you want something for your Japanese car)
His 'restoration shop' is a PO box storefront in a strip mall.
Do a search on this board, or Rennlist.
Bill K
I recently had two fatties recovered by Alan, and they were both very well done. I was quite pleased with his work. Have you gotten any work done by him? If you have an actual complaint of your own then share it. The PO Box is exactly that, itís where he receives his mail - thatís it. He chooses not to take delivery of huge boxes with steering wheels in them at his home, I guess thatís his prerogative.

Recovering steering wheels isnít a booming business, itís more like a fading art, and trashing the ones left that are doing it for a living isnít necessarily good for the hobby, especially if you donít have any first hand complaints of your own. His two car garage has been converted into his work shop, thatís where he does all of his leather recovering, not at a PO Box. I, in fact, addressed these past complaints with him prior to going ahead with recovering my wheels. He told me it happened during a time period when he had so much work that he needed to bring in help, and all of those complaints were related to someone elseís work, his employee, not his own. Yes, it was his name on the door, and his name on the invoice and shipping label, and his name that got trashed as a result on PP and Rennlist, but heís corrected that issue.

I believe he learned from that experience, he now does all of his own leather recovering, people just wait in line when he gets busy. Which is what I did. I waited behind others because he actually does really good work. And Iíve got a couple more fatties sitting at his shop waiting to get recovered as well.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
cycling has-been

He held my fatty for 8 months, was unresponsive to my inquires, I had to threaten law suit, finally returned my wheel, and it was done in the wrong color leather.
What else do you want to know?
Like I said, do a Pelican search on the his name. I'm not the only one.
Bill K

Trouble with AGLA

Anyone know the whereabouts of Alan Gun of AGLA?

Last edited by bkreigsr; 02-10-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: