Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

FS 3.0 SC 1980 Rebuilt engine long block

Old Price $16,500
New New Price $11,000. Very motivated to sell
930/07
9.3 to 1
Stock rebuild CIS engine
Total Seal gapless rings set to .015
ARP Headstuds
RS rocker shaft seals
Standard tensioners with safety collars added
Mostly new zinc hardware
Mostly silicone hi temp painted and powder coated
Curil T
Loctite 574 & 562
Corning Molykote 55
NGK BPR7ES
Brad Penn break in oil
All 3 new engine sensors
Special attention paid to any and all oil sealing areas
USB drive with over 100 pics of the build process
Cam timing set exact with digital cam wheel setup from a fellow Pelicanite
Z1 is set at exact TDC
Valves set to .10 +/- .01 with digital dial indicators

My buddy owns a small car dealership in Mass. and he bought this car from the widow of the owner who had the engine rebuilt about 1000 miles or so before he got sick and passed away. This car ran great with no smoking or any leaks so he was getting it ready to sell by detailing it and doing a bit of maintenance such as oil and filter and adjusting the valves and when his guy went to adjust the valves he found a broken head stud.
He got scared off and didn't trust his guys to go through the engine and not screw it up and he'd lose money on the car if he had to pay retail to repair it so he decided to part it out to try and recoup his money.

I bought the engine, trans, suspension and brakes from him for a 914 project.
I found it had a total of 3 broken head studs so I tore it down and found the pistons, heads, and cylinders looked almost new. Based on this and the condition of the rest of the internals like the small end rod bearings I didn't feel the need to split the case but did all of the above work to get it ready to go.

The more I thought about it the more I realized that I wanted a bit more power and ITB EFI so I decided to sell this one and build another one.

Thanks for reading my long winded story and if you have any ????'s I'll do my best to answer them
My email is Bigtoe32067@yahoo.com
My cell is 832-681-0066. I live out in the country and get horrible cell service so my phone doesn't ring all the time so leave a message and I'll call you back
Tony Moore
Montgomery TX

Last edited by Bigtoe32067; 08-13-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-31-2019, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Let's of interest but no offers.

Going back to EBay I guess

Someone please save me from that

Tony
Old 08-01-2019, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Since nobody here seems to be interested in making an offer its back to EBay
I thought for sure this would go quick. They always seem to when I'm looking for one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333286181248
Old 08-03-2019, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Come on. Someone make me a decent offer and it's yours. My wife won't let me build anything else until I sell this.
Somebody needs a 3.0l for a 914/6 or a long hood outlaw build

Tony
Old 08-05-2019, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What price will it take to sell this engine?
How about $12K and I'll even knock of $5k if you have a usable 3.0l or larger core engine.

That's cheaper than a used 3.0l.

If it helps I'll throw a very little used clutch and flywheel, headers, crossover pipe, and catalytic converter. One of the headers was rusted and has had the rust cut out but not repaired yet.

I haven't had very many messages about it and I really need to sell it so my wife will get off my back about spending any more money on my 914 conversion.

Thanks
Tony
Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Come on people my wife thinks she's got me this so I need to sell this so I can get back to finishing my other cars.
How about $11k. That make it almost the cheapest 3.0l for sale out. It's less than most of them that are used with no idea of their internal condition or future reliability and this one has all new or almost new internals and everything has been measured and double checked for proper operation along with a USB drive with pics of every step of the way showing measurements and adjustments.

So $11,000 is the New Price
Call me with questions
Tony Moore 832-681-0066
Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So how about a question for the all knowing Pelicanites.

Does it seem like less people are buying 3.0l's than in the last few years. It seems like a mad rush over the last few years has moved from smaller into larger displacement engines.

Either way though there seems to be a large number of engines available but not selling on here and just wondered what everyone thought about this. Is it my imagination that as soon as I decide to sell mine there seems to be tons of them available and none selling whereas in the past when I was looking there wasn't any available and when they did come up for sale they were rediculous money and snapped up overnight.
Is it just me? Do I stink?
What do you all think?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Diving in 911

Garage
3.0 market

I think the 911 fever is starting to break. There was a lot of artificial inflation that carried over into the parts market. They built a million of these cars there is nothing particularly rare about them other than being incredible sports cars. The 3.0 is a great motor. They will all sell, but likely as people need them now, rather than being hoarded away because you “might not get another chance”.

It would be great if the 911 market tanked. It might get some younger folks in the hobby. There is also a direct correlation between interest and the availability of new aftermarket parts for us enthusiasts.

Never “invest” in cars, only invest in your own delight with them.
1987 951 Turbo
1987 928s4 Granite Green
Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sadly it takes someone rebuilding a 3.0 to find out how much a rebuilt one is worth... If done right it will cost $15-$20 easy to rebuild a 3.0 motor. So that being said, everyone thinks they can do it cheaper, so they look for the "deal" and buy it only to realize it is not cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoe32067 View Post
So how about a question for the all knowing Pelicanites.

Does it seem like less people are buying 3.0l's than in the last few years. It seems like a mad rush over the last few years has moved from smaller into larger displacement engines.

Either way though there seems to be a large number of engines available but not selling on here and just wondered what everyone thought about this. Is it my imagination that as soon as I decide to sell mine there seems to be tons of them available and none selling whereas in the past when I was looking there wasn't any available and when they did come up for sale they were rediculous money and snapped up overnight.
Is it just me? Do I stink?
What do you all think?
1976 911S + 2006 911 4S + 2009 Cayenne GTS
Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looks like it has a bid at 10800...https://www.ebay.com/itm/333294174245?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=333294174245
Old 08-13-2019, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The last auction had a bidder that never materialized and this one hasn't responded to my messages either so I fear it's another bs ghost bidder. EBay sucks so bad lately and its a shame it has gotten so bad
Tony
Old 08-13-2019, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I do think the market has cooled a bit but it still takes the same amount of money to build one and I think that's the disconnect. At least for now.
I've never bought a car as an investment and always lost money on them. But I'm ok with that because my return on investment is in the experience and joy of driving them.
I'd love the market to go down more to get younger people involved in the ownership experience.
Thanks for the comment and opinions
Tony
Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Diving in 911

Garage
Quote:
I do think the market has cooled a bit but it still takes the same amount of money to build one and I think that's the disconnect. At least for now.
I've never bought a car as an investment and always lost money on them. But I'm ok with that because my return on investment is in the experience and joy of driving them.
I'd love the market to go down more to get younger people involved in the ownership experience.
Thanks for the comment and opinions
Tony
Amen. I don’t drink much, don’t smoke, don’t step out on my wife. But there are times she would rather I did all of those things than collect Porsche’s 😆
1987 951 Turbo
1987 928s4 Granite Green
Old 08-13-2019, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

great deal

You could not buy a core and replicate what you have for the price.A year ago it would not last a week.I never thought the pelican market had an umbilical cord attached to the Fed decisions before but? Just a thought from Drain Bamage Input.Yes,the misspelling is correct.Ciao
Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
PM Sent
Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
What do you all think?
Posting more relevant info about the engine and build, and less backdrop might help.

GLWS
Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Pmax. I thought I posted too much info but I guess not the right info. Could you expand on your relevant info about the engine and build thiughts?

Faapgar. I thought the same. I probably should have gotten off my butt and built it last year and sold it but I wasn't really doing it for the money so I guess I guess it doesn't matter and I'll get to the wherever the markets at, hopefully soon.

Tbone425. I'm the same except I don't drink at all but I may start now and my wife feels the same about mine and while she doesn't set the rules (don't tell her I said that) I like to let her think she does and she asked not to spend any more until I sold this motor and I graciously said ok. Thinking incorrectly that it would've been gone in the first few days.

Thanks guys for the input. I value this boards opinion on many things and lurked for years before I became legal and registered and now I can't seem to get away from all the informative posts and the interesting threads like all the build posts and certainly ones like the sealants and the trans fluid ones. I appreciate everyone's input in making this the best board on the Internet and where I spend most of my time learning things and being entertained. I try to give back a little a little in the technical forums because I owned a shop for almost 25 years before I retired a few years ago and have seen and solved many issues over the years.
Tony

Last edited by Bigtoe32067; 08-14-2019 at 02:37 AM..
Old 08-14-2019, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: