Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to KNIGHTRACE
1975 Tail with raised Aluminum VW logo

This tail is part Aluminum with fiberglass over the Aluminum. It is been a mystery too long.. I have been told 75' turbo prototype, Iroc tail with carrera rubber. may be a carrera tail. The grill is the size some of the 934's used, not the skinny A/C part found on normal tail. I truly do not know what it is but before you say Porsche did not have VW logos on there parts. There is a 75 Porsche steering wheel with the exact same logo on it. It was the fat steering wheel everyone seems to want. The price is $1600 in a wooden crate with high compression foam liner, you pay the shipping. Please email knightrace@mac.com if you have any questions.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Not absolutely certain of year but think it is a 75' based on the VW logo... It has been a mystery, I will sand of the paint to prove it is part AL if anyone wants. Thanks, William
Old 08-02-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
JED

Garage
Is the entire deck lid aluminum?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The lower side is AL, but Fred Apcar has somewhat committed over the phone, I don't want to screw anyone over. Thanks, WK
Old 08-02-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi William,

Interested .. give me a call..

Harry
Old 08-02-2019, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
So when a non believer says your Porsche is a glorified VW. Here finally is the proof. The missing link. GLWS. Thanks Rob.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Harry I will give you a call tomorrow. Thanks, William
Old 08-02-2019, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Rob, I had so many people tell me it wasn't real..........I paid stupid money for it because it was partially Aluminum base with VW logo raised in it.. Well A Pelican person sent me a photo of a fat 75 3 spoke steering wheel like any 911 and it has the exact VW logo in it...
Old 08-03-2019, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

William

Hope all is well.

This is an interesting whale tail, especially being one with an aluminum deck lid.

I am curious if on the underneath side of the deck lid you can locate if there is a Porsche part number 930 512 010 00.

FYI There is a wealth of knowledge found in the thread below regarding 930 whale tails:

The original OEM tail thread collective documentation

Regards
Old 08-03-2019, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

William,
The VW logo is most likely *not* on the lid. Based on the reversed caracters next to it, it is likely the imprint of the scripts that were in the latch that was bolted there.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
It is where the latch bolted but the letters are raised, and in is not due from the latch, latch had nothing on it, was like any other latch. It looks like it is sold, Fred sent me an email stating he wants it and there are two people behind him. Fred Apcar knew the tail and much more than I did, I am sad to tell how much I have in it... I thought it was from a real iroc car or such being AL and paid way too much for it... Still uncertain for sure but Ian Carpenter was in my shop a few weeks ago and I had to pull it down to show him the VW logo and the Aluminum He was a little shocked it seemed and he said well that is rare. I spent 5 years trying to figure it out and I am way past it and I hope the new owner is pleased. WK
Old 08-03-2019, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Not that is matters but what you see on your lid (which is not a VW part) is the imprint of such a latch being pressed on it for so many years:

Last edited by GeorgeK; 08-03-2019 at 06:27 AM..
Old 08-03-2019, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

actually this latch:

Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
actually this latch:

Damn sleuth!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
Not that is matters but what you see on your lid (which is not a VW part) is the imprint of such a latch being pressed on it for so many years:

George, you are brilliant! I replate about 100 of those a year and am careful to take detailed pics of this exact stamping when doing multiple latches at one time. They are like fingerprints, each one is unique. But I never would have thought that the image on lid was just a transfer from the latch. Bravo!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Titanium User

Looks like some sort of undercoating on that tail - all the years of the latch being secured tightly transferred the lettering! So what’s the verdict? No stamped VW logo, but what did it come from?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think there is any way to know for sure, the latch that came off didn't have anything on it, and the tail is Aluminum and yes it would be possible with a press to imprint that into Aluminum BUT take the latch and bolt it to Aluminum I wager it takes thousands of pounds of force to make the indention. That is not what has happened, If you could see it in person you would be able to tell it. WK
Old 08-03-2019, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Titanium User

Why don’t you want to believe it’s possible? You can faintly see the 9015 portion of the part number from the latch. Why don’t you scrape away the black undercoating and see if it’s stamped into the metal?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

no no, let's be fair. Porsche (well, VW) regularly stamps their part numbers reversed.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
DG567. Sincerely I was recently educated about the reverse stamping while making a peen wager that Porsche didn't stay there parts with a VW logo.... Ian Carpenter sent me a photo of the VW logo on a 75 steering wheel for sale here on Pelican.. The fact is this has the raised logo. I am an Engineer and an employ of mine is a TOP level ME engineer offered a gob ny NASA and I can tell you you could cause the impression on alunium with about 1300 lb of force if the latch was strong enough to be flat but two 8 mm bolts at about 26 lbs won't do it..... GeorgeK is right also the part is spoken for and I paid $2500 for it.... Yes I made a mistake maybe unless it is worth more but I will Keep my word and sell for $1600 crated plus shipping..... The thing has eaten too much of my time with people saying it isn't Al or the logo isn't raised.... Then the see it and are like WOW... selling for a move but Great Wall art.. I do not mean to be offensive but this is not an impregnation from a latch......
Old 08-04-2019, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: