Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Arrow Could my 76 911 targa have been a Belgium police car

I purchased my car in 1980 from a US army officer who bought it back from Belgium to Ft Lee Virginia.
I was just doing Google searches to identify the exact location of the fuel pump. So I come across a wiki search that talks about a very small production run of 911 targas for the Belgium police. Now here's the real kicker, it has a sirene installed under the dash. I did not know what it was for many years but at some point a few years back I happened to find a button on bottom of dash and pushed it. Low and behold it turned the siren on.
I always just assumed it was part of a security system until I ran across the wiki article.

So does anyone know how /where I could validate my suspicion.?

Old 08-21-2019, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

https://petrolicious.com/articles/gallery-go-behind-the-scenes-on-our-1976-porsche-911-targa-belgian-police-car-film-shoot

I had to look this up. Do you have the screw holes in the targa from the siren & holes in the bumper for the lights and sirens?

From the article, owner ARI has a list of the 20 vins so either someone might know ARI or know how to get that list
Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wouldn’t THAT be cool? I’d venture a guess and start with the factory. From what I’ve read, the new requirements for a COA are frickin ridiculous and NOT worth the $, BUT, in your case it may well be. Does it meet the colors for their force? Wouldn’t there be holes in the Targa bar for lights like the earlier Police cars? Post pics please.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The sirene is still installed. And I believe it does have some unexplained holes in the front bumper. I am 72 years old and basically have not driven the car much in the last few years. But it has a always lived in a garage.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No holes in the targa bar.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have actually toured the factory in Germany and know that they have very detailed performance data on every single car they have ever built.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Yes it is indeed Belgium Police targa right under your nose
Restore it to a former gem police targa to add in the list for another RAREST police in the world from 1 to 20 in production. But a question is how many are left out there that EXIST in this world for this particular Belgium Police 911 targa ?? Probably 2 or 3 ?? The less the more value it becomes more RARE as one of a kind...Just wondering if there are other Police targas out there just like yours??
It is a true RARE treasure sitting in your garage the whole time in the last few years! Better get it insured on it just in case if it ever gets snatched from your garage...
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I am blown away by the possibility and hold my breath until I can verify. I really don't know where to start other than this forum. And I would not be here if would start so I came here looking for help to troubleshoot the fuel pump.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Well, if the siren is inside the car and not outside, I'd say it's part of an alarm system. No doubt the jokes will start about the Belgian cops but....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincincy View Post
I purchased my car in 1980 from a US army officer who bought it back from Belgium to Ft Lee Virginia.
I was just doing Google searches to identify the exact location of the fuel pump. So I come across a wiki search that talks about a very small production run of 911 targas for the Belgium police. Now here's the real kicker, it has a sirene installed under the dash. I did not know what it was for many years but at some point a few years back I happened to find a button on bottom of dash and pushed it. Low and behold it turned the siren on.
I always just assumed it was part of a security system until I ran across the wiki article.

So does anyone know how /where I could validate my suspicion.?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARad View Post
Yes it is indeed Belgium Police targa right under your nose
Restore it to a former gem police targa to add in the list for another RAREST police in the world from 1 to 20 in production. But a question is how many are left out there that EXIST in this world for this particular Belgium Police 911 targa ?? Probably 2 or 3 ?? The less the more value it becomes more RARE as one of a kind...Just wondering if there are other Police targas out there just like yours??
It is a true RARE treasure sitting in your garage the whole time in the last few years! Better get it insured on it just in case if it ever gets snatched from your garage...
What makes you so confident to declare it indeed a Belgium police car?
Old 08-21-2019, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

To be one of the 20 it would have to be a 2.7 MFI car,What is the serial number?That will help.Fred
Old 08-22-2019, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If itís the real deal and you need insurance help I work for Hagerty and also live in the Richmond, Va area! Iím also a Targa owner so I would love to see it!

Thanks

Andrew
Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

The articles I read said they were all 1974 Targa's with 2.7rs motors, not sure if that was a mistake in the article. Not sure about 1976.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i tend to agree ..from the pictures i ve seen it look like it is on th front bumper.

on the the rear there are 3 holes in the body trim that raps around and below the bumper.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

i will keep you posted
Old 08-22-2019, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faapgar View Post
To be one of the 20 it would have to be a 2.7 MFI car,What is the serial number?That will help.Fred
the engine SN 6362331

I have found nothing online beyond the first 3 digits

thanks
Old 08-22-2019, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

no holes in targa bar.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincincy View Post
no holes in targa bar.
Maybe the targa cover have been change but you could see if you take off inside bar.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
Post some pictures. This kind of story is cool no matter the outcome.Are there any existing examples that it could be compared with by pictures. Thanks Rob.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: