Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

3.2 Cracked Fan Shroud

This is from an '84 Carrera 3.2

Maybe you can weld up the cracks and reuse?

$40 shipped CONUS.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you have pm...
Old 12-11-2019, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I’ll take it
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera, Black
2006 Porsche Cayenne S, Black
Old 12-11-2019, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

Pending to ARad.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

Sold to ARad.

Please post pics of the finished product if you get this welded up. I tried several times to get someone to try welding on this and no one wanted to try. We have a lot of helicopter industry guys around with magnesium parts and no one wanted to give it a shot. I had to buy a very expensive repop.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rule of thumb - Never weld on any magnesium for they do catch FIRE (As for FYI: magnesium are flammable due to different kind of metal element)

In other words, Magnesium Fire: the most dangerous metal in the Machine Shop if attempting on any welding repairs are not safe, hence, no wonder you mentioned this: "no one wanted to try and no one wanted to give it a shot" - Better off get new shrouds or good used ones as well.

I plan to repair with marine-tex epoxy that will do its's job (8500 psi is very high strength for any magnesium components such as targa top arms, fan shrouds, etc. any thing related to alum and some metal as well since been using those marine-tex epoxy over those years and very happy with excellent results on their products, and they are still good on every part I use, even to today from many years ago when applied marine-tex epoxy. And will not use this shroud for engine but as a nicely repaired Lamp Shade
Old 12-12-2019, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

Repurposed as a lamp shade is even more interesting. Now you really need to post a pic of the finished product.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARad View Post
Rule of thumb - Never weld on any magnesium for they do catch FIRE (As for FYI: magnesium are flammable due to different kind of metal element)

In other words, Magnesium Fire: the most dangerous metal in the Machine Shop if attempting on any welding repairs are not safe, hence, no wonder you mentioned this: "no one wanted to try and no one wanted to give it a shot" - Better off get new shrouds or good used ones as well.

I plan to repair with marine-tex epoxy that will do its's job (8500 psi is very high strength for any magnesium components such as targa top arms, fan shrouds, etc. any thing related to alum and some metal as well since been using those marine-tex epoxy over those years and very happy with excellent results on their products, and they are still good on every part I use, even to today from many years ago when applied marine-tex epoxy. And will not use this shroud for engine but as a nicely repaired Lamp Shade
You sound like MSM spreading false information
Old 12-12-2019, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Please tell your potential buyer of the repair method you took.
As maybe he might resell it ?

As personally I would never reuse a fan housing repaired in that manner.
Very scary as The Whole housing is flexed its not just the areas that blew up and will keep doing so regardless of epoxy.

Good luck and buyer beware planning to reuse on engine

I've seen few professional repair these in a totally different manner. but at nearly at the cost of a new housing in some cases it's worth it due to the special significance of the shroud.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I was thinking of using it as wall art with a fan or possible a clock.
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera, Black
2006 Porsche Cayenne S, Black
Old 12-12-2019, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbyrd View Post
Please tell your potential buyer of the repair method you took.
As maybe he might resell it ?

As personally I would never reuse a fan housing repaired in that manner.
Very scary as The Whole housing is flexed its not just the areas that blew up and will keep doing so regardless of epoxy.

Good luck and buyer beware planning to reuse on engine

I've seen few professional repair these in a totally different manner. but at nearly at the cost of a new housing in some cases it's worth it due to the special significance of the shroud.
You can weld magnesium with Az92A it happens everyday especially in aerospace, Byrds right that fan is toast and not worth repairing.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hey Efren: Relax.
I am NOT GOING TO RE-SELL this cracked fan shroud after epoxy repairs on it...I am using it for LAMP SHADE like as mentioned above.

Like I said I will not use any "repaired" fan shrouds to put on ENGINES - I know better than that - I am mechanic on Porsche engines for years and I know what is used or what NOT to use.
I only mentioned when doing some marine tex epoxy repairs are safer method such as targa arms (fixed/stationary component) but putting fan shroud on any engine with epoxy repairs is a big NO NO! And also, as mentioned above doing some epoxy repair on one of other cracked fan shrouds was used for ART purpose after painting it nicely as a table décor.

I will never ever sell any previously "epoxy repairs" shrouds - Like I said I am using this cracked fan shroud for a LAMP shade as an art purpose - that is all.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
Welding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
You can weld magnesium with Az92A it happens everyday especially in aerospace, Byrds right that fan is toast and not worth repairing.
You can weld magnesium. It is a process. I myself didn't know it was possible but searched it and one uses a tig welder . All recommend having sand and purple k fire extinguisher on standby. As mentioned aerospace does this all the time. You learn everyday. Goodluck with the office art Arad. Thanks Rob.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Oh my goodness I weld 4 or 5 of these a week.. Those that say they can't be welded are completely wrong. The use of inert gas while welding does not allow for the magnesium to start on fire..

I have taught welding for 20 years and am 1 of 3 national trainer's for welding educators along with my business which I weld as you can tell and previous to this I was welding in the Aviation world..

Not bragging just saying I am not arm chair QB ing this.

Great buy. Happy fixing.

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 12-12-2019, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
Oh my goodness I weld 4 or 5 of these a week.. Those that say they can't be welded are completely wrong. The use of inert gas while welding does not allow for the magnesium to start on fire..

I have taught welding for 20 years and am 1 of 3 national trainer's for welding educators along with my business which I weld as you can tell and previous to this I was welding in the Aviation world..

Not bragging just saying I am not arm chair QB ing this.

Great buy. Happy fixing.
I had no idea there are more than welding info. at OTHER SIDE of the FENCE in the welder's world...
What I did was based when researching on websites here and there and was advised against any repairs on magnesium metal that are fire hazards if using wrong kind of welding equipment or tools.

So there are other guys who says they can be fixed by specific kind of welding tools as mentioned by Dpmulvan "You can weld magnesium with Az92A" - even thou I don't know or sure what does that letters/numbers "Az92A" mean ??.

And also, as mentioned by mgro1959 (Rob) "You can weld magnesium. It is a process" - Question is: it could be interpreted as takes a bit longer to weld on mags/aluminum than standard steel welding ??

As well as mentioned by mb911 after many years as a welder himself when dealing with aviation industry plane parts...very interesting to see how far those mags can be repaired with certain correct type of welding process and even skills too.

Hey, I am learning new here that anything is possible to fix or repair those mags parts if you have all the RIGHT SKILLS and TOOLS to make necessary repairs such as this fan shroud as seen in pics above but I am not going an extra mile just for that's beyond repairs but will be only using it for an art purpose - Lamp shade by simple epoxy fix and paint it

Last edited by ARad; 12-12-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Old 12-12-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
AirBorne!

Gotta see a pic of that lamp! I think your lamp switch, on/off, should be a turn signal indicator stalk. Go for it!
2008 997 C4S Silver, Kitty Cat, 1989 3.4 911 Silver Carrera, Erica, 1989 944S2 NASA GTS2, Iris, 1988 944 DE Car, Backdate 1975S to 1970s w 3.0 PMO - Roxanne, 1967 911 normal w 2.2s engine w S goodies, 89 VW Cabriolet - 2.0 conversion - sold and missed
Old 12-13-2019, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

MB911, I could use any advice you have on welding these. I have welded several of these, but it is always a battle because the cracks seem to corrode from the inside out. No matter how much I try to grind around the crack, i never get a quality weld. If you don't mind sharing, please PM me or give me a call at 817-932-5492.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

MB911/Ben has welded Mag fans, shrouds, and transmission cases for me and a lot of other people. If you have one of those "oh ****" moments, like when you tighten down a 3.2 manifold too far and crack off a piece, send it to Ben for a pro repair.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i know someone with a crack in their cheeks can JB weld help
Old 12-14-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Check out my website as I do offer the service but I don't quote a standard price.. Most fans cost 100-175 to fix correctly and same for housings/fan rings www.914-6werkshop.com . that said not all of them are worth fixing as to many cracks mean to much hassle to save the part for the average owner.. Each welds differently.. I start by cleaning the area to be welded by glass bead then I groove the crack out.. Then heat in an oven to 300 degrees then weld then grind and weld again if need be then finish grind and sand. One thing to note is that with mag castings there is always porosity and by FAA guidelines there is an acceptable allowances..

Not trying to be a commercial here as I have plenty of work (914-6 parts)just wanted to share..

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 12-14-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: