Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Heads up...another scammer Davep1

I posted this in Porsche Classifieds.

WTB- Center caps GP White w/ painted crest x2

I got a private message from: Davep1 who joined the forum three days ago.
Message: Meadows Danny in Virginia has it for sale. You can contact him through mdwsdanny@gmail.com. I got some parts from him, you can thank me later!

I emailed the address and asked for the part.
He replied:
Hello Jim,

Thanks for writing, I got a chance to check my email.
I have for sale the OEM 2 Grand Prix white center caps w/ painted crest in excellent condition.
In very good shape. OD of insert is 70.5mm.
Willing to let go for some extra cash. It's in perfect condition and came off my 79 911SC.

I will take a $120(shipped) . I am in Virginia and will ship via UPS. The asking price includes shipping and will take payment via PayPal gift.
What's your complete shipping address? Let me know if we have a deal .

Thanks,
Danny.
3515 Pleasant Ave
Norfolk, Virginia.

The address is some apartment in Norfolk.

I searched the classified forum for a Meadows Danny and there were no results.

I asked him to send me a picture and when I ran the exif the photo has a date of 2017.
I asked him to send another picture because the first one wasn't clear and he sent me another one right off of eBay.
The language and grammar have a scammer feel to them.
I would be happy to be proven wrong but just want to provide a heads up.

Last edited by jamdofal; 04-18-2020 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: edit title
Old 04-18-2020, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hello,

I recieved the same exact scammer flow,

Davep1

> Meadows Danny in Virginia has it for sale. You can contact him through mdwsdanny@gmail.com. I got some parts from him, you can thank me later!

mdwsdanny@gmail.com emailed me and this is a summary.

> The price he was selling his OEM parts to me was WAY to good to be true.

Thank you for posting this and confirming my suspicion.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I love the fact that this groupe of Pelicans keeps the participants up to date on scum like this .
Thanks
Ian
Hank Clarkson ,Craig Waldner ,Don Kean ,Leroy Axel Gains
Old 04-18-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think we need to get tough with scammers. Set a date, like Jan 1st, 2021. After that date, all scammers caught without a doubt will have all their fingers cut off the hand of their choice. The second time caught, there goes the other fingers. No chance for disability or any form of social aid. This is for phone, internet, and any other form of scammers. I bet the scamming would be cut 90% after the first few are publically punished for everyone to see the outcome.

I would say most are very savvy and computer literate, and could easily use their abilities for good. We just need to persuade them in the right direction for the good of the public.

My $0.02.
Yes I'm blue collar, all my white ones got dirty!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
@awbar

Thanks for confirming. I almost sent this guy money because in the past I have always had good luck trusting this community.

Fortunately, the guys response was somewhat "scammy" so I started to dig a little deeper. Hopefully that account will be deleted once the moderator sees the thread.

I guess we will all have to be more diligent in the future...shame.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think the $100.00 deposit on a card is the way to go . 1 year of clear and you get it back , card stays on file. Pelican gets to play with the deposit money
Hank Clarkson ,Craig Waldner ,Don Kean ,Leroy Axel Gains
Old 04-18-2020, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Definitely a scammer, I also got the same message to contact him about the parts I wanted. This was his response:

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for writing, I got a chance to check my email.

I have for sale the front strut housings and hubs in excellent condition.

In very good shape. 3.5" caliper spacing.

Willing to let go for some extra cash. It's in perfect condition and came off my 911.

I will take a $450(shipped) . I am in Virginia and will ship via UPS. The asking price includes shipping and will take payment via PayPal gift.

What's your complete shipping address? Let me know if we have a deal .

Thanks,

Danny.

3515 Pleasant Ave

Norfolk, Virginia.

After that, Gmail could no longer find his email address. Coincidentally, Davep1 had also sent me a second message with his phone number... After texting him, I was able to get a couple pics, but when I asked for a pic with today date in it, he said the parts were at his brothers house. He then said that I would have to pay for the parts or make a deposit before he could go to his brother house to get the picture I requested.

In every message he sent me, he asked for the shipping address, stated he would send me his PayPal, and asked if we had a deal. Never in all of my dealings on used parts has a real seller been that insistent and scripted.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

It's almost as though these dirtbags think they are working an actual job
Old 04-20-2020, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I just got ripped off on a headlight switch by the POS. I sent him $100 for it and now I have not heard back from him or anything.

His number he uses is (857) 316-4183

Be careful of anyone if you post a WTB these a**holes will contact you.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: