Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1of449

73 rs-t

Hello,

Does anyone recall which particular 1973 RS had these particular California license plates? Based on the DMV stickers, it was last registered in 1986. I’m hoping some old timer here can shed some light. I checked with DMV but they have no records dating back to the 80’s. I would love to reunite these license plates with the original car. I zoomed in on the tamper proof stickers and they both have the word “OFFICIAL” in light print. It is more visible under the letter “U” in “JUN”. I feel confident these are original issued DMV plates and not reproduction. Based on the condition, they were hardly used.

I know it’s a long shot but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Wow, nice find.

Would love to see those reunited. Probably a Los Angeles area car, but I do not recall it personally. Still have my plates from 1979.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1of449

Additional photo

Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Great find. If you can’t find your targeted buyer for these plates please consider me a buyer. They would work well on my tangerine 73 RS Touring clone.
Thanks and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2020, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Hello Anthony
I have a friend that has a REAL 1973 RS Touring.What do you want to reunite these to a real RS?
Have you checked with DMV to see if they a not being used? I think I may find some other
RS owners because I bought and sold 37 of them. Just need to back and get the names of the car's
that stayed in Ca.
Thanks George
Old 09-21-2020, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
1of449

I know it’s a long shot but I would like to reunite them with the original car that had them. Someone out there has to remember these unique plates. I checked with with DMV and the plates returned “No Record on File”. Based on the stickers, it was last registered in 1986.

Someone on the Early Registry thought the plates belonged to Jerry Gragos car but his plates were “73 RS-GT”. Close but different plates. His were also white, 1980’s plates.

These plates were issued sometime in the 70’s.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered
My guess is that it’s not for a real 73 RS. I’m guessing it’s for a RS clone based off on a 73 911T
Old 09-21-2020, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
1of449

Did people clone 73 RS cars in the 70’s?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejia_anthony View Post
Did people clone 73 RS cars in the 70’s?
Looks like sticker is ‘86 and there isn’t any underneath it and yes people pretty much start cloning cars the same year that they come out
Old 09-21-2020, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
1of449

Anything is possible. I can see why people would clone the RS the same year the car came out. It’s a beautiful and expensive car. However, the blue/yellow plates were no longer issued in 86. So, if it was a clone, it was cloned in the 70’s when DMV would still issued the blue/yellow plates.

FWIW, I use a blow dryer and remove the old sticker every year before applying the new one on my original black and yellow plates.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Anything is possible. I can see why people would clone the RS the same year the car came out. It’s a beautiful and expensive car. However, the blue/yellow plates were no longer issued in 86. So, if it was a clone, it was cloned in the 70’s when DMV would still issued the blue/yellow plates.

FWIW, I use a blow dryer and remove the old sticker every year before applying the new one on my original black and yellow plates.
I just looked it up and it said the blue with yellow plates were used from 1969-1986. Another article references the white with blue letter with optional sun starting in 1982 so minimally through 1981

Last edited by nathanbs; 09-21-2020 at 09:15 PM..
Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
1of449

Okay, thanks for that info. My brother had an 82 Datsun from new and it came with the blue/white plates. So, I agree maybe early 80’s.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

1of449

From the info I’m receiving, it looks like it is going to be from Jerry Gragos’ 73 Porsche. And yes, “NATHANBS“, from a cloned RS. You were correct on your hunch.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
From the info I’m receiving, it looks like it is going to be from Jerry Gragos’ 73 Porsche. And yes, “NATHANBS“, from a cloned RS. You were correct on your hunch.
Oh that’s great that it sounds like you tracked it down

Old 09-23-2020, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: