Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Cerakote Service

I'm been using Cerakote for years now as a significantly higher quality alternative to powder coating. I started with fans and housings but have expanded to doing door handles & wipers, A-arms & trailing arms, door frames, engine tin & oil tanks and wheels among other things. Anything that was painted by Porsche can and should be done in Cerakote which is far more durable than paint and is applied very thinly creating an elegant look silky feel in the hand. A few samples of my work, will post more as allowed. Have a ton of pics to post.

For fans and housings, I've developed 2 custom colors, a grey and a silver that are elegant but both pop in the engine bay. I have done other colors, just won't do red. I am able to fix many chips and cracks in fans and housings.

Here I did the fan and housing with white pinstripe, chain boxes and valve covers as well as all of the engine tin and the plating in yellow cadmium on this 993 RSR motor.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Damn, looks freakin awesome Shaun.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I use it a lot as well, nice
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera, Black
2006 Porsche Cayenne S, Black
Old 01-12-2021, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
looks fantastic.......
Old 01-12-2021, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

PM sent
Old 01-12-2021, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Shaun did my door handles and they are gorgeous! He's workin' on some other stuff for me too. His work is top shelf!
Old 01-12-2021, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

LOVE Cerakote ! Your stuff looks great @Shaun @ Tru6

Here are a couple of test pieces in a custom colour I had mixed "Electro Bronze"

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2021, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Care to share the electro bronze mix?
Old 01-12-2021, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Very nice is it air dried or baked?

Thanks, Rick
Old 01-13-2021, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterporsche View Post
Care to share the electro bronze mix?
I'll be happy to. We experimented with a few mixes so I can't remember exactly right now. I've got a few other parts going in next week so will get back to you then.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2021, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
That is nice. Is it durable like power coating. Thanks Rob.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgro1959 View Post
to some degree. cerakote chips a lot easier than regular pc
1967 911 (Burgundy Red) - #308439
1971 911 (PTS Black) - Built 3.6 Sleeper
1989 911 (Grand Prix White) - Cabriolet Bone Stock
Old 01-13-2021, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgro1959 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G50911 View Post
to some degree. cerakote chips a lot easier than regular pc
Cerakote doesn't chip, it's applied to thinly to actually chip. And is more durable than powder which of course does chip because it's so thick and is just plastic whereas Cerakote is ceramic paint.

Best way I can relate the durability of Cerakote is I had done an early front suspension: A-arms, torsion bars and steering rack crossmember. I had put the bars into the arms and leaned them against the wall in the shipping room, the crossmember in front of them. Days later I went to pack everything and picked up one of the A-arms, got it to chest level when the torsion bar fell out and hit the crossmember.

Didn't even leave a mark. You literally couldn't even see where the torsion bar hit the crossmember.

Powder would have chipped and cracked of course.

Surface prep is critical. Shooting Cerakote correctly is critical. It was developed for the military and is a far superior coating to powder.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephers View Post
Very nice is it air dried or baked?

Thanks, Rick
Rick, those samples above are all catalyzed heat cured. Heat cured is more durable than air cured. Where the air cured shines is in temperature performance. Heat cured performs up to about 600F depending on the color. Air cured can go up to 1800F though 1200F for most of the colors I use.

Air cured for SSIs and muffler below. Mix of air cured for rotors and CV joints (for color) and heat cured for a suspension for a 914-6.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I have had mixed results here in the UK. Magnesium stacks and fan housing are showing signs of breakdown.

Le Belgique ST build.
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=42628
Old 01-13-2021, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Again, it's all about surface prep and application. Mark Motshagen started doing fans and housings maybe 10 years ago and I never heard of anyone having an issue. And people would have certainly posted on Technical about it.

I have been doing fans and housings for 5 years and customers I did work for back then are still using me for other Cerakote jobs.

Got this pic from one in December, job is 3 years old and car is driven. I think the greatest testament is I have long plating and Cerakote relationships with Porsche Independents, one of which works on 959s. I would know immediately if a shop had a bad experience. It's all about surface prep and application.

Last edited by Shaun @ Tru6; 01-13-2021 at 01:52 PM..
Old 01-13-2021, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Have you done any Fuchs?

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 01-13-2021, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Nice work Shaun!
Old 01-13-2021, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I haven't Byron. I did these Torque Thrusts in a custom silver and Tungsten years ago but the only anodizing I'm doing these days is door frames and Turbo calipers. 2022 I'll get into Fuchs I think.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
Have you done any Fuchs?
i have and loads of other stuff

oh and i meant to say it scratches easier than powdercoating not “chip”.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: