Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Porsche Limited Slip Differential

Porsche Limited Slip Differential Was a Spare for my GT3 cup race car. Car was sold so I don't need to keep this spare. Will fit all 911 with G50 gearbox all 964, 993, and 996 and 997 race cars. Here is the e-bay link to ad with photos for your review.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330208784693&rd=1

If you have any further question e-mail me directly at RSanchez17@aol.com

Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Can I just install this in a 993 trans or do I have to tear the trans apart to set the ring-pinion depth?
Thanks
BMW R75/7
Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The ring and Pinion Depth is only adjusted when you replace the match set of a Ring & Pinion. If you are only replacing the Limited Slip Differential you would remove your ring off your open differential and install it on the Limited Slip Differential and reinstall back. You would not have to adjust pinion depth because you are using the same ring and you don't have to take gearbox apart to do that. I hope you understand the procedure I describe. Thanks for your question.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply...

So you dont have to tear into the trans if using the stock ring gear. I had no idea it was that easy. Do you think its worth while checking the tooth pattern after installing the LSD just to be 100% sure or is not even a issue to worry about.

Thanks again for the reply and I will think about your diff.
BMW R75/7
Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What I would do is remove the bearings and spacers of your open differential and install it on the limited slip the same way. That way the wear pattern of your bearings on the races are the same and also the shims behind bearing to maintain same space on differential. Thay way backlash and preload will be the same since you used same bearings, spaces, shims, etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Is this the spare one that you mentioned in the other auction? Other auction closed at $900-something so I was wondering what's different about this one to warrant the higher price?

Thanks,
Kevin
'87 Carrera- gone 7/25/14 but never forgotten
Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

This one if from a Factory GT3 Cup Car. It has very little use as compared to the street one that I had sold before. I was not going to sell this one since I might need it in future. But since I sold the Cup car and now sold the spare gearbox also I am considersing selling this one for now since I don't plan on a Cup car again. Going back to the older air cooled cars that are more economical to maintain myself in stead of having to pay big money to Porsche Motorsports for a refresh all the time.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Schleprock

Thanks for the feedback. Was just curious what differences one could expect- friction plates, fitment, etc. I see the diff. flange doesn't have the holes for the speedo ring pins like shown below, so it wouldn't suit my needs- my trans is an 87 and i'd like to keep the speedometer functioning since I have to drive the car on the street.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

reset ring and pinion

I believe you do have to check the position of the R&P if you change the carrier. If you do not check it you are praying the replacement carrier whether a limited slip or a replacement open carrier has exactly the same demensions and all bolt holes are in the exact same place as the old carrier. Big risk?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

for educational purposes only,

and this chart gives you a list of what is required to be adjusted if diff parts are replaced, and that includes the diff it's self,ie; Differential case!!

regards mike
Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
I believe you do have to check the position of the R&P if you change the carrier. If you do not check it you are praying the replacement carrier whether a limited slip or a replacement open carrier has exactly the same demensions and all bolt holes are in the exact same place as the old carrier. Big risk?
That is correct. The pinion depth will arguably be fine, but the ring gear should be reset. And I personally wouldn't crack into one of these and reuse the carrier bearings. It's cheap insurance to replace them while you are in there and an expensive nightmare if you have one go bad shortly after you install the LSD. There's a number of reputible shops that can install an LSD for you for not too much money...
1973 914 2.0 Bastard
1999 2.5RS Subaru NA Monster
Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Schleprock

I agree with the Mikes

These show the typical reasons to adjust the shim thicknesses

and procedure for adjusting taper bearing preload.

It seems many simply do a swap of the diff housings for the following reasons:

1. They assume the housings are similar dimensionally- probably not a good assumption

2. Based on experience from doing a number of diff housing replacements, the result of the shim adjustment result is usually the same (no change) because the diff housings are a precisely manufacturered component? Not likely.....

3. The reuse of the same tapered roller bearings. This ignores the dimensions fo the diff housing.

4. They don't want to remove the gearshafts to be able to properly check the preload, as the factory manual requires the pinion to be removed.

It seems to me adjusting the S1 + S2 preload is not too difficult and it's wise to check this measurement. Problem is, you need the pinion shaft to be removed from the trans. case in order to do the procedure........

My question is, what is the result of less-than-perfect imprecise bearing preload? Gear noise and wear? Doesn't seem like there would be catastrophic failure.

Last edited by KTL; 02-01-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Speedometer Drive

If I remeber correctly the three bolts that hold the LSD together in the street version have the extra pins on the end to drive speedometer. On the race LSD there are just three regular short flat end screws. Check on this because if you just use the three screws from the open differential with the drive pins on the LSD that sould do it.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Schleprock

I'll have to pull my open diff in the next few days and take a look at it, so I know what you're referring to. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: