Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Closed Thread

Venting - Buying on this board

I am pretty pissed off about a purchase that I had agreed to that the seller did not honor (sold it to the "next" person in line, because I did not respond to a second email from the seller within 24 hours. I was not aware of such dramatic timeframes to complete a purchase - I mean some of us don't have the luxury to check email, the boards and PM's every damn minute - what gives!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #1 (permalink)

Garage
Blame the buyers before you who jumped on a deal then didn't follow through. Happens all the time here.

The worst was the guy who had me cut a chunk out of a car for him and then decided he didn't want it. That guy is on my blacklist forever.

And, IMO, 24 hours is an eternity in the Internet age.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #2 (permalink)

to many people reply i'll take it and then dance the seller around and dont think
the seller might lose a sale to someone really interested
Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #3 (permalink)

yep 24 hours is too long. If I have some one else interested at full price and I dont here back in 24 hours its gone to them. Sorry.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #4 (permalink)
Mad Aussie Porsche nut

I agree it is getting worse Here.

I placed a WTB and I had a responce, some else jumps in said he would take it, dude P off and do your own searching. Luckly some of the other board members came on board and questioned events and the seller recognised I was first in line. This happens all the time and by people who have been on this board a long time as well.

Another buy - I had ageed to take about 6 items and asked for a price for shipping. The seller came back and said opps I sold it to someone else. He has not paid for it but when he does he can have it. What is that !!! It was the main item I was interested in and the other were just odds and sodds. man was I pissed ! He did come back and give me the remainder for a resonable price.

Maybe PP could develop some sort of "commitment to sell" system. Some money down as a commitment ???
Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #5 (permalink)

It's a two way street. When your selling you need to hit all your customers fast. It's amazing to me how fast now things slip down the board. Every day now there are three pages of new items for sale. I would say that if you say you'll buy something you should check for responses and pm's more often just as if your selling something you constantly check to see if your getting hits. Things on this site happen so quickly now. 24 hours and different time zones can seem a long time.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #6 (permalink)

Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
[rant]

24 hours... WTF even eBay *****s get more than that. Are you guys saying that the people on this board deserve less? Personally, I think if you don't give them at least 5 days to communicate and pay you are a poor seller. Just because some of you guys spend your life here doesn't mean the rest of us have the time to watch the board all day and night... I work two jobs and still have enough time to be marginally courteous to those I sell to by allowing them enough time to mull it over. I would hope the same gets extended to me, but, like always, it is your own decision as to how you treat others and the internet is not any different. Don't let the internet change how you treat people just because it is 'anonymous'... I mean really... what does it actually cost you?

[/rant]

Best regards,

michael

PS. 962 posts.. yum My favorite car ever...
Old 06-15-2008, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #7 (permalink)
GAFB

Got in writing "You definitely have dibs, please send photos to confirm what it is you need" from a longtime poster here, then later in the week when I sent photos to confirm what it is I needed, I get "Oh yeah, sold that to someone else already, had lots of requests for that, cash talks, gee sorry kthxbai".

Dick move, and I am still steamed over it. I bend over backwards to be a good seller here, have done so for years, and that's my payback. Thanks, thanks a fuc$#@% lot...
Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #8 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Personally, I see this board as a full time 'buy it now' style of auction...if I commit to a purchase I pay within minutes of acceptance from the seller. Just like 'buy it now' time is of the essence and it's a seamless transaction among friends that way....

I can think of only one transaction in the last 6 months where I committed to buy, called my machine shop, found out that was not the part I needed and quickly emailed the seller and made the announcement on his thread that I had made a mistake....the part quickly sold to the next bidder....

These types of transactions are a two way street and many times as quick as the trading floor on Wall Street, where opportunity is fleeting....that being said, any seller who doesn't honor his committment after a meeting of the minds has occured and payment has been made must be called out publicly, as a warning to other members....but it's never happened to me personally...
Old 06-16-2008, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #9 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Money talks, bull$hit walks.

Whenever I sell stuff, I typically say it goes to the first person whose money I get. I don't "hold" stuff. Easier/simpler.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-16-2008, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #10 (permalink)

There are no clear rules stating on how quickly tranactions are to be conducted on this board, really like the wild west, that's why you see so much gun slinging. Ebay has pretty clear rules about time frames and people usually abide by them. I personally get way to many people who commit to transaction but never follow through. Perhaps as a community we can propose a set of good "sportsmans" rules that we would agree to be bound by, should provide a lively debate if nothing else
Phil
Old 06-16-2008, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #11 (permalink)

Just a question. How reliable is the posting time? What time is it, CA time?

I wonder if this is any different than classified ads in the news paper. You advertise a widget, get three calls. Maybe the first shows up with the $ maybe they don't, so what do you tell the other two callers. What I say is "got somebody interested, I live at *^(hoh()*GY, come with the money and its yours.

With paypal, you can pay quickly. Maybe that should be the tie breaker.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #12 (permalink)

Garage
Well I usually give some time to respond, but, dibs, I'm interested, send me some pictures etc does not constitute 'buying'. You may not be on here 24 hours a day, but if you want to buy something, and say so, then follow it up right away. Or tell the seller that you may not be able to respond right away because you may not be on for a while. Then they can decide right away whether or not to tell you they can't wait.

I know I lost a big sale because a member said they wanted my item, then backed out after a couple of days as they said they couldn't raise the money, meanwhile I had told another party the items were no longer available, so he went and found them else where.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What about details of the item for sale?

Many many times I have lost a purchase by informing the seller I will purchase the item once I get details to verify that the part is exactly what I need in exactly the condition I need.
The item is sold to someone else and my questions go unanswered.

Am I to assume the part was misrepresented or the seller is just lazy/rude?

No one should be in that big of a hurry to sell an item. If a buyer passes because you simply re-list it. What's the big deal?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
What about details of the item for sale?

Many many times I have lost a purchase by informing the seller I will purchase the item once I get details to verify that the part is exactly what I need in exactly the condition I need.
The item is sold to someone else and my questions go unanswered.

Am I to assume the part was misrepresented or the seller is just lazy/rude?

No one should be in that big of a hurry to sell an item. If a buyer passes because you simply re-list it. What's the big deal?

I guess in that case the other buyer didn't make those stipulations, or ask for further information. A lot of time it doesn't matter to the seller, but on some items that are in high demand there will always be a few buyers who are willing to take a risk in order to try to pickup a rare item.

After being burned a few times I will always try to provide additional info if asked, but if the first person posting says he'll take it IF, and the second says I''ll take it, how do I pay, then only one person has actually made an offer to purchase.

It's always a difficult balance between the seller wanting to sell, and the buyer wanting to make sure that he is getting what he expects.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to MKEDF
Exclamation Pelican´s unique

So far i have read arguments about why not to hold to an item..

Arguments why to sell and serve money first...

But i have not heard any one talking about what makes this board unique...

Yeap...you guys behind that keyboard...i mean business is about money no doubt...

but any way us buyers finding an used item at your garage that we so desperately are looking for and find it cheap!!...

Also there are many guys here that have a thumbs up from all of us for knowing how to deal with those tiny issues involved on selling an item..

So finally it is not about money, but how you treat your buyers and how you make business here, what makes pelican used parts board unique is the way business are done...

Not an auction, not a new parts forum...but an unique friends board allways ready to give you what you desperately look for...not only money, but advice, friendship, and great relationships...

Dont you forget that...okay???

MiCk..
2001 Peugeot 406 Pinifarina Coupe, 2001 325 I (E46), 2000 328 I (E46)
Never Bought Audi or Cooper too expensive for what you get
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #16 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Yep, it's not getting any better.
The "Vultures" will jump in when you post a WTB; they reply to the seller before you have a chance to make contact.
That happens a lot!
Or, you'll get a reply and when you ask for specific details or pictures, you'll get no answer or some evasive BS.
Some people have no integrity.
Basic rule:
If the seller doesn't provide details or pictures as requested, walk away.
And:
Sellers, what's the hurry?
After the initial reply, give a buyer a couple days to firm up the deal.
Yikes............
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #17 (permalink)

Garage
It's a very grey area. I too look at most items as a Buy-it-Now. If I want it I commit to buy it, ask for payment terms and pay in short order. If I'm selling I respond quickly and will give priority to the guy who says "I'll take it." I expect payment via PayPal quickly or a confirmation of a check/money order as well.

Set-up your for sale items to automatically e-mail when there is a response and do the same for PM's if you do not frequent the board often.

Now, how long is too long? Anything over 24 hours is dead in my book. If you make a gesture to buy or sell you need to follow through in a reasonable amount of time. In todays technology age 24 hours is more than a reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #18 (permalink)

So far I have had extremely good fortune with purchases only here on the board. When I am lucky enough to see something I need offered for sale I quickly respond with an (my) email or phone number. I usually hear back quickly. I make a decision and usually the seller accepts my word for the commitment. I send a check and they send me the parts. I would not expect any seller to wait even 24 hours for me to make up my mind. If I don't know what I need and have to delay the decision, I simply deserve to miss out sometimes. This is for all the satisfied buyers who remain silent and understand the dynamics of purchasing here.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #19 (permalink)

To update an old saying:

"Instant cash (i.e. Paypal) talks, BS walks"
Old 06-16-2008, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #20 (permalink)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: