Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

15 x Wide BBS

Ok these have literally been sitting in my parents storage spacer for 25 years. They came with my 930, which my father purchase nearly new in 84 (from an importer). He didn't like the way the steering felt with the steamrollers on so immediately switched to the Fuchs.

I think these are 15x11 and 15x9, they are most defiantly the standard bbs wheels that came with 930s of the era. They may be even a touch wider. I think they are wearing 345 and 255 tires. Rest assured they will fit a factory widebody car and they are really wide .

I had my brother snap a few pics, as the wheels are in Indiana and I live in TX. The wheels likely have less than 1000 miles on them (really). However, I looked at them last year and recall that there was some surface corrosion on the wheel outers from simply sitting.

Basically Lets say the rims will need refinishing unless they are strictly for a race car. I just cant comment much on the cosmetic condition because they are 1000 miles from me. I am 100% confident that they are nearly new structurally. I will try to get some better picts from my brother but am advertising these as needing refinishing.

OK now for the price: I told my brother I would split whatever many I can get for these if he will have the tires dismounted and ship them to the buyer. I am thinking 800 + shipping but will entertain offers. Will consider trade for anything I can use for my 930 as well.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

BBS wheels

Hi,
I'm very interested in the BBS wheels and please put me at the top of the list. I need to get some measurements off the wheel so I can determine if these wheels have the backspacing i need. Please give me a call. I sent you a PM with the phone number.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What arre you interested in for your 930??? I'm interested in your wheels & tires..

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Guys, couple things.

My brother made no attempt to clean the wheels. That picture is taken precisely where they have sat for 25 years. They may clean up ok. Mayoperf I will give you a call tomarrow. It may be hard to get reliable measurments from my non measurment inclined brother, but I can try.

Racer.....whatcha got . My car is almost completely stock. Got any k27s or intercoolers? I can add cash for the right item.

Lastly I did a search for 15in bbs and I saw that there were RS and ET versions. These look alot more like the ET, which are more desireable I presume. I have no Idea though, any insight is appreciated from anyone.

Thanks
Aaron
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey, Aaron;

I'll buy these if Ed (Mayo) doesn't get them.
'95 RS --SOLD
'77 930 Steel Slantnose "Wedgie"
'57 Speedster planter
Breeding family of Volvo/ BMW Wife + kid mobiles
'Rib-Breaker' '01 CRG 125 shifter kart
Aprilia RS50-weedeater with fairing
Old 09-21-2010, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

wheels

Too late, but put me third please
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ok guys lots of interest here and by PM, Mayoperf was first so Ill try to work out something with him first. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Mayo, you didnt include your number in the PM. I am going to have a hard time getting decent measure ments from my brother. I am going to have him look to see if there are any offset markings on the wheels.

Note: planning on dismounting and discarding tires R. Regan was the president when they were manufactured.

Last edited by aschen; 09-21-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Yep, I've done that!

Garage
As in my PM, I will take the 'Republican' tires on the rims so no need to dismount and no need for measurements I will take them as-is.
86' 944 SPEC Car 'In Process' 2013 Debut
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I am going to give Mayoperf 1 day to respond and then will go the next in line

I was searching around and saw a siimilar set of wheels. The following warnig was given. Does this sound right to everybody? Can I have the tires dismounted at a tire store? A couple people have offered to but with the tires. I cannot immagine it makes sense to ship 100+ lbs of dry rotted rubber however.

Quote:
I've got the old style magnesium center BBS motorsport wheels exactly like those on an old BMW.
You can't use a tire machine to mount and dismount the tires on those rims because the thin gauge lightweight spun aluminum barrels will bend and be ruined.
Like most people I got real sick of unbolting, seperating, and rebuilding those rims while a big tire is on them after the third set of tires...
Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The centers you have can be used to make 15, 16, or 17" wheels. The 15" shells are 'flat' - there is no valley for the bead to drop into when mounting or dismounting tires. You have to assemble the wheels around the tires, and remove them the same way - a real PITA.
There is an advantage - the 15" BBS wheels like you have will easily clear a Turbo caliper and rotor, unlike most 15's.
The tires make nice shipping protectors - just cover the centers with heavy cardboard.

I will also take the wheels with tires on them - won't be too awful expensive from Indiana to Oklahoma. Please remember that I was the first to post with a comittment to buy, at 6:36 AM
'95 RS --SOLD
'57 Speedster planter

Last edited by hesaputz; 09-21-2010 at 04:16 PM..
Old 09-21-2010, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

That warning is BS, I run 32 year old thin race rim halves and have no issues.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Right; the problem isn't the thin shells, it's that they're flat. I think you can wrestle the tires onto narrower wheels, but 9 and 11 x 15's are hopeless.
Aaron, you could encourage your brother to disassemble them, but it's a couple of hours cursing and getting greasy- but the new owner, whoever it is, is very likely to be buying new bolts and seals anyway.
'95 RS --SOLD
'57 Speedster planter
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

There is a small lip the tire bead pops over.

You can NOT dismount or mount tires on those rims on a tire machine or the rim half will bend.
Take the wheels to a tire shop and just have them squeeze and break the beads, and nothing else.

Then take them home and remove all the bolts and take them apart.

The rims have to be rebuilt around the tire and then you inflate the tire to pop the beads over the lip and seat them.
Then have them balanced and you're done.

Your rims are in excellent shape. The magnesium centers when left outside usually corrode diwn where the halves are bolted to the center and become a liability if used in that condition.
Yours are almost like new and just dirty. The aluminum halves will polish up REALLY shiny if you want.

Those BBS motorsport rims were around 2 grand each 20 years ago and they are worth alot of money still.
They are the lightest rim ever made for your car.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Please give me a call at 817-540-4939.
Ask for Steve or David. I don't know if you were not getting my PM so I will try this way.
Thanks
David
Old 09-25-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'll trade you one of my Duck Tail for the wheels
Old 09-25-2010, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hey, Aaron - If possible, could you keep me up to date on these? I'm not certain where I stand in line, but I'm sure that I was first to post a comittment to buy your wheels. I'm looking at another set tomorrow around noon, and I don't want to get comitted to an extra set.

'95 RS --SOLD
'57 Speedster planter
Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: