Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
That is great Mike,
Now post a picture of that engine you've been building installed in the car and running....
How much damage is acceptable for a piston?

Last edited by timmy2; 06-22-2013 at 12:04 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Summer is here and I know people are starting to plan their fall/winter builds already.
If you think a new engine harness is needed, now is a good time to order one.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Hcarraro Send a message via Yahoo to Hcarraro
Dennis,

Check your spam folder. I sent you an email a few days ago. I have a 2.7 liter harness to send you. It isn't in the best of shape. The previous owner cut the portion that goes to the starter about a foot from the shroud.

PM me with your mailing address if you want it. I can also send you pictures of what I have.

Thanks,

Henry
Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Hi Henry,
Sent you a PM
Seems like since hotmail has been "upgraded" a lot of mail doesn't make it to me..,
To all:
An alternate email is
powell3080@gmail.com

Last edited by timmy2; 06-22-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Another thank you is in order.
Henry (Hcarraro) has sent me a '74 harness to use as a model.

Last edited by timmy2; 06-24-2013 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Correct the year
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Hcarraro Send a message via Yahoo to Hcarraro
Welcome. Hope you can use it as a pattern. By the way, it is a 2.7 liter engine harness from a 1974 CIS.

Henry
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Just cloned the '84-'86 engine harness. I am using black vinyl wire tubing instead of the ugly beige factory color that turns dark brown when it gets warm. Just waiting for the special oil sender connectors to arrive this week and I'll post a picture of it.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Here's a couple of pics of a custom '77 harness I built for a carbed engine yesterday, with separate CDI harness. No CIS wiring makes them look real clean!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Parts finally arrived to finish up the '86 Harness clone that Jomalkay was so gracious to lend to me.
His is going back to him undisturbed to serve another day and I can now make '84 to '86 Engine Harnesses for those that need them.
If anyone has the injector harness they are willing to send me, I would like to try to clone those as well.
I think it looks better in black than the beige that ages and discolors that Porsche uses.
What do you guys think?
Here's a picture of the finished product:

Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Still looking for an '87-'89 engine harness to clone and then everything will be covered.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Another Big "Thank You" is in order to NoYouRelax for sending me his harness to study and copy.

Unfortunately the harness he sent me was one he had purchased used, and it was in pretty bad shape with missing terminals, poor splices, missing rubber pieces, corrosion, brittle wires and coverings etc.
I know he was hoping to have a useable harness for the future, but I have advised him not to use it as is. Hopefully he can get is money back from whomever he bought it from.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
New rubber product

Now available,

'84-'86 Special Rubber Harness 10" long sleeve with molded grommet and mounting clamp ridges just like the factory ones.
I don't believe these are available anywhere separately from the harness.

$20 each + shipping.

Picture:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
An example of what can be wrong with your harness after 30+ years:
(This is an assessment of one that was sent to me)

1. Oil pressure sender wire cut and poor repair that has failed near 14 pin connector. Also the connector for the sender terminal is missing.
2. Yellow/Blue wire at starter cut, spliced with butt splice and not connected to any terminal connector.
3. Grommet for shroud entry to Alternator missing.
4. Blower motor connector has separated from wire.
5. 2 Protective rubber caps for alternator connections are missing or unusable due to deterioration.
6. Most vinyl protective sheathing is brittle and cracking.
7. multiple areas with corrosion or oxidation evident at wire connectors. (Blue on copper, white/black on silver terminals)
8. Distributor "green wire" is discolored brown and brittle.
9. Rubber boots on WUR and AAR timer Jr. connectors are cracked and failing.
10. Reverse switch terminal pins have been re-soldered and the soldering job is poor with bare un-insulated wires visible.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Bump for new pricing in first post. Added Carrera harness price and lowered CIS harness price. (I've been selling them for less than the posted price anyways!)

Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

free bump for you.
Since I do my auto electrics myself, I appreciate the apparent very high quality of the job you do. Congartulations!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
free bump for you.
Since I do my auto electrics myself, I appreciate the apparent very high quality of the job you do. Congartulations!
Thanks, I enjoy making these for my fellow Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
A quick thanks to 3 awesome members here at Pelican that have sent me their harnesses to clone.
I now have a '77 CIS, an '89 turbo and a '73 CIS added to my list of harnesses I can build without needing your old one.

All I need now is an '87-'89 NA and a '74-'75 and I will have almost everything covered except the '76-'86 turbo harnesses.
This forum rocks!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Hidden trouble....

Found this under the wrap in a harness that was sent to me to clone.
I looked under the factory wrap near the starter as it looked a little "funky".
The hole close to the tape in the pictures is of the main alternator to starter power wire. It is cut and missing wire and has corroded green. Not a good situation!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
83 Targa

Garage
Dennis knows harnesses!...

Dennis, sorry my '83 harness did no work for a good template for you. Hopefully you got another donor for the efforts. Thanks for the assessment of my harness. I returned it and received a refund by an upstanding P car guy here.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Thanks NoYouRelax, I'm happy it worked out well for you.
The pictures a couple of posts back are of someone else's harness that was sent to me to take a look at.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: