Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Buyer payment recommendation for out of your area purchases

Here is my simple solution after losing my $2000+ payment to a very bad seller:

My buyer recommendation for out of your area purchase situations for this website.

1. Most people are honorable, but ALWAYS behave or act like the buyer /seller could get sick, ends up in the hospital or might not be so honorable.

2. Pay with PayPal and DO NOT use the "gift" option.

3. Link your PayPal account with a credit card and use the credit card to cover your PayPal payment (not your bank account). This will give you 2nd layer protection WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY, if (or when) PayPal bails out.

Please add your constructive ideas to this thread for how to protect the buyer for this website.

And remember that Pelican is still a great place for good people buying & selling Porsche parts.

Regards, Tom

PS: My bad experience:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/692937-fs-pair-gt3-seats-new-post.html

Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Exotic Vehicles are here

Garage
Tom, Sorry to hear this :-(

I though PayPal will return your money in case where item has not been delivered...

Last edited by 1-ev.com; 08-29-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
Get the seller to invoice you through paypal. Super easy and then they are taking an active roll in the transaction. Get them to write a description in the space provided so they are again actively taking a roll in the transaction. Paypal will be more likely to assist you if the deal goes bad. Echo your comment as to not gifting. This is for family and friends as it states. For the 3.8% just add it to the total. You are at least protecting yourself. Sorry to hear this . One would think you have legal recourse as this would certainly be a felony. GoodLuck Thanks rob
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Never pay through your bank account when paying for items, least amount of protection even though Paypal claims this. Always use a credit linked through paypal to pay for any items, best protection to go against paypal. PS buyers that choose not to insure an item, and it comes lost or damaged can charge you back, even though its not the sellers fault. Happened to me here and I ended eating the costs and my items...

Looking for a 996 Silver Cab 2002-2004
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would never send any substantial sum (more than couple hundred bucks say) without talking to the person on the phone. If they sound untrustworthy or like a BS artist I wouldn't send them anything. you can't tell that stuff by email. I've bought lots of stuff without seeing it in person (including 2 cars and hundreds of parts) and only got ripped off once, and that was for $50 part on ebay.

Last edited by schumicat; 08-29-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Always use Paypal especially if you have any doubt.
Don't send the money through Paypal as a gift ever...

I've taken checks for items and sent checks as well. Always wait for them to clear or check with others that have dealt with the buyer/seller.

I always ship insured with signature confirmation required.

Haven't had a problem with anyone on this site yet.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

dont make the mistake of trusting someone and sending parts to a longtime member without full payment in advance. yea, i did it. i did it probably 25 times and mailed the part when they said payment was on the way. dont trust anyone anymore unless u know them personally and have a history. dont be the first guy that a good member rips off...good idea on this thread.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I always use PayPal and CC. I always note what the payment is for [tho the idea of the seller billing sounds better]. I do NOT like making the deal by voice. Nice as that may be it allows the question of what the agreement was. Have it in writing or it does not exist. If someone insists on voice only I move on.

For checking out potential sellers, what is their history here? If it is limited or questionable, do a Google. Sometimes this is quite revealing. More than once this saved me from grief.

GL

JR
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Met this guy in person........

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecarlover View Post
dont make the mistake of trusting someone and sending parts to a longtime member without full payment in advance. yea, i did it. i did it probably 25 times and mailed the part when they said payment was on the way. dont trust anyone anymore unless u know them personally and have a history. dont be the first guy that a good member rips off...good idea on this thread.
I bought something from this guy 'Mark' but went to pick it up from his home. It was not just an ordinary house, it was in a very expensive and affluent neighborhood outside Philly. He's a young professional (engineer) and involved in several car projects at that time. But one thing I noticed from this fellow was his weird behavior of not answering phone calls, messages, and emails. After I bought the part, I tried to contact him several times but to no avail. How could a guy like him fall in this situation? Most people in this community are good and trustworthy.

Tony
Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with some of the comments here - I prefer to use PayPal and pay with a credit card only - for double protection. I've only ever had two credit card disputes (both outside of PayPal) and both times my bank (USAA) stepped up and supported me and reversed the charges.

One other note based on my limited business law classes - when you pay by PayPal the notes you send with the payment form a written legal contract with the seller. So, in the notes I always write out the details of the purchase - what is being purchased (list all items), what is the condition (used, like-new, new), is shipping included in the price, is shipping insurance included in the price, etc. You don't have a ton of room in the notes, but you have enough to describe what the deal is and what you are expecting you are paying for. I think this adds a little more protection because if there is a dispute this removes some ambiguity.

Kirk

Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: