Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Service Offered: H1 Headlight Restoration

I've just completed restoring several sets of H1's and I'm ready to get started on another batch. Here are some pictures of a restored set and the steps taken to restore them

• Reflectors - Fully refurbished: stripped, copper plated, nickel plated, polished, layer of vapor deposited aluminum, silica layer. Why Aluminum?
  • Housings - media blasted, painted
  • Lenses - New Bosch
  • Chrome Trim Rings - New
  • Adjustment Screws - mounted with nylon lock nuts
  • Fender Mounting Screws - New
  • Lens Gaskets - New
  • Mounting Gaskets - New
  • Adjustment Instruction Labels - Reproductions
  • Bulbs - New, 55w & 100w
  • Bench Tested

The cost is your core plus $600 per headlamp. Not cheap, but there is substantial cost involved in the replating of the reflectors. When the lamps are done they are bright and right: bright for driving and right for concours.

I'm getting ready to send out a batch of reflectors for replating so let me know if you're interested in having some redone.

Thanks,
John

“Restoring genuine original lighting with care”
John Audette - Porsche Lighting Anorak
Concours Restoration of SWB/LWB Lights - 911 LEDs
AudetteCollection.com. audette-collection.myshopify.com

Last edited by jaudette3; 01-23-2015 at 12:54 PM..
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very nice.
Good thing I only have a set of H4's
Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Nice lights John.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As I mentioned I seem to be settling into a cycle of doing H1 restorations in batches, 2-3 a year. It seems to be the most efficient way to work with the process which nvolves two different platers. In any event, I'm preparing a batch to go out in the next week or two so the timing is good if you have a set you would like restored. I'm confident they will be complete in plenty of time for next years driving season.

Thanks,
John

Old 11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wish I had the money. I need a set I just got done real bad. they were on a car that had a fire. I have everything new but I need the reflectors done over.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 930 and I have a set of H4's that the reflectors need to be plated. Is this something that you can do and what would the cost be?

Thanks in advance.

Brendon

here's a pic of the car

Before and after.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brendon...

Here's more detail on what is involved with the replating of the reflectors, sometimes called resilvering:

"Resilvering" of Reflectors
This is the major expense of the restoration process. Resilvering is actually a misnomer as the modern process for many years now has used vapor deposited aluminum rather than silver. The reflectors are first sent to a plating shop where they are stripped to base metal. This is followed by a base layer of copper plating, polishing and a layer of nickel and polishing. Next the reflectors are sent to a company that works mainly with scientific instruments. There a layer of vapor deposited aluminum is applied followed by a protective silica layer. The result are brilliantly luminous reflectors that don't tarnish or otherwise degrade.

~ Link to why vapor deposited aluminum is used rather than chrome ~

I'm preparing to send a batch to the plater - I can include yours if you like. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you more information.

Thanks,
John

P.S. Congratulations on the car - nice rescue!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Not Royce

Garage
very nice service, I will have to contact you in the near future for having my set restored.

would you consider changing the price if I send in the lenses(brand new) along the core?

Web photo portfolio: www.Royze.jp
RWB Japan/Middle-East representative
Old 11-07-2014, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Royce...

Yes, I can give you a $180.00 credit for the lenses so your cost would be $1,020 plus shipping.

Cheers,
John

Old 11-07-2014, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Aluminum vs. Chrome Reflectors

I'm sometimes asked why I go to all the trouble to have the reflectors restored with vapor deposited aluminum as opposed to simply chroming them. Chroming is a lot simpler as the process can be done a single plater as opposed to aluminum which requires having the reflectors prepared by one plater - copper -> nickel -> polishing - then sent to a second plater for the vapor deposited aluminum process. Also, it's much cheaper to just chrome plate them and admittedly the aluminum process is expensive.

The reason? Chrome just doesn't work very well. Using silver as the standard for reflectivity, vapor deposited aluminum is 95.6% as reflective as silver, while chrome is 63.5% as reflective as silver. You lose almost 1/3 of the light with chrome as opposed to aluminum. Here are the numbers:

Reflectance Comparison
Silver: .95512 = 100%
Aluminum: .91320 = 95.6%
Chrome: .60604 = 63.5%

Source:
Refractive Index
Refractive index of Chromium (Cr) - Rakic

The central point of H1's is their shear brilliance. When done right they are flame throwers. It kind of defeats the purpose to decrease the light by a third with chrome plating. My goal is to restore H1's to as high a level as possible and vapor deposited aluminum, the process used by all modern automotive manufacturers, is the best way to go at this time.

Cheers,
John

Old 01-23-2015, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

FS: Immediately Available Set of Restored H1's

This set is ready to go - typical full restoration with rechromed original chrome trim rings, new screws and new Bosch lenses with lettering on the inside of the glass.

$1,650.00 + shipping.

Thanks,
John

Old 01-23-2015, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Can you supply the adjustment screws for H4?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Hi my H4 is missing the clips the go around the chrome rings, and I am missing the s type retaining piece which accepts the long screw, can you please help thanks

Alex

Last edited by Alex973; 03-08-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex973 View Post
Hi my H4 is missing the clips the go around the chrome rings, and I am missing the s type retaining piece which accepts the long screw, can you please help thanks
PM sent.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: