Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
That Guy

Garage
Forgot to take pictures of everything installed... but Shaun did a fantastic job on replating my G50 spring plates and end covers in Zinc.

Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
My God Frank, I am so sorry to see that! But so glad you are OK, that's what's important!!!

Send me everything, I'll make it all look like this.

Hey..these parts look familiar. Especially those extra long rear studs.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
Forgot to take pictures of everything installed... but Shaun did a fantastic job on replating my G50 spring plates and end covers in Zinc.

Thank you Jon, I was very happy with how parts turned out, glad you like them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
Hey..these parts look familiar. Especially those extra long rear studs.

Same with all of your stuff Trent, some of my best work, have to get it up at the web site and your car on the Customer Cars page someday.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Cleaning, Tumbling, Plating, Polishing, Powder Coating Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by A horse with no name View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Speaking as a repeat customer of Shaun's. He is the only one I would consider using for coating services, and I'm in CA. I have come to have a baseline of his level of quality and customer service to compare others on. Needless to say, after learning the hard and expensive way here recently since I did not take the two flipping minutes to send him an email to ask if he even provided a particular refurbishment service, which to my chagrin he does. What was I thinking?!? So do not make my mistake. I sent it to another shop and I am and will be regretting that decision.

Just ask him about his services before going somewhere else. What is worst he could say? "Sorry I don't do that" Highly unlikely...

Bottom line, go with Shaun at Tru6 or at the very least ask him first !!!!

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 09-03-2017 at 11:54 PM..
Old 09-03-2017, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Shaun,

I am looking at windshield / rear window trim for my '80 Targa (the window seals are toast and need to be replaced). What are the advantages / disadvantages of refinishing with Cerakote as opposed to just buying new trim pieces? How close would they be in appearance? I am more concerned with durability than cost, but only to a certain point!

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
Speaking as a repeat customer of Shaun's. He is the only one I would consider using for coating services, and I'm in CA. I have come to have a baseline of his level of quality and customer service to compare others on. Needless to say, after learning the hard and expensive way here recently since I did not take the two flipping minutes to send him an email to ask if he even provided a particular refurbishment service, which to my chagrin he does. What was I thinking?!? So do not make my mistake. I sent it to another shop and I am and will be regretting that decision.

Just ask him about his services before going somewhere else. What is worst he could say? "Sorry I don't do that" Highly unlikely...

Bottom line, go with Shaun at Tru6 or at the very least ask him first !!!!
Thank you Trev, again, sorry to hear about your experience, I do my best to make sure every customer's expectations are met or better, exceeded when they unpack their parts.

My web site isn't done yet, will be in about 3 weeks when I get more pics up, but it shows most of what I do. tru-6.com
Old 09-04-2017, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM View Post
Shaun,

I am looking at windshield / rear window trim for my '80 Targa (the window seals are toast and need to be replaced). What are the advantages / disadvantages of refinishing with Cerakote as opposed to just buying new trim pieces? How close would they be in appearance? I am more concerned with durability than cost, but only to a certain point!

Thanks,
Hi Dru! Buying new means you don't have to ship them to me. This means you both don't have to be very careful taking them off, though I've found the wire-type PVC cutters work great for pulling out trim, and you don't have to pack them very carefully. You probably know that this trim bends just by looking at it with a stern glance.

Cerakote has a pencil test hardness of 9H, the hardest on the scale which would have to be as hard or harder than the paint Porsche uses.

Here is my current version of black for door handles and trim.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Is that right? 9H? I think powder coat is like 4H?

Time to start Cerakoting chassis...
Old 09-04-2017, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Cleaning, Tumbling, Plating, Polishing, Powder Coating Service

Shaun,
I recently purchased a long hood latch from you and was very pleased with the quality of the finish. I had no idea of the scope of your business. Currently in process of turbo "special" bare metal build. In Arizona but will certainly be in touch and sending you a boat load of metal bits. Keep up the fine work!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Hi Dru! Buying new means you don't have to ship them to me. This means you both don't have to be very careful taking them off, though I've found the wire-type PVC cutters work great for pulling out trim, and you don't have to pack them very carefully. You probably know that this trim bends just by looking at it with a stern glance.

Cerakote has a pencil test hardness of 9H, the hardest on the scale which would have to be as hard or harder than the paint Porsche uses.
I'm kinda thick sometimes, so please excuse that. Do you sell "new" trim with Cerakote? If so, at what cost?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Dru, your best bet is probably to buy new from Porsche and leave it at that.

I am reanodizing 2 sets in black for a pair of early Turbos but that's a special case. Porsche went to paint at some point (not sure when) over black anodizing.

Last edited by Shaun @ Tru6; 09-04-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Old 09-04-2017, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Is that right? 9H? I think powder coat is like 4H?

Time to start Cerakoting chassis...
The black is Trem as stated by Cerakote on their site. My guess is other colors are lower on the scale (why they focus on a particular black) but probably not down to 4H, or even close.

I am not a fan of powder as it goes on fairly thick.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duktail View Post
Shaun,
I recently purchased a long hood latch from you and was very pleased with the quality of the finish. I had no idea of the scope of your business. Currently in process of turbo "special" bare metal build. In Arizona but will certainly be in touch and sending you a boat load of metal bits. Keep up the fine work!
Hi Barry,

I'm glad to hear it, thank you! I'll be here.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
shaun your stuff was superb love the fan and housing really beautuifyul work. have a bunch f susp parts i must get to you... sty tuned fran
Old 09-05-2017, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Thank you Frank, I'm here for you!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post

TECHNO
Could you give us an idea of how much your plating cost ? Did you do any prep work, like removing the rubber from the spring plates, etc. Was it $20.00 or $399.00 ?

mike curnow
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
??????
Old 12-02-2017, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Registered

Shaun, You're still plating correct? I have a friend here performing a nut and bolt 356 restoration and he was looking for plating options. Thanks. Tom
Old 02-08-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Hi Tom, yes I am. Did some 356 work last year, all clear cadmium.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered

Shaun,
Great photo's, I've forwarded them over. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: