Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hi Shaun,

From the photo above you can chrome plate? How about clear or silver anodizing aluminum?

I need currently black targa window trim chromed to match my 74 trim. The pieces highlighted below in your photo.

I recently had new aluminum window frames machined for my boat. I was going to clear coat them but I think clear anodize may be better. I s this something you can do?

Thanks DRC
Old 12-12-2018, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Yes, I can do chrome but it's terribly expensive. The shop I work with does mostly 7 and 8 figure cars. Those two trim pieces would probably be $800 for the pair. The work they do is better than Porsche original which is significantly better than all the junk SM and other reproduction chrome you can get today. It's driver quality at best but it is cheap.

I do a lot of anodizing work these days refinishing early bright and black frames. But my value add is in refinishing and my unique polishing techniques. I'm assuming those frames are 6061, I would just bring them to a local anodizer and have them done in clear. Local anodizing will be more cost effective than shipping them to me and having them done.

Just got some chrome work back the other day.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

I'm bumping this thread as I've just confirmed something I've long suspected, not all plating is the same.

Here's a pic I took today, 2 brake pad clips. The one on the left was plated by a shop in CT. The one on the right I had plated a few weeks ago. They didn't match so I wanted to replate both of them together. The pic shows what 30 seconds in an acid bath did to each of them. Hard to tell in the pic, the one on the right still has a decent amount of chromate left and all of the replated zinc.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
914-6 GT Resource Page

Garage
Agree.... I have an original set of Recaro seat rails from decades ago, the finish on those are still like-new when compared to similar seat rails I had plated 10 years ago and stored the same way. The local 'defense contractor' plating company that did the work, well, worthless, didn't last long.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
That makes total sense Shaun,

Nice to see graphic evidence.....

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Diving in 911

Garage
How about bits and pieces?

What about misc brackets, fasteners and bits? Do you do a per pound or box size bulk?
1987 951 Turbo
1987 928s4 Granite Green
Old 11-04-2019, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Good questions. Anything that can be plated, I can do in yellow cadmium, clear cad, yellow, black and clear zinc chromate, black zinc phosphate and grey zinc phosphate.

I charge by the piece because every piece is individually prepped. Hardware and parts are cleaned, chemically stripped of all plating, any rolled edges, flaws are addressed, then tumbled to be as new, processed for desired sheen using various methods, all bolt threads are wire-brushed by hand and only then parts are plated. Each piece is hand-wired or racked. I always replace Schnorr, lock and wave washers with new and flat washers when with new when needed. Same with Nylocks.

Per pound plating is typically barrel plated or done with low quality standards.

Sorting out some yellow cadmium Friday.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Yes, a lot of time and effort go in on the front-end to get them to turn-out like this!

Paul-
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Awhile a go I sent Shawn my front shock tower mounts. The turnaround was quick and they looked fantastic... I wish I had sent him everything! So plan your projects accordingly, folks, you will be happy you did.
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...
Old 11-06-2019, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: