Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Topshelf
Question Stuck in gear

Car seems to locked in gear. Tries to pull while in neutral. So, I tried to push it out of the street but the rear wheels were locked.
I managed to get it to move with the engine off, holding down the clutch. Tried to start the enging with the shifter in neutral, holding down the clutch, and it wants to pull off. I noticed that when I walked to the rear, the back up lights were on. I moved the shifter around to all the gear positions, and I feels fine.

Does anyone know what this is? If so, please help me try to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks,

Chuck
1982 911 SC Targa
Memphis, Tenn

Old 12-09-2002, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

What were you doing when this happened?
Old 12-09-2002, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Topshelf
Stuck in gear

I was just exiting off of the expressway, and stopped at the intersection just as I got off the expressway. I noticed that the shifter seemed to be stuck in 5th. Had to use a little rare force to pull it out of 5th. When the light changed, I went into 1st, and that is when my problems started.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Irrationally exuberant

Garage
You might have better luck posting your question to the 911 list instead of the "911 Used Parts for Sale" list.
-Chris
Old 12-12-2002, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

SC's seem to have this problem. First time it happened to me, it scared the heck out of me. Anyway, easy fix...but still not sur what causes it.

All you have to do is remove the inspection cover from the underside of the tranny, yes fluid will come out! You can save yourself a mess and drain it properly first. This cover has four 13mm nuts that hold it on. Take it off and you will see the gold shift forks and the shift rod. The rod should be inside the forks and not on the outside of one of the forks like it probably is in your car. Just maneuver it back in between the forks and you will be set. Reassemble and add fluid.

The only thing I was ever told that might cause this is shifting from reverse to neutral carelessly. I was told to bring the shifter straight up "out of reverse" then straight over into neutral. It is easy to kind of do a diagonal movement...you know what I mean. Just do it carefully.

The other thing that someone told me is that the shift rod that travels through the center tunnel of the car might be bent due to lowering the back end of the motor for repairs without loosening the shift coupler first. Not sure if I buy that but I always undo the shift couple now.

Good luck, Chris

Old 12-13-2002, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: