Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 911 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
FS: NOS Fuel Cell - ATL SP112

EDIT - SOLD

For Sale: NOS Fuel Cell ATL 12 Gallon

This is a New Old Stock model number SP112 that was purchased for a Porsche 911 Race car, but never installed. It's new in the box, but several years old, so will need recertification from ATL. Not a big deal. I even have the original sales receipt.

These exact fuel cells are $850-900 from Summit Racing or Jegs.

I'm asking $550

Ask me about Replica Fuchs (Even Deep 6 & 7R) wheels!

Last edited by gearheadgreg; 06-11-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bump

Old 06-09-2018, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
ATL is one town over from me. I'd be willing to go $500 for it... really not sure what's required to recert, but I'm assuming a new bladder is required since I just did this with my Fuel Safe cell in another car.
93 911 RSA - bodied as a 993RSR
81 IMSA RS Capri
Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
PM sent

Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
My experience has been you don't need a new "bladder" with these ATL cells. These cells have a plastic inner shell, which is very durable and lasts a long time, and all you need to do is replace the anti-slosh foam blocks. It's good to replace the foam on a regular basis because old foam can deteriorate into little bits of crud that can clog your fuel system.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Kevin! I just spoke to Peter R. over at ATL... guess the rub is that they can't recert if its older than 5 yrs. They can give an add'l cert up to 2 add'l years. He says since it (assuming it never had fuel in it) might be "re-certable" so gonna take it over there when I get it... I'll at least replace the foam. It my experience racing with the groups I've been with thus far, no ones been looking for holograms... they just ask how old the cell is? I know there's some pretty old cell containers out there... I do know most have properly maintained cells although, again , some pretty freakin old.
Chris
93 911 RSA - bodied as a 993RSR
81 IMSA RS Capri
Old 06-11-2018, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
KTL... Is Correct on ATL Bladder!

Yes they do have the black bladders inside... what you are looking at inside the fill tube is the rubber flap... it looks dried out?
Here is a pic of mine mounted in a DE car.
Ron....

Old 06-11-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
I bet the rubber filler neck flap just has dust on it. and if it's not been filled with fuel then you shouldn't need to replace the foam either. When you do need to replace the foam, the foam kit is only like $100 and you can cut it to your needs (like say you have a slosh box or hydramat in the cell) very easily with a long razor.

I agree most scrutineers are taking appearance into consideration in addition to the actual documentation. But if it's in good shape then they're not going to sweat you too hard. You'll certainly know if the tech inspection guy is giving you the hairy eyeball stinkeye look while he's inspecting it? I don't think that's going to be the case here since this one is brand new out of the box. What I would do is seek out the tech inspection group before you even fill it and show them it's new old stock.

Sure the exterior looks brand new but they may say, "hey, how do I know you didn't just buy a new exterior case (the steel case is actually not all that expensive and you can buy every single individual part for ATL's cells) and reuse the "bladder?" The outer casing is of course important too, as it's what holds the cell into the chassis. But it's the inside that really matters for certification. So since it hasn't been filled with fuel, the plastic cell has not reacted to it yet. The fuel reaction is actually an important issue here because the fuel actually makes the plastic swell a bit and it grows to fit the casing. Sounds completely BS but it's true.

Reason I know this is because I asked ATL about the fit of the plastic cell with the interior of the steel casing. My original cell (same exact type of ATL cell except mine's the 15 gallon SP115 ) that was already installed in my racecar had the plastic cell jammed into the casing and I had a hell of a time getting it out. This happened because the previous installer "shimmed" the plastic cell into the steel case with some 3" wide by 1/4" thick aluminum around the sides. This was apparently done because they saw the loose fit of the cell inside the case and they felt the clearance needed to be shimmed so the cell wasn't supported by only the filler plate flange and the lid of the casing. So when the plastic grew due to fuel exposure, and apparently it grows quite a lot, it jammed itself into the casing and it bulged out a bit.

Also make sure you support the bottom of the cell. Some like to cut open a factory fuel tank and use it as a base to hold the universal-fit type of cells like these. My cell was originally suspended across the trunk by two lengths of square bar welded to the chassis tub. There wasn't any support under the cell and the bottom was just hanging there in the air. Over time, the weight of the plastic cell (when filled with fuel) will pull the lid down and cave it in. So I had to make some U-shaped "cradles" and weld them to the bars across the trunk.

Fuel cells are fun.................
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: