Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1969 cooling fan assembly

Putting a 69 912 engine together and need a good source for the fan procedure. Thick washers or not. Any help appreciated. 420 watt generator.
Thinking you in advance,
Rusty
85 Turbo look Cab
62 Twin Grille Roadster (getting close)
Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

Order of assembly is in the Porsche PET online.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Peter, I looked at the PET, there are two drawings, it may be that I had the pieces powder coated and that prevents a good fit.
thanks again,
85 Turbo look Cab
Old 08-09-2018, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The mounting plates on the fan assembly that I have it seems that item 44 (61) on the second drawing would be mounted between the two housing 46 and 47 or 65 and 63. 44 won't sit properly if it was assembled per PET.
Clarification still needed. 1969 engine
85 Turbo look Cab
Old 08-09-2018, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

69 912 fan setup

The mounting plates on the fan assembly that I have it seems that item 44 (61) on the second drawing would be mounted between the two housing 46 and 47 or 65 and 63. 44 won't sit properly if it was assembled per PET.
Clarification still needed. 1969 engine
85 Turbo look Cab
Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
To the front of the generator in this order: 64 (mostly flat pie plate), 61 (reinforcing ring, cupped to 64), 63 (shaped pie plate with exhaust opening facing the engine case/away from generator terminals); secure with wavy washers/nuts (I use flat washers, nylock nuts). Install woodruff key, hub. Stack 59 (shims) to give generous fan clearance to pie plate assembly. Install 55 (fan), 56 (cover disc) remaining 59 (shims), thick washer (if you have it). Snug (not tighten) nut to draw up assembly. Rotate fan to check for true (axial run-out can be 'adjusted' by pressing on fan diameter with various degrees of force by hand). Install 62 (spacer ring), bolt generator into fan shroud and check for fan rotational clearance to shroud. Generally there are two different nuts: the thin is used for the fan, thick for pulley; I tend to use a thick nut on both ends if a spare thick is available..

When satisfied with fitment, use air wrench to tighten fan nut holding the fan with work-gloved hand, being careful to use enough wrench for tight but not so much as to pull/strip threads. A fan nut that is too loose will destroy the hub/fan center in short order. Do not use any tool to hold fan as the fan will bend/distort; I do not think staying generator rotation using the pulley end is good either.

Peter

Important: shim stack is critical when using thin nut: too many the nut will not have full thread engagement; to few and it will tighten by bottoming not against the fan (results same as too loose nut). This highlights the reason I choose to use a large nut fan-side: shim stack less critical/more thread engagement area.

PET (with numbering system used above):

Pie plates (showing # and exhaust slot on 63 - top of photo):

Last edited by Peter Graham; 08-10-2018 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: Important comment
Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: