Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Gasping/popping 912

Hi all, just posted I was going to swap out my Solexs for Webers... BUT, before I pursue that here are the symptoms and I am sure this is not new to you folks but...

-engine runs overall well with plenty of power (mostly) through acceleration
-idles ok when warm
-upon cold start and even a bit later, the engine make this gasping/popping sound with stalling primarily from the drivers side carb
-when normal accelerating, engine power goes flat around 2000 rpm for a bit. If I accurate hard this does not seem to happen.

These carbs were overhauled by a local shop but little they did helped with the problems above.

Ideas, thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-21-2018, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Float level? Might also try posting this over at the 912bbs.org.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A good pair of Solex's rebuilt properly will always perform better !
Old 08-23-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Make sure you have a good sound distributor first otherwise you're wasting your time.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have the same symptoms with my 912. If you figure it out, I would like to hear about it.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Solexes are good carbs, there is no reason not to stick with them.
Webers are good too, but you will have flat spots with them as well (I know from experience with them)

Two of the previous comments are important to check: float level and having a good distributor that is set correctly.
Take care of those two items first.

Check for vacuum leaks around the carbs in questions - gasket leaks, etc.

Also, there are two type of Solex used on these cars: ones that are able to have the throttle adjusted independent of each choke and the others that are not independently adjustable.
Know what you are dealing with before you drive yourself nuts.

Get a synchrometer and check the airflow to each of the carb throats....adjust to make them all the same.

If the problem persists, you might need to take the carbs apart and check the circuits to make sure they are all clean.
Check that the jets are all the same and correct.

Good luck,
erik.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Most carburetor problems are electrical in nature. Double check your ignition system, perhaps even slip in a new condenser. Don't discard the old one however as the failure rate for new overseas produced electrical components is shocking.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
Most carburetor problems are electrical in nature. Double check your ignition system, perhaps even slip in a new condenser. Don't discard the old one however as the failure rate for new overseas produced electrical components is shocking.
Is it still as shocking if the part fails?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: