Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
912 Flywheel Span Nut

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble getting the Span Nut off of the Flywheel. I bought a 750lb Torque wrench which won't budge it. I broke my torque wrench, and bent a 1/2" cheater bar. I just ordered a 3/4" cheater bar, and am using a long piece of steel tube -probably 4 or 5 feet- to extend the cheat. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? I have considered heating up the nut, but am worried about heat transferring to much to the case. Please help!!!

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
PM sent
Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Never had one that wouldn't come off with a 3/4 cheater bar and 5 ft. pipe with a large friend standing on the motor , try to gradually loosen it with a large air gun + big compressor I have bent several Craftsman 3/4 bars make sure you're using a high quality bar , Jim
Old 11-08-2018, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Jim! Bought a 1k+ Impact today, and a new 3/4" cheater that is heavy duty! Will let you know what happens!

Rob
Old 11-08-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I got it off!!! It took heat and a 1k+ impact to do the job. The 750ft lbs impact wouldn't budge it. Thanks for the advise guys!!

Rob
Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan009 View Post
I got it off!!! It took heat and a 1k+ impact to do the job. The 750ft lbs impact wouldn't budge it.
Is there evidence that Loctite was used? (Loctite is not indicated for 616 gland nut.) If not, inspect crank threads carefully: a stock crank will have its threads pulled at that sort of massive torque...

Peter
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: