Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
66 912 fuel gauge issue

Hello,
Finally getting my car back on the road and I am having issues getting the fuel gauge to work. Previously, when it would intermittently stop working I could put some dielectric grease on the connections and tap on the gauge from the drivers seat and it would start working again. Now, I get nothing . I did remove the sender when I replaced the fuel tank and it looked OK. Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this? All connections appear solid. The other gauges work as they should. only other electrical issue that I'm aware of is the turn signal relay needs replacing. Thanks.
Jake
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AirJose
Hi Jake,
Take the sending unit out. You can open it up and clean it. Do it in a table as is a careful operation. You will need some spray oil, long needle nose pliers, and a 1" x1" piece of 1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper.
1. Open the bottom of the sender after oiling the center and open the locking washer so that the small nut comes out.
2. remove the small nut with the pliers and then careful open the tabs (4 or 5) and slide the tube out.
3. Look at the unit, there are 3 long thin wires connected from top to bottom and a thicker center rod. Don't touch the 3 thin wires! Grabbing the top metal connector see if the center plastic slides up and down as you tilt it.
4. With the sandpaper sand all the rust and gunk of the center rod carefully without stretching the three thin wires. Spray the center rod and it should slide easy up and down. reassemble in reverse order closing all tabs and bottom washer.
If any of the wires are broken the unit is damaged as is too hard to repair and maintain the thin wires tension. It is a delicate but somewhat sturdy unit. that can be used for a long time. PM if you get stuck!
Jose

Last edited by AirJose; 02-12-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks so much for the reply. I will try that this weekend. I have noticed when I keep it over half full it seems to function more frequently (suspect its a sender issue) so I bet your method will get the sender working better . Thanks again!
Jake
Old 02-12-2019, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AirJose
Jake
You are welcome. The tube will look clean but inside it gets a little corroded. To clarify the oil is to be used to assist in removing the small nut in the bottom of the sender with the needle nose pliers and the center rod wile you sand it. Add some clean oil again in the center rod. The center plastic will then slide up and down with ease. It should take you about 30 minutes and the gauge will work great!
Jose
Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: