Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1967 912 Restoration

Hi All, First I'll introduce myself being that I am a new forum member. My name is Levi Taylor Magyar. I recently purchased what I thought was the shell o0f a 1969 912. I own a 1969 VW Bug and when a 69 912 "project" emerged I jumped at the chance. As soon as I got the pile of parts home the mystery began.

The car as it sat was wearing 3 coats of paint. It started life as Polo Red. Then it was painted some shade of yellow, then Polo Red again. As I unloaded the front latch panel, yes it was detached... I noticed two things. 1. The panel had only red paint on it, and 2. It was made of galvanized material. So its post 73ish at least because Porsche was not galvanizing cars in 1969. The rest of it sure wasn't.

So the first number I check is on this panel and it came back to a 66, VIN#458638

I went to the dash and found VIN#459327, OK- on to the frunk and uh oh. Nothing- well clearly a poor attempt to conceal the under-hood VIN. i noticed a poor attempt to stamp a 4 and a 3 in what I feared was welding rod- hence the materials rejection of the stamp.

I scratched at it and it was soft so I heated it with a torch and low and behold it was lead! I heated it and agitated it with a wire brush and the VIN began to appear. It matches the VIN on the dash so I've dated it as a 66 build at the Karmann factory and sold as a 67 model year. So I landed a short wheelbase earlier car.

Supposedly a title exists and I'd bet it corresponds with the VIN on the nose tin. I have a theory, but she clearly has a checkered past. My wife named her Trixie because she thinks it fits. So long as shes supportive I dont care what she calls the car.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome Taylor
Looks like a project more pictures Please.
2002 Tundra 4x4
Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Receiving stolen goods

Save yourself a lot of grief and possible legal problems. Its a stolen car, end of story. Go get your money back no matter what the story is.

Mike Curnow
Old 07-15-2019, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
There isn't much 912 owner activity on Pelican

912bbs.org is the place to be
https://www.912bbs.org/forum/
'69 Beetle
Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: