Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Brown ground wire in chamber beneath fuel door

Just got my car back from getting a new OEM fender put on it - after someone pulled in front of me and gave me a 1 second reaction time. However, there's a brown ground wire with a brass female clip coiled up in the chamber underneath the fuel door -- unconnected. My guess is that I just need to get a wire connector and bolt the wire beneath one of the 3 bolts that connects the fuel door hinge to fender(?)

Question is, in the original state, where was the brass male connector (in the chamber under the fuel door) that the brass female connector plugged into?

You don't suppose the ground wire should not be there, or a connecting ground wire is missing?

I guess it should be on the wiring diagram.

Last edited by wkrtsm; 02-21-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Old 02-21-2020, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The wire grounds the fuel filler to the chassis on the early cars.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Darryl's Garage has a good photo of the fuel filler ground wire.

The collision shop must have lost the brass connector that is fastened down by one of the screws for the fuel door hinge, so I'll just mount one on and connect the wire.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

1969 Karmann Coupe. Brown wire underneath folded original protective flap. Attachment can be seen on left side of gas fill lid.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks for the pic. Yep, the collision shop lost the bolt on ground terminal that the wire connected to, and didn't install it. (it was a repair/collision shop that does of work on classic EU cars, but they were rushed at the end, since the job was taking 3 months and I wanted the car back. Oh well, i had to do some other small fixes, as they weren't a true Porsche restoration shop).
Old 03-21-2020, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Can anyone tell me if the ground wire is connected to the body work or it a wire in the wiring harness

Thanks
Old 03-22-2020, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
David:
It's just a "dead" ground wire that goes from the filler neck to the fender. In the photos above you can see that they connect to the body using the mount for the filler lid.
Bill
Old 03-22-2020, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Bill

Old 03-23-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: